Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radias R x 2 or 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhaamirez

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Radias R x 2 or 3 Reply with quote

Quick question: Is it possible to connect Korg Radias Rack x 2 or even 3 times. If so how this can be accomplish. There is one older YouTube video shoving fellow playing Radias x 3 but no any other information.
Anyone had any experience with more than one Radias? What are the benefits/negatives? Thanks in advance.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, you can using MIDI. You can use MIDI THRU to MIDI IN to link one module to the other. Or you can use an extra box (MIDI IN to several MIDI OUT) to distribute the MIDI events to the different modules.

Benefits: more voices, although one module already offers 24 of them. Or having a fatter sound (unison) Or more different timbres layered and/or split. In these cases you need a keen setup of keyzones.
Negatives: not really, keeping all the things going (3 modules to tweak on!) and having a consistent sound may be a difficulty.

But hey, I would say this applies to all setups where you try to control several devices in parallel, whether they are the same or different ones.

Have fun
Sekwenz32

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: radias x 3 Reply with quote

Hey there. I also have 3 radias on top of each other. Im trying to find some info about the internal board ( KLM-2698 ) inside the keyboard. Currently they are connected with midi thru but i want the midi before the first radias. Any info about the 9-pin pin outs or anythings else please? thanks
Kossi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: radias x 3 Reply with quote

Sekwenz32 wrote:
Hey there. I also have 3 radias on top of each other. Im trying to find some info about the internal board ( KLM-2698 ) inside the keyboard. Currently they are connected with midi thru but i want the midi before the first radias. Any info about the 9-pin pin outs or anythings else please? thanks

pinout for the to host miniDIN 9-pin connector on the keyboard:

Code:
  -----
  7 8 9
 3 4 5 6
   1 2

1: AGND
2: +5V
3: TxD
4: GND
5: RESET
6: RxD
7: DETECT
8: -12V
9: +12V

so a serial connection basically, midi data may not be expected on these outputs at this level
Sekwenz32

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much Kossi!

So you think if i i get the serial data from the 9-din to arduino with midi shield? would that work?

or maybe get a Altech Midiface LX Midi Interface with serial input would also work? ( faster option)

thanks
Kossi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I have no insights or documentation about the communication protocol Korg used for its so called 'Korg Komponent System' introduced with the Radias and M3 keybed and abandoned shortly after.

But what I am able to tell is, that the MCU used in the keybed is one of this series:

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/249545/RENESAS/H8/3687.html

Following page 259 the supported serial connection parameters are described, bitrate of the keybed itself is documented with 31.25kbps up to 62.50kbps.

Especially the 31.25kbps look kind of 'suspicious', as this is exactly the bit rate used with the MIDI 1.0 spec.

So if I would have to wiretap the data stream, I'd therefore start with 31.25kbps, 8-N-1 setting and check whether the data captured looks somewhat MIDI-alike. I would at least expect similarities.

Have fun and good luck!
Sekwenz32

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you thank you. ill post updates if i ever manage to get somewhere! Smile
Bobcat22

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the outcome of the results with arduino?
Bobcat22

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Image on how multiple Radias modules are stacked? Reply with quote

I am wanting to stack a Radias over the M3 in a professional way, so up to fabricating a frame from wood, as a prototype, then finalize with square tubing.

I would like to see how others have mounted multiple modules so that I get some ideas. I am utilizing the On-Stage Z 2 tier rack system.

My second objective is to mount rack mods at left and right of the M3-M. Using an 88-key Korg keyboard. I am finding that having these modules in a rack away from the workstation is not allowing to easily control them. I am DAW and DAW-less configured.
Bobcat22

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wanting to stack a Radias over the M3 in a professional way, so up to fabricating a frame from wood, as a prototype, then finalize with square tubing.

I would like to see how others have mounted multiple modules so that I get some ideas. I am utilizing the On-Stage Z 2 tier rack system.

My second objective is to mount rack mods at left and right of the M3-M. Using an 88-key Korg keyboard. I am finding that having these modules in a rack away from the workstation is not allowing to easily control them. I am DAW and DAW-less configured.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: