Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Importing a BIAB Chord Sequence
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Spent some time on it this afternoon.
I actually created a simple biab style to use as a template.
Didn’t have a great deal of luck. Didn’t want to change all the settings required within biab itself, so it meant I then had to load the file into my sequencer and do the necessary editing to make it suitable to import into the korg.
Maybe some of the editing isn’t necessary, but I found an easier solution by just using RealBand instead.

Basically I created a simple piano style for biab. So far I have only tested it on simple chords.ie maj, min, 7ths.

I then loaded the style into Real Band.
Typed in my chord progression.
Set the start to bar 1, end to whatever.
Unticked 2 bar ending
Pressed generate midi track, Piano.
Changed track setting to midi channel 1.

I saved as midifile 0 and imported it into the korg.

So far so good. It worked.
Have to try it with some more complex chords and see if it still works.

Update, the more complicated chords caused problems. Biab has a habit of adding additional unwanted notes. Ie my C maj , min, 7th chord, played back perfectly, c maj7th chord biab had a D note added,

Found this also happens when trying to create styles using biab, it adds notes that aren’t actually part of the chord.

Back to the drawing board.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Bernie9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this topic really interesting, as I have BIAB and Pa4X and unsure how to utilize both together'

Bernie
Hammond SK1
Minneapolis Musician

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a topic on just how to do this, a couple of years ago. It should be listed on the topics pages.

PA4x harmonies, Beach Boys song: https://youtu.be/3drsnU6j8Po?t=3m25s

All songs: http://www.reverbnation.com/GlennGalen
Minneapolis Musician

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this to get a BIAB sequence into the Pa4x.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=110741&highlight=biab

PA4x harmonies, Beach Boys song: https://youtu.be/3drsnU6j8Po?t=3m25s

All songs: http://www.reverbnation.com/GlennGalen
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernie9 wrote:
I find this topic really interesting, as I have BIAB and Pa4X and unsure how to utilize both together'

Bernie

Hi Bernie,
I used to have my pa800 midied to biab, and used biab as a defacto chord sequencer ie biab played chords, pa800 would follow chord changes leaving l/h free for other things.

Not necessary now with Pa4x as we have a chord sequencer.
Great practice tool being able to record the chords for a whole song and trying it with different styles, and even be able to save it with the style, or in songbook I beleive ( haven’t tried that as I prefer to have a style set up for each song)

Personally I am going to record the songs I want in Biab as audio files and play them back in the Pa4x. Most of the good styles in biab use some if not all audio tracks anyway.

Used to create the odd korg style from biab midi style. Easy enough to do, really just a case of finding the correct phrases, mentioned earlier biab for some bizzare reason insists on adding notes that aren’t part of the chord you have typed in. Ie a d note in a c maj7th chord, and I haven’t found a setting within a biab style that will stop it.

Another thing I was experimenting with the pa800 years back, was replacing pa800 style tracks in a song with audio tracks from biab using Real Band sequencer, works on normal midifiles too. Ie basically record the song in pa800, load it into Real Band, and add or replace tracks with biab style tracks.
You can basically generate individual style tracks ie you could add or replace a guitar track or a drum track. Provided the chords that were loaded in were correct, the style track you just generated will blend in with the rest of the song. Handy for some of really bad early midifiles.

As for trying to create cs’s using biab, not sure it is going to work, mainly because of the additional notes biab adds. If someone works it out, love to know how to do it. I only managed to get it to work with simple chords ie maj, min, and 7th. Some of the more complex ones it messed up.

I ended up doing cs for a complete song using quick record on Pa4x sequencer. Reason I did it that way was my playing is not that accurate.
I basically recorded it in quick record, then edited any goof ups in the step time sequencer. Took a few minutes, but it does appear to work.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernie9 wrote:

Bernie

Hi Bernie,
I used to have my pa800 midied to biab, and used biab as a defacto chord sequencer ie biab played chords, pa800 would follow chord changes leaving l/h free for other things.

Not necessary now with Pa4x as we have a chord sequencer.
Great practice tool being able to record the chords for a whole song and trying it with different styles, and even be able to save it with the style, or in songbook I beleive ( haven’t tried that as I prefer to have a style set up for each song)

Personally I am going to record the songs I want in Biab as audio files and play them back in the Pa4x. Most of the good styles in biab use some if not all audio tracks anyway.

Used to create the odd korg style from biab midi style. Easy enough to do, really just a case of finding the correct phrases, mentioned earlier biab for some bizzare reason insists on adding notes that aren’t part of the chord you have typed in. Ie a d note in a c maj7th chord, and I haven’t found a setting within a biab style that will stop it.

Another thing I was experimenting with the pa800 years back, was replacing pa800 style tracks in a song with audio tracks from biab using Real Band sequencer, works on normal midifiles too. Ie basically record the song in pa800, load it into Real Band, and add or replace tracks with biab style tracks.
You can basically generate individual style tracks ie you could add or replace a guitar track or a drum track. Provided the chords that were loaded in were correct, the style track you just generated will blend in with the rest of the song. Handy for some of really bad early midifiles.

As for trying to create cs’s using biab, not sure it is going to work, mainly because of the additional notes biab adds. If someone works it out, love to know how to do it. I only managed to get it to work with simple chords ie maj, min, and 7th. Some of the more complex ones it messed up.

I ended up doing cs for a complete song using quick record on Pa4x sequencer. Reason I did it that way was my playing is not that accurate.
I basically recorded it in quick record, then edited any goof ups in the step time sequencer.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Bernie9

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Personally I am going to record the songs I want in Biab as audio files and play them back in the Pa4x. Most of the good styles in biab use some if not all audio tracks anyway."

Thanks Rikki
Now let's see if I have this right. I make up a song in BIAB, record as audio, play it back in PA4x minus the melody, which I play. I don't understand the use of CS on the Korg if it is already a de facto chord sequence from BIAB. No matter, as I will take step one to, at least, utilize some of the great real tracks.

Since I have known you for years, I might contact you personally for specific questions.

Bernie
Hammond SK1
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bernie,
No problem. My biab upgrade finally arrived round Xmas, so did my mother who stayed for nearly a month,haha so I’ve only just gotten round to really having some time to play around with it again.
It sounds pretty good.

Anyway any questions, definitely email me.

The chord sequencer in the Pa4x is great. It’s a function I’d never checked out before either, until this post popped up.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Ron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rikki - thanks for reply. I was trying to create chord sequences on the 4x by exporting chords from biab. Did not work as mentioned above. I finally just let biab play the 4x as you have done in the past and recorded the chord sequence. However, a good learning experience on how chords are actually stored in a chord sequence. Manual could have been better on this.

FYI, there is a factory single track style in biab.

Ron
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron,
Thank you,
I’m aware of the style. Just wanted to try and replicate the output of the Pa4x chord sequencer, and the inversions, and spacing of the notes it used. Wanted to try and make biab style as simple as possible.
Unfortunately didn’t make any difference though. If only biab didn’t add the non chord tones to the style track.it would have worked, and made it so simple, instead of having to play it across. Oh well.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rikki, not sure I am following you. When I examined biab chords to midi file they were fine...no extra notes. On the other hand, when I examined a 4x chord sequence midi file export, it did contain extra notes as I described above. I concluded (right or wrong) that a chord sequence could only be imported to 4x if in a certain format, I.e. The format created by the chord detection algorithm.

Anyway playing the chord sequence in is not so bad. And as you know, you can even skip the cs recording and just create a backing sequence while Biab plays the style.

I had not thought about using the biab audio tracks on the 4x. Sounds like might be interesting.

Best regards.
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron,
Just realising maybe they weren’t additional, that biab was actually converting the c to a d in my midifile, when I used a cmaj7th chord. Even had problems recording across to Pa4x, using the output chord function in biab. Ended up out of sync, even though I had Pa4x set to external sync.

Update.
Worked out why , when playing chords via midi from biab to korg, my settings in biab output channel were incorrect
The ticks before chord change output was automatically set to 40, I changed it to 0, now working perfectly in sync.

Thanks for bringing up the topic, great way to record long chord sequences.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: