Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minilogue XD - thoughts on synth/sequencer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like to see more than 16 steps on the Minilogue XD sequencer?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 4

Lathrolestes luteolator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Minilogue XD - thoughts on synth/sequencer Reply with quote

Hey y’all,
Newbie here. Since falling in love with the architecture and workflow of my Monologue I wanted to see who else was stoked for the Minilogue XD?
I am drooling about the added digital oscillator, joystick and effects BUT
and it’s a pretty big but, cause I’m a sequencer nut, is the limitation of only 16 steps on the sequencer. I mean that’s it? Only 16 steps?
I find that to be the biggest limitation of my Monologue but can swallow it for the price point but please Korg at least double it up on the XD. I’d be elated for even 32 steps and it could function just like the last gen Minilogue. A single button to switch from 1-16 and 17-32.
I suppose the ship has sailed, but possibly a firmware update could somehow do the trick?
I know I could get an outboard sequencer but why? Many other synths (Moog GM, Novation BS 2 and even the Roland JX-3P from 1983) have at least 32 steps.
It doesn’t seem like a huge ask given that the sequencer is already there in beautiful glowing blue. I’d gladly pay a few more bucks even.
I just don’t understand in this age of massive cheap memory, why any modern sequenced synth would be limited to 16 steps.
The Analog Keys is probably the best example of what I’m looking for, Or the Arturia MB2s (but no patch saving) but I’m not drawn to the feel of those synths. I wanna stick with Korg cause I love the layout and tactility of the Logues.
Doc_T

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its always a self limitation in order to be able to sell an external sequencer or something. I think the limitation leads to inovative use of the synth, like the very basic EGs. But than again you can use motion sequences like sixteen step envelopes with any parameter and the 'crippled' EG is no longer such a problem.

I found that I can switch between sequences when switching between patches. Three times the same patch with different sequencer patterns and I can switch between the patterns while they play by switching the patch. And you can do repeat effects by editing the number of steps while it plays. Its all possible. If you use the LFO as a delay effect you can get 32 steps since it will double the played note.

But it has only sixteen steps. And only 25keys. And no ADSR EG. And...
Lathrolestes luteolator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doc_T and I agree wholeheartedly. Limitation drives innovation and the 16 step constraint forces one to experiment with the existing parameters. There are certainly some creative workarounds to oscillate more notes, generate great dynamics out of the motion sequencer, and patch switch on the fly. In fact this very process has forced me to learn so much more about the gear and provides a lot of fun in and of itself. Much amazing music over the years has been created in this way (I was just admiring the simple beauty of the bass line in Bjork’s Human Behaviour) But 16 steps is a legitimate barrier when trying to sequence more dynamic, progressing melodies.
My question continues to be, and perhaps there’s a perfectly reasonable answer/tech constraint, is that given current technology: why the need for this particular limitation on any new, moderately priced sequenced synth? Would it jack the price up that much to double up the steps? The architecture is basically already there.
My best guess is that companies have to hit product price points and thus make compromises somewhere to do so.
Don’t get me wrong though the Minilogue XD looks like a LOT of synth for the money even with only 16 steps. An extended sequencer would just take it to another level... a level that would be a guaranteed buy for me.
Lathrolestes luteolator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant: army of me - Bjork
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to remember that these 16 steps can represent up to 16 bars of poly sequencing if you're looking for something like an epic pad with more duration. When you consider that live-recorded motion sequencing is captured at a higher resolution than 16 steps, you begin to see possibilities that let you squeeze a lot out of that initial limitation.

Of course it'd be better to have 64 steps, but it could be said that some immediacy gets lost when you have to dial up those other 3 bars. For what it is, the sequencer on the Monologue kicks major ass to the point of allowing whole beats to be made with a single sequenced voice(!) and some gradual tweaks to keep it fresh. To see something like that in an instrument like the xd looks awesome, although I don't know if it'll hit on the drum machine side like a Monologue.

The range looks great though, and having 500 user slots means a lot of opportunities to extend the pattern like Doc_T said. This thing is a sequencer's dream even if it only has 16 steps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: