Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Combining Sampled Programs from Different PCGs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DjStiky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Combining Sampled Programs from Different PCGs Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I just became the proud owner of a new Kronos 2. I think it will greatly compliment my Korg PA4X. However, been struggling with trying to grab programs along with associated samples from different PCGs and combining them into a new PCG which I will be loading exclusively. Loosing any other associated data like Combis or Set List entries is ok since I will be making my own combies from scratch.
What is the most straight forward way of doing this?
Thanks!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few vacant Program, Combi, and Set List slots so, unless the plan is to develop an extensive collection of custom Progs and Combis, I would suggest using the existing "spare" capacity on the Kronos. There is a certain amount of flexibility in the locations PCGs use.
DjStiky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so let’s say I loaded individual programs to empty slots in a user bank.
The samples are still being referenced from the old PCG file structure right? How do I avoid that and make my own PCG structure along with KSC with just the samples I need for the programs i’ve loaded? I would also like them to use virtual memory instead of ram. I’m guessing I would then include my new KSC in autoload.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

First off, back up everything in Disk mode. Use the internal disk or an USB stick for the save directory.

I strongly recommend you read this excellent discussion below and especially try and apply the examples given by Dan from Korg http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=93039&start=0&sid=65450c1851bc0da26a560b2532ddefd4.

Don't worry if you do mistakes at first, it is part of understanding the Korg intricate progs/combis/waveseqs/etc structures and how they are loaded and saved. By saving everything first, any mistake can be undone with a simple load saved/backup PCG file.

You can also download/use several freeware which are invaluable tools to help you organize your Kronos : the Kronos Editor, PCG Tools, TidyKronos and also Onksor.
DjStiky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s exactly what I did. Formatted hard drive, I did a factory reset with the DVDs also formatting the SSD, did the OS upgrade, reauthorized the 2 EXS libraries included with the Kronos 2 and then backed up everything in Disk mode. So now I have a fresh start.
Now a couple of friends sent me their PCG file structures from which I want to take a few programs along with associated samples. I will be loading these programs individually in an empty bank. I also understand there are 2 bank types: EXi and HD1 so obviously going to use one of the HD1 banks for sampled instruments.
So now let’s say I’m done loading the programs in disk mode... this is where I’m confused.
What comes next? How do I stop referencing my friend’s KSCs for the samples and make my own PCG structure with new KSC that has only the samples needed for the programs I took that will reside on the SSD, with samples being loaded to Virtual Memory? Do I just do a backup?

In the PA4X, it’s as simple as loading a “sound” which is a program from a “SET” which is a backup of everything. The PA4X loads the sound in an empty slot of your choosing, but also imports and appends the associated multisamples into memory. Then all you need to do is save everything into a new “SET” and you’re good to go. So you can see where my confusion is coming from. LOL
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DjStiky wrote:
What comes next? How do I stop referencing my friend’s KSCs for the samples and make my own PCG structure with new KSC that has only the samples needed for the programs I took that will reside on the SSD, with samples being loaded to Virtual Memory?

Hi again, I hope you tried to experiment with the examples given by Dan from Korg on the previous link. I'm not entirely sure what you want to do, but if I'm correct, you want to create a totally new KSC from existing parts coming from other KSCs, without keeping the originals.

What you have to do then is :

- Work in Sampling mode and load/keep only the MS/samples you want to use in your newly created programs. Here you should also create programs from each MS you like using the Convert MS To Program option.
- Back to Disk mode, create a new directory on your Kronos first where the stuff will go, there do a Save sampling data using the "Force new user sample bank ID" option.
- Left to do will be in Global mode to add the new WhateverName_UserBank KSC in the Auto-Load menu.
- Don't forget to do a Save All (or partial one if you prefer) after that to create a complete PCG of your Kronos. The new programs will be included in it.
DjStiky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Dan’s post was very helpful. So was yours. I will give this a shot and see how it goes. Thanks so much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: