Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MP3 Recording and Keyboard Transpose.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacKenzie617

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: MP3 Recording and Keyboard Transpose. Reply with quote

I have recorded a style as an MP3. I had the keyboard transposed as -4. Thus playing in a G configuration to suit my vocals I was in E flat. The result was that the melody was fine, however my vocals were "down in my boots"
Is it possible to record an MP3 with the keyboard transposed and have satisfactory vocals. I did try Global-Tuning-Transpose Control without success.
Additionally would like to hear from Forum members how they carry out recording backing and vocals. Overdubbing the MP3 ?
Thanks Jim
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim
Transposing an MP3 is never a really good option.
If you are actually transposing the MP3 the quality of the original MP3 will be much reduced.

Would be better to create your MP3 (with your backing vocals) in the key you want to eventually want to sing along with. Make sure the "transposing" is selected before you record the MP3 - try and avoid transposing an MP3 playback -the MP3 will then play back at its cleanest.

My preferred way to "overdub" is to use something like Audacity (free software) and use seperate audio tracks.
I wish Korg would give us WAV recording options - PA4X is a pro machine and MP3 only is simply not good enough IMHO.
It's easy to convert WAV to MP3 later if you want to share smaller files with friends etc... but WAV is critical if you want the best recorded quality.

Maybe even consider buying a small recording desk like the Boss BR800 and record straight to WAV with great multi track recording and mastering features.

(Hope I've understood you correctly here Confused )

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
MacKenzie617

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete,
Just to confirm,
I took a factory style, modified it slightly, transposed it by -4 thus able to use a "G" shape for the melody that was actually in E flat to suit my vocals. I then selected to record as MP3, singing along with the melody. On playback, the vocals sounded as if they were 4 octaves down. I understand from your message, that I would really need to avoid transposing the original, as any transposing of a MP3 is really not an option.
Will need to brush up playing the song in E flat!
Thanks again for your support...Jim
Ron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim - If I understand you correctly, there should be no problem with what you are trying to do. Just to be certain … you are playing a transposed style and singing while using the mp3 recorder. I've done this many times without issue...except for my bad voice. What you hear (while recording) is what you should get back from the mp3 -- your style transposed and your voice.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim

Yep - Ron is correct - just check that you are not accidentally "transposing" the MP3 when playing back - you must play the MP3 without any transpose in order to hear exactly what you recorded (as Ron says above).

Pete Very Happy
MacKenzie617

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ron and Pete for your support. I did a recording without transposing and both the Melody and Vocals were good. Sorry to be a pain but at which point Ron do you transpose after you have completed the recording? How do you achieve the transposed finished MP3 recording that includes the correct vocal transposition, and not as in my case vocals that appear to sound in an different octave than the melody?

Apologies again for going thru all of this.

Regards,
Jim
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim

Is there any way you can avoid transposing the actual MP3 - this will definitely destroy the quality.
Can you record in the key you want as the MP3 in - i.e. transpose the keyboard before MP3 record.

Sorry if I am not understanding correctly....

Pete Very Happy
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim - I transpose the style before recording. Again, to be sure I understand the problem, you want to sing along with a transposed style and record both the transposed style and you singing as an mp3, that is, the xposed style and the vocals both to the mp3 in one take?

If so, this should be easy. Your vocals should be on the mp3 exactly as recorded. I can't think of a way the vocals would record differently than what you hear while recording. I will play around a bit today to see if anything jumps out.

Ron
MacKenzie617

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron and Pete,
Again many thanks for your assistance in this matter. I've finally managed to get a solution to this one, mainly based on your support. Here is my approach.

1. Select song (In this case I was playing in G, however the KY/BD was transposed down by 4 semitones E flat)
2. Record the song with backing and melody. (Style mode)
3. Select Song (Song mode) Transpose the key/bd back up by 4 semitones.
4. Play the song (music and vocals) are now OK

However, I did get the impression that the vocal quality (apart from my singing) improves with the reduction in semitone transpostion.
Anyway, would like to thank both of you again for your time and effort on this one
RE Jim
Ron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim - you are most welcome. I have received lots of help over the years from the people on this forum. Nice to be able to reciprocate in a small way.

This forum is a terrific resource made possible by remarkable people across the globe willing to share their knowledge and time. We are fortunate to be a part of such a group.
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Friends:

I couldn't find on the manual, but as i remember, on PA3x when you transpose keyboard, style and mp3 are also transposed.- Thats the reason why the voice on your MP3 doesn't match new transposition of the keyboard.-
Perhaps i'm wrong, because i couldn't find that tip on PA4x manual.-
With regards.-
Eduardo
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eduardo_Arg wrote:
Hi Friends:

I couldn't find on the manual, but as i remember, on PA3x when you transpose keyboard, style and mp3 are also transposed.- Thats the reason why the voice on your MP3 doesn't match new transposition of the keyboard.-
Perhaps i'm wrong, because i couldn't find that tip on PA4x manual.-
With regards.-
Eduardo

Hope that helps:
Commercial Photography
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Br.
Eduardo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: