Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB for stick stop working and after Kronos not startup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gustavovillela

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: USB for stick stop working and after Kronos not startup Reply with quote

Hi People,

I am working to solve a big issue... I tried many tips from my friends in Brazil that experience the same problem, but anythink didn´t work. I´m waiting for Korg Service Repair schedule and praying Sad

I tried to connect a USB stick on Port-A, but Kronos not recognized. I formated the USB stick and tried again.. nothing happened. I turned off and back again, but Kronos didn´t boot. I got the message "SYSTEM STARTUP FAILED" - please turn th KRONOS off, wait, and then turn it back on. (If any USB devices are connected, please disconnect them first.)

I did exactly the recommendation, I booted sucessufly once again and tried using another USB stick do a backup, then doesn't work any USB port, only MIDI. I did a backup using the sofware synchornization by MIDI. I use my KRONOS for more two days and now it stuck on the same error message.

Tips that I had tried:
1 - Open the KRONOS, remove memory DIMM clean the card and put it back - not worked
2 - Check the SATA cable and reconnected again - not work
3 - During the period the it were working, I ran a media check using menu and everything was ok.

Please if you have another tip or advice, I will appreciate a lot!

Thank you and sorry for the long post.
Mac OS High Sierra - 10.13
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I’m not understanding your problem. If your K starts up without anything connected to it, and works properly that’s great news. Are you trying to load files from your memory stick to the K? Maybe you can try a new memory stick and try saving a back up to it. Are you using a UPS?
Track 7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: USB for stick stop working and after Kronos not startup Reply with quote

When you formatted the USB stick, did you do it on the Kronos or on a PC? I've had the problem you are describing when I've tried to use a stick that was not formatted on the Kronos. If you can get your Kronos to boot without a USB, try putting in a new stick and formatting it on the Kronos.
gustavovillela

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Kronos not startup any more.... the boot process hang on the same point and the same message. I always use a UPS.

Falcon2e wrote:
Perhaps I’m not understanding your problem. If your K starts up without anything connected to it, and works properly that’s great news. Are you trying to load files from your memory stick to the K? Maybe you can try a new memory stick and try saving a back up to it. Are you using a UPS?

gustavovillela

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: USB for stick stop working and after Kronos not startup Reply with quote

Now Kronos not startup any more.... the boot process hang on the same point and the same message. I always use a UPS.
Track 7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repeat: First boot up your Kronos with no USB stick. After booting, then insert a stick and format it on the Kronos.
gustavovillela

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: USB for stick stop working and after Kronos not startup Reply with quote

Track 7 wrote:
When you formatted the USB stick, did you do it on the Kronos or on a PC? I've had the problem you are describing when I've tried to use a stick that was not formatted on the Kronos. If you can get your Kronos to boot without a USB, try putting in a new stick and formatting it on the Kronos.

First I formatted on Mac as FAT32, after I tried to do on Kronos, but at this point one of USB port no more worked. I make a simple test using NanoPAD2 and only works in the second port. After this test I plug the USB stick formatted on KRONOS and not recognized and then I lost the second port, and a Kronos hang at the startup without any USB devices connected. I did a addtional test formatting the same stick on a PC and it works fine.
gustavovillela

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track 7 wrote:
I repeat: First boot up your Kronos with no USB stick. After booting, then insert a stick and format it on the Kronos.

sorry if I did not explain the situation clearly... I did it, but startup stuck on the same point.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a couple failures a few years ago, that was before I found out my firmware needed updating to version 1.08.
gustavovillela

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon2e wrote:
I had a couple failures a few years ago, that was before I found out my firmware needed updating to version 1.08.

I updated to 1.08 and to OS 3.1.2 on Dec2017, until to last week everything was working normal. I tried to connect the CD-ROM and make a Full Recovery but doesn't work, probably because the USB port are demaged. The CD-ROM turn on but the startup process hang before the begin of recovery process.

Thank you for your tip!
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m sorry I don’t have any more ideas. Hopefully you’ll get the help you need here.
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a failure with the USB board and as such as it's a direct component for the kronos, there are 2 possible failure points...

1: USB B socket has shorted and panicked or shocked mainboard.
2: USB internal cable may be damaged somehow.

There is 1 way to test this, be careful doing this.. Take the back off your kronos and go to the mainboard, providing it's not an 88 note model you can get to the internal USB sockets on the mainboard. Connect the USB DVD drive and power up the kronos, being careful s to how you place your kronos on a stand, etc. If the kronos boots using the internal USB's on the board to the DVD drive with restore media, then it confirms a failure on the USB channels to the module at the rear of the kronos, depending on which kronos you have and also warranty, contact Korg who may be able to help you with parts if out of warranty, if in warranty, get it serviced.

I would test one potential matter of interest if this was me. if booting the kronos produces an error (error you haven't described), leave the kronos unplugged for a few minutes to discharge, turn the power switch on for 5 seconds, then off, give it another minute, then plug back in. this is a PSU discharge method. I state this clearly that you must disconnect power, all connections, etc before you perform this process. If you reboot and have the same error, it's likely the SSD's been corrupted in process.

If you're able to boot from the internal USB sockets of the board with the DVD drive, restore the SSD by performing the erase and full install. monitor it carefully, reboot after the process finishes .

Please bear in mind that SSD's in kronos workstations can be sensitive on boot / reboot. Wait 10 seconds or more after powering off to power back on, otherwise the likelihood of an SSD boot failure is high.

Please let us know how you get on with this.

lew
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:
This sounds like a failure with the USB board and as such as it's a direct component for the kronos, there are 2 possible failure points...

There is 1 way to test this, be careful doing this.. Take the back off your kronos and go to the mainboard, on with this.

lew

Not much to add.

Is your K under warranty ? Your local Korg service would be the priority.

If not, and you are inclined to DIY, its not the ' back ' you remove,
its the bottom cover - which has +28 screws.

Plus you would need to tip your K upside down very carefully, as its easy to snap off the flimsy vector and joystick. Support that section with some cushion.

There are many posts on the removal of the +28 wood screws. Proceed with caution .
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:

There is 1 way to test this, be careful doing this.. Take the back off your kronos and go to the mainboard, on with this.

lew

Not much to add.

Is your K under warranty ? Your local Korg service would be the priority.

If not, and you are inclined to DIY, its not the ' back ' you remove,
its the bottom cover - which has +28 screws.

Plus you would need to tip your K upside down very carefully, as its easy to snap off the flimsy vector and joystick. Support that section with some cushion.

There are many posts on the removal of the +28 wood screws. Proceed with caution .

lol, that's what I meant, bottom of the kronos, sometimes referred as back depending on manufacturer's instructions. also as original poster did not make clear which kronos was owned including size, the kronos would either be wooden or steel (kronos LS underside is steel sheet)

Thanks for reminding me about the padding warning for the kronos. I use the end cheeks from the kronos box when needed, but if not, lay the kronos on cushions or bed with the duvet on, just let the vector and pitch stick side just hang a little off the bed. that's sometimes useful.

If you're in the IT sector, there's a USB stick which is a board diagnostic tool, doesn't matter about the OS, it can check board voltages, errors, etc. sometimes comes in handy but in this case, a tool which would create rabbit holes rather than answers.

I was a bit alarmed by the Cleaning RAM sticks, etc that concerns me as the potential of ESD damage may have been introduced.

Also, the error hasn't been described, is the error a boot failure due to the SSD, a RAM error, POST, etc? without clarity of information, we can't fully solve the issue.

Yes, it's always a good idea if there's a suspicious error, to check connections including power, SATA and other connections, checking seating of RAM, etc, but removing and cleaning the RAM shouldn't be done without a proper ESD grounding.

sorry if all that sounds obvious, but this is for the original poster. You and I understand these things well lol.

have a good one.

lew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: