Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg SQ-1 MIDI-behavour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris-korg

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Weirdo!

Korg came out with "their" FAQs quite a while after I wrote down my findings but of course you are right - anyhow it would be technically possible to have (almost) "linearity" with MIDI as well: the SQ-1 would then have to fill the "gaps" between notes with pitch-bend messages (I wrote once such a program, so I definitely know that this works)

Conc. setting the key of course you are right BUT I´m a lazy person - try to use 5V-chromatic, that´s rather a "Hercules"-task to pick the correct notes in a different key than C...

Doepfer´s Dark Time has a different Approach:
you set (in a rather simple procedure) "your" 7 notes of the key you would like to have and the DarkTime does the rest..
tastyjammz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: deciphering the the Korg FAQ Reply with quote

"You can use MIDI OUT (including USB-MIDI) or SYNC OUT to synchronize a MIDI device, volca, or electribe to the SQ-1. SYNC OUT lets you synchronize the tempo of a monotribe, volca, or electribe. By connecting an external MIDI device to MIDI OUT, you can also control the sequencer's start/stop as well as tempo synchronization.
"
If I take this at face value, and assume "the sequencer" is refering to the sq-1, I would be connecting a midi cable from the midi OUTPUT of my audio interface, and using the SQ-1 midi out as an INPUT and it would be recieving midi-clock from my DAW

this is either genius, or really bad and sloppy communication/use of English
ajs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Converting sync in to MIDI clock out Reply with quote

It appears from everything I have read here that the following is possible, but I'd like another pair of eyes on this to make sure:

I have a different device that controls analog sync, it passes into a volca slave chain which would then pass into the SQ-1. I'd like to sync an older MIDI-only Electribe to this chain, such that the MIDI Electribe is a slave to analog sync. It would seem that this SQ-1 could do this? If not, is there another box that might?
Steinberger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting sync in to MIDI clock out Reply with quote

ajs wrote:
It appears from everything I have read here that the following is possible, but I'd like another pair of eyes on this to make sure:

I have a different device that controls analog sync, it passes into a volca slave chain which would then pass into the SQ-1. I'd like to sync an older MIDI-only Electribe to this chain, such that the MIDI Electribe is a slave to analog sync. It would seem that this SQ-1 could do this? If not, is there another box that might?

Yes, you can definitely do this.

An alternative remotely in this price range and one if the other hot hardware sequencer topics as of late is the BeatStep Pro. Mixed results with clock sync and firmware issues have also been a hot topic for that matter. My issues have been relatively minimal however.

In my experience the SQ-1 has been rock solid and extremely useful whether using it as the primary sequencer or as an additional modulator source for my analog stuff when combined with the Electribe or the BSP.
seadflo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this was addressed but can someone confirm if there is a way to send only the clock out through the midi on one channel and not the notes ?The idea is to sync the clock from the sq-1 with other devices but also have it send notes on the alternate channel as well for the sequencer.
Basically am trying to run the sq-1 into a synth module and in turn have the clock sync with 2 separate samplers and another syth.
Problem is in almost every configuration the sq is sending all the notes as well.
esivertsen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie Munro wrote:
Midi behaviour
It also does no midi to CV transmission. More than this because the clock is not being transmitted or converted, any cv modulation being sent is not in time either WTF!

MIDI to CV conversion is possible via the USB MIDI connector:
http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/sq_1/faq_tips.php

I've tried it myself, it works fine.
Ableton -> SQ-1 -> MS-20, et voilá...

E.

Last edited by esivertsen on Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Piss Salad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seadflo wrote:
Sorry if this was addressed but can someone confirm if there is a way to send only the clock out through the midi on one channel and not the notes ?The idea is to sync the clock from the sq-1 with other devices but also have it send notes on the alternate channel as well for the sequencer.
Basically am trying to run the sq-1 into a synth module and in turn have the clock sync with 2 separate samplers and another syth.
Problem is in almost every configuration the sq is sending all the notes as well.

MIDI clock doesn't run on a specific channel so you can do both.
colinrobot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Midi Note Lengths Reply with quote

Sorry if i'm in wrong place please redirect me if i am . I've just started using the SQ-1 , can you change the length of the MIDI notes per step? I want to use it with my Yamaha FB-01 to make bass lines... can it be done? Any help appreciated .Thank you
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It is the CV/Duty mode. It reduces the number of steps back to 8 of course. First row are the notes, second row the length.

Have fun
purplecity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bit of a strange one - despite the specific mention of this in the FAQ, my SQ-1 does not respond properly to start/stop when I have clock coming into the sync input.

USB, no sync = starts correctly at the beginning of the sequence, in time, can control start / stop with my DAW

USB, clock input to 'sync in' = starts in time / on beat, but at whichever point in the sequence it's stopped at. also stops responding properly to start / stop, I need to hit 'play' on the SQ-1 before it recognises the start command from my DAW

any ideas?
QUAKEULUS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Korg SQ-1 MIDI-behavour Reply with quote

chris-korg wrote:

SEQUENCER STEP RESOLUTION:
Here in my opinion the manual is very vague! ("specify the resolution of the steps")

Changed my setup as follows:
Volca Beats (master clock) - sync-out to SQ-1 sync-in; SQ-1 Midi-out to Volca Keys Midi-in

Changing the Global parameter settings as described with the Sequencer-Mode-Selector:

Modes 1-3: SQ-1 (slave) runs in the same tempo as the Volca Beats (master-clock); BUT sync-out from SQ-1 to the Volca Keys changes (4x, 2x, 1x compared to SQ-1)

Modes 4-6: SQ-1 (slave) runs in at half tempo as the Volca Beats (master-clock); BUT sync-out from SQ-1 to the Volca Keys changes (4x, 2x, 1x compared to SQ-1)

Modes 7-8: are equal to Mode 6

Please elaborate.

By Modes 1-3 are you referring to 1 being quarter, 2 being 8th, 3 being sixteenth?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: