Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radias vs Minilogue XD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nene

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Radias vs Minilogue XD Reply with quote

Probably a noob question.

How does the Radias compare with the Minilogue xd? I know they are different in the sense of a VA vs Analog. But in terms of functionality and sound?
eowyn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I haven't heard a minilogue xd or the former model in person but functionality wise the Radias has more to offer: 3 Envelopes, 2 LFOs, 4 timbres and many many effects to choose from. However the Radias can sound very hifi and sometimes harsh. I recently converted some microKorg presets to my Radias and I often had to adjust the filter because it spit out too many high frequencies. There is lots of stuff available for the Radias which is also a plus.

I wonder if it is possible to let the Radias sound like an MS20. Did someone try that yet?
slug

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Radias has many synthesis features that the XD does not, the XD is fairly basic with only 1 LFO and does not even have an ADSR EG. Technically Radias blows the XD away with up to 24 voices, 4 part multi-timbrality, 4 LFOs, variable mode filter etc

So that means Radias can do much more complex synthesis and therefore complex and large sounds, but for basic sounds that you can get out of the basic bread and butter features of the Prologue/Minilogue XD voice architecture, it will just come down to which you like the sound of, and in that regard the XD is then compelling as is has both digital and true analog oscillators.
eowyn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am I missing 2 LFOs? Are they hidden somewhere in the menu? I’m embarrassed Embarassed
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think you're right on the 2 LFOs per timbre. Though the mod sequencers may be seen as flexiible LFO's as well Smile

Concerning the microkorg to radias conversion. I would say it is not abnormal thay you needed tweaking for the filter. It is not guaranteed that both synths use exactly the same DSP algorithms for the filter. But it should give you a good start.

As Slug indicates, for the basic sounds you can convert both Minilogue and MS20 patches to Radias and vice versa.
Fact is that the Minilogue (partially) and MS20 are analog. Some people prefer that over the harshness that digital can/may be (it does not need to be like that). Also, some people look for a particular analog filter implementation as it gives a characteristic sound.

It is not an easy choice, do you go for complex VA synthesis, do you want a particular signature sound or do you want to be an owner of a vintage synth like the MS20?

Have fun.
eowyn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes tough choice there Smile

thanks for clearing things up!
nene

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, thanks for the advise. Love the Radias but I really like the analog sound coming from my ms20. Guess I should pop down to the store to try the xd out
MMTGuy28

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm mistaken, the XD like the original Mini and Monologue STILL HAS NO S&H!

Let me know if I missed it somewhere. I find that baffling. S&H is such a great sound design tool I have no idea why it's not in any of these machines. That omission killed my interest in any of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: