Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Portamento (glide) on Polysix program
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aellison62

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Portamento (glide) on Polysix program Reply with quote

Ok, where exactly is the portamento parameter on a Polysix program?? Is it me or is it somewhere not very intuitive? 🤨
aellison62

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind, I see that Polysix doesn’t support portamento.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original didn't have it either. I had one. The MonoPoly had it.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for kicks, I thought I'd see if the Kronos could override those defaults. Unfortunately it can't.

You can go to COMBI mode and select the Timbre/OSC tab to override the Portamento settings on the individual program. But it only works for engines that can do portamento already.... the Poly6EX still ignores glide.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to route the polysix audio into a program that has portamento and then get the portamento to work on the audio input?

I know EXi audio input can happen in several synth engines, and can route audio in via FX control 1 & 2, IFX, indv. pairs, inputs 1&2 plus USB and SPDIF.

That definitely makes it possible to route PlolySix into one of the other synth engines.

The question is wether doing that will allow Portamento from one of the engines to effect Polysix audio.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the real question here is why didn't Korg build portamento into the PolySix EX engine? Last time I checked the original MS-20 was monophonic, yet the MS-20EX can be polyphonic.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
Is there a way to route the polysix audio into a program that has portamento and then get the portamento to work on the audio input?

That won't work. We can discuss why but I don't want to launch into an overly wordy explanation.

The only way to get portamento out of the Polysix would be to use KARMA's auto pitch bend feature. Even then I haven't tried to see if it could deliver a convincing portamento. And if it could I'm fairly certain it would be monophonic. Not the timbre, that'd still be poly unless specified otherwise, but rather the bend calculation would be mono or perhaps get confused by chords. Therefore it'd be best to set the Polysix to mono. Also I don't think each portamento bend calculation would work past an octave away from the previously pressed note.

It's something worth trying if you absolutely need portamento on the Polysix.
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One tedious workaround would be to resample the program and then apply portamento in HD1

....as we forgive those who synthesize against us!!
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCFREE wrote:
One tedious workaround would be to resample the program and then apply portamento in HD1

What an excellent suggestion! Why didn't I think of that Idea
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aellison62 wrote:
Ok, where exactly is the portamento parameter on a Polysix program?? Is it me or is it somewhere not very intuitive? 🤨

As it has been said, there were no Portamento on original Polysix, and nor in PolysixEx.

Some months ago, I've found a method, using Combination :

1°) Prog Mode
A) Take an Init Prog. AL-1 Engine. In Mixer Tab, all volumes at 0, except Sub Osc/Audio. Set Audio Input to Input 1. The purpose of this Program is only to receive another Program audio signal though the Audio Input. So, it won't produce any sound by itself.
B) Locate your Polysix Program on which you want to apply a portamento

2°) Combi Mode.
Take an Init Combi. Place the former AL-1 Prog on Track 1. It will be the "receiver Track", so to speak.

3°)Track 2, place your Polysix Prog. It will be the transmitter Prog, so to speak.

4°) P8 : Insert Effect, Routing 1Tab, Track 2 Bus Select on “1” (Individual output 1). The timbre will be sent in mono to the Individual output 1.

5°) Plug a jack in Audio Individual ouput 1 and in Audio Input 1. In this way, the Polysix audio sound is sent in Audio Input 1, toward the AL-1 Exi Audio Input. So, your Polysix Prog will use the AL-1 settings. you can set the Portamento as you want in AL-1 settings. Your Polysix prog is using all the AL-1 settings, including Portamento.

I hope it will be clear enough.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
As it has been said, there were no Portamento on original Polysix, and nor in PolysixEx.

1°) Prog Mode
A) Take an Init Prog. AL-1 Engine. In Mixer Tab, all volumes at 0, except Sub Osc/Audio. Set Audio Input to Input 1. The purpose of this Program is only to receive another Program audio signal though the Audio Input. So, it won't produce any sound by itself.

2°) Combi Mode.
Take an Init Combi. Place the former AL-1 Prog on Track 1. It will be the "receiver Track", so to speak.

3°)Track 2, place your Polysix Prog. It will be the transmitter Prog, so to speak.

4°) P8 : Insert Effect, Routing 1Tab, Track 2 Bus Select on “1” (Individual output 1). The timbre will be sent in mono to the Individual output 1.

5°) Plug a jack in Audio Individual ouput 1 and in Audio Input 1. In this way, the Polysix audio sound is sent in Audio Input 1, toward the AL-1 Exi Audio Input. So, your Polysix Prog will use the AL-1 settings. you can set the Portamento as you want in AL-1 settings. Your Polysix prog is using all the AL-1 settings, including Portamento.

Can confirm that does not work. Strange because that's the second suggestion to try routing into another synth engine. There's no way to take an audio input as is and apply a portamento effect. Think of it like this, would it be possible to take a person's voice and apply portamento in real time? Nope! It's no different from routing a synth oscillator to an input so you shouldn't expect otherwise. I'd urge you to double check your previous experiment.

Btw, I didn't realize AL-1 carries vestigial inputs from the OASYS. Audio inputs 1/2 work, as well as s/pdif. But the Kronos doesn't have the second pair of stereo inputs 3/4. Would be pretty sweet if it did. There's no way to route to the analog inputs digitally from within the keyboard. Therefore it's not possible to route internally to AL-1 at all. Those were some good learning points that came out of this for me.

There are other synth engines you can route to internally such as the MS-20 or MOD-7 etc. As mentioned, their portamento settings would have no direct effect whatsoever to whatever audio input you feed into them.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charles.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCFREE wrote:

This is turning into an interesting thread.

My initial thought is "that does sound tedious."

My second thought is that it's probably not all that tedious, if internal resampling was something I'd done much of, and really had a process flow down for.

Anyone have thoughts on the best approach for resampling an internal synth? Would it be to record a sequence of each individual note in SEQ, then use time slicing to split them up? Record each note individually? Split them into ranges of a half octave or so and sample only the bottom note?
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

1°) Prog Mode

2°) Combi Mode.

Can confirm that does not work. Strange because that's the second suggestion to try routing into another synth engine. There's no way to take an audio input as is and apply a portamento effect. Think of it like this, would it be possible to take a person's voice and apply portamento in real time? Nope! It's no different from routing a synth oscillator to an input so you shouldn't expect otherwise. I'd urge you to double check your previous experiment.

Btw, I didn't realize AL-1 carries vestigial inputs from the OASYS. Audio inputs 1/2 work, as well as s/pdif. But the Kronos doesn't have the second pair of stereo inputs 3/4. Would be pretty sweet if it did. There's no way to route to the analog inputs digitally from within the keyboard. Therefore it's not possible to route internally to AL-1 at all. Those were some good learning points that came out of this for me.

There are other synth engines you can route to internally such as the MS-20 or MOD-7 etc. As mentioned, their portamento settings would have no direct effect whatsoever to whatever audio input you feed into them.

I don't fully agree with you. I agree because portamento doesn't work with my method.
But, we can apply all other settings (filter, resonance, enveloppe, ,etc) to the initial Polysix signal. I just tried and it works. It can be interesting to get the Polysix signal into AL-1 filters, if we want. We can do many others operations, too.
Indeed, portamento isn't applied. But, as the first audio signal is digitalized, there is no theoretical obstacle to do that. But, you're right : the fact is that it doesn't work !
Yes, I knew it is not possible to route internally an audio signal into the AL-1. That's the reason why I was looking for another way to do that. I knew it was working, but never tried with Portamento setting.
(Three other Exi can do that : MOD-7, STR-1 and MS-20).
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
CharlesFerraro wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

1°) Prog Mode

2°) Combi Mode.

I don't fully agree with you. I agree because portamento doesn't work with my method.
But, we can apply all other settings (filter, resonance, enveloppe, ,etc) to the initial Polysix signal. I just tried and it works. It can be interesting to get the Polysix signal into AL-1 filters, if we want. We can do many others operations, too.
Indeed, portamento isn't applied. But, as the first audio signal is digitalized, there is no theoretical obstacle to do that. But, you're right : the fact is that it doesn't work !
Yes, I knew it is not possible to route internally an audio signal into the AL-1. That's the reason why I was looking for another way to do that. I knew it was working, but never tried with Portamento setting.
(Three other Exi can do that : MOD-7, STR-1 and MS-20).

This thread originally started out as a question about portamento on a Korg PolySix. The original poster then followed up and realized that portamento was not supported on the Korg PolySix. End of story. Yes you can plug it into other synth and use all the parameters you mentioned, but portamento is not achievable. So what was the point of cluttering up this thread. Might have been better to start a new thread. That would be a major help for people whose search the threads for specific topics. Having to wade through a thread like this to find out what they are looking for is not available could be a real pain in the butt. Not trying to be a jerk here, just trying to make these forms a little bit easier to use for everyone. I will admit that I even went off topic a little bit. Please accept my apologies.

Last edited by ronnfigg on Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: