Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice Idea!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpowell01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Voice Idea!!!! Reply with quote

I am going to create a Voice Program called "The 16 Voices of Heaven" which will consist of nothing but voices.

Since the Kronos has the capability of utilizing 8 Multisamples/Layers per OSC I want to create a full 16 Layer Patch.

Has anybody ever used all 16 Layers to create a patch/program yet in the Kronos?

I'm not going to release the details of the patch or how I'm going to do it just yet but lets just say since I retired in 2012 I've purchased over $5k of software instruments and I now have a large library of stuff.

Think about it 16 Voices of Heaven should give you a clue as to what I'm planning. I was going to just sample my Alesis Fusion and release everything here for free but instead I'm going to do what I use to do before I retired and just create new stuff from the old that manufactures just do anyway.

I've always believed Patches/Sounds should be freely distributed whenever it comes to hardware keyboards. I'm not saying people who sell their work is wrong whatsoever. People has put a lot of hard work into their stuff, they should reap what they have sown. Myself on the other hand, I'm retired and I get three good paychecks each month so I don't need any money. God has blessed me beyond any substance and measure. Its about HIM, giving HIM the Glory not about giving myself anything.

Anyway I would like your inputs, no matter who you are.

I can tell you I just loaded up a lot of VST Instruments into my Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 app and man just wow, just wow......I have everything I need to sample everything...
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 16 velocity layers used, does not excite me, because my inability to sensitize my fingers to the kind of touch it takes to bring out each velocity layer exactly when needed.

I guess it would be alright for me if the differences between each velocity layer, were evenly graded for volume and each one being very similar tone and timbre to the one before and after it. Like piano style, where no real problem if i don’t hit the key with the exact velocity for a specific layer.
The next one in line will easily be close enough

Complex velocity layers are great from simulating pianos or acoutsic instruments that bring in articulation via touch sensitivity.
Any one can work with those, but some of the velocity layered choir voice programs in Kronos factory set, are not easy to finesse unless i play with intent to be surprised by what sound comes out every time i touch a key..

Maybe you have some genius ideas of sample selections for velocity layering.
Always welcome to change the game for us in vocal programs.
And show us something we never imagined we would have at our fingertips with kronos.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using many velocity layers works well for very dynamic instruments like acoustic pianos. For choirs, it will not feel natural using a keyboard as the interface. For example, there are choir programs with which you can change syllable/consonant/etc depending on velocity, but they are quite limited for that very reason.

Much more important is to create programs with minimal RAM usage, undetectable loops, neutral temperament and EQ, which take advantage of Kronos features like aftertouch, controls, etc.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you, I love any forms of voices.
So, I bought the full bank of Soundiron : https://shop.korg.com/kronos
rpowell01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I see what you fellas mean on controlling the velocity of each layer. Well I guess I could just sample each voice, create a program then from there create a Combi which then you would have control of the each layer's velocity and it would allow whoever to use each program to their own choosing.

Okay I will start working on creating a Full 128 bank of voices then I will create the "The 16 Voices of Heaven" in a Combi....

Yes or No?

I will check out SoundIron's stuff. I love voices and anything orchestra. I do have an old JV 1080 here that has the Orchestra board I bought years ago. I was thinking of using that but I would need to buy some hardware to bring the quality of the sound from that thing up because I can tell you if you listened to old boards like the JV1080 and todays Korg Kronos you would understand the Kronos is a beast even currently with whats out there.

Its my only wish Korg would go full 64 bit because of MEMORY/RAM reasons.

In the near Future you will see Windows and possibly OS X, not on a DVD/CD but you will have to buy a a RAMStick. Coming to a store near you.

Last, the next big thing is 5D Disc which is exactly that, 5 Dimensional Data Storage.....Oh and the storage capabilities of this little disc is, here is comes, 360 Terabytes!!!!! And it will last 13.8 BILLION YEARS...
Poseidon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpowell01 wrote:
Yes or No?

YES!

rpowell01 wrote:
I love voices and anything orchestra

I love it too.

rpowell01 wrote:
I do have an old JV 1080 here that has the Orchestra board I bought years ago. I was thinking of using that but I would need to buy some hardware to bring the quality of the sound from that thing up because I can tell you if you listened to old boards like the JV1080 and todays Korg Kronos you would understand the Kronos is a beast even currently with whats out there.

Probably it is not worth it.

I have XP-80 with 3 exp. boards, one is SR-JV80-16 Orchestral II. The synth is in working conditions but the keybed suffered Red Epoxy Syndrome.
I am using MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid audio interface, and I would say you would really need some pristine interface to make Orchestral board sound good enough to compete with Kronos.
rpowell01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
rpowell01 wrote:
Yes or No?

YES!

rpowell01 wrote:
I love voices and anything orchestra

I love it too.

rpowell01 wrote:
I do have an old JV 1080 here that has the Orchestra board I bought years ago. I was thinking of using that but I would need to buy some hardware to bring the quality of the sound from that thing up because I can tell you if you listened to old boards like the JV1080 and todays Korg Kronos you would understand the Kronos is a beast even currently with whats out there.

Probably it is not worth it.

I have XP-80 with 3 exp. boards, one is SR-JV80-16 Orchestral II. The synth is in working conditions but the keybed suffered Red Epoxy Syndrome.
I am using MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid audio interface, and I would say you would really need some pristine interface to make Orchestral board sound good enough to compete with Kronos.

Yea the JV1080 really doesn't have a loud/large output whatsoever. That why I was thinking of buying some type of dynamic processor interface to bring out that true quality of the sounds in this board/module. There is no telling how many times Roland actually sampled then resample these sounds to get the sounds they have in a lot of their boards today. I had an XP50, my first ever Keyboard Workstation even though compared to today's boards it really wasn't a workstation. Yes you could record up to 16 tracks but no sampling, no audio input whatsoever. I loved the XP50 but I quit playing for a couple of years because I got burnt out. But I can say those two years I didn't play I learned more then than while I was playing. That was the weirdest thing.

But you may be correct it's most likely not worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: