Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EX's Libraries
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flabis66

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Hi Flabis66,

I see you seem to be francophone, so may I suggest this video below for a start. It is a tutorial on how to sample a simple sound. In your example of ducks, it is even more simple, since you would not need to loop your samples. Start with easy things, only one sample first, then create a program with it and learn how to save everything properly. After a few attempts, everything becomes simpler. Le secret c'est la pratique ! Bon clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwtSrqYvPE4

Merci for the link.

I don't want to sample ducks, it was just a concrete example to put words on things, to understand the Kronos vocabulary.

I'm far in the manual, they talk about EX's, Exi, LFO, MSX, IFX but they didn't explain yet what that means !! An index with all this abbreviations is missing , or hidden somewhere?
Speakers: M-Audio BX5
Headphones: Sennheizer ATH-M50x, AKG K712pro, AKG K240
Computer: MacBook Air M1
Stand: K&M 18810
Flabis66

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:

What could help is to think of the Kronos not as an instrument but as a full studio, because it's the case. The Kronos is a Worstation, not a simple instrument. So just imagine a room with several keyboards and instruments, drums, percussions, a mixer, a sampler, an effect unit and a multitrack recorder. Here is a Kronos.
This helped me a lot to think like that.

The second thing wich helped me is to know exactly what I wanted to do before turning on the Kronos.
Do I just want to play pliano ? Do I want to play pad sounds ? Do I want to listen and practise some drums ? Do I want to record what I'm playing ? Do I want to compose a song with piano, bass, drums ? Do I want to sample a beautiful sound I just heard and playing with it ? Etc, etc;

So, I suggest you asked this to yourself before turning it on : what I want to do with my Kronos, just now ? Once this question answered, either you know how to do or not.
If not, there are many way to do : this forum, youtube, manuals. But keep your very specific question in mind not other one.

That way, you will progress step by step. But get rid of the idea you will completely master the Kronos in some days or even some weeks. It will take many times.

That's a very good info and tip ! Thanks
janrhansen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'm gonna get a share of the noobiness d'oh!

I'm also a new Kronos user and here is my question:

Been looking at both Korgs, 3'rd partys and usermade sample packs out there and I can see that like ALL sound libraries containing expansion samples seems to be using the HD-1 engine..

Before getting my Kronos I thaught that I could buy or make my own samples of eg an Acoustic Piano and then use them in the XG engine, but all 3'rd party Piano packs is using the HD-1 engine .. Are the XG engine only for "Korg"samples aor are there any other Reason that only Korgs own new pianos every 3-4 years uses the XG-2 Engine ?

I actually theught the EP-1 engine used samples too, but as I read the manual found out that its "synthesized" so propably based on some form of Physical modelling and not samples
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

janrhansen wrote:

Been looking at both Korgs, 3'rd partys and usermade sample packs out there and I can see that like ALL sound libraries containing expansion samples seems to be using the HD-1 engine..

Before getting my Kronos I thaught that I could buy or make my own samples of eg an Acoustic Piano and then use them in the XG engine, but all 3'rd party Piano packs is using the HD-1 engine .. Are the XG engine only for "Korg"samples aor are there any other Reason that only Korgs own new pianos every 3-4 years uses the XG-2 Engine ?

I actually theught the EP-1 engine used samples too, but as I read the manual found out that its "synthesized" so propably based on some form of Physical modelling and not samples

What are you calling "XG" engine. There is no such a thing in Kronos.
Cansuayip

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone help me,
I just perchase a Kronos LS OS 3.1.2
Trying to download Kelfar Maestro EXs 170
But Iam haveing a message like "Failed.Bad EXsInstall.exsins-OPTIONFILE bad or missing"
Tried several times and ways couldnt succeed..
Thanks
Flabis66

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Just a feed back Reply with quote

Now it's a few months that i've got my Kronos and I love it more and more.
Each day i discover new features, new sounds, new inspiration.
Terminology and how to use it is now more and more clear. I still have a lot to learn.

Here is one of my piano cover that i made entirely on the Kronos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyIqWojXJzo
(.SNG file is available on my website)

And today i've add some new gears to my music room Smile
https://flabis.com/en/my-music-studio/

Sweat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janrhansen wrote:

EP-1 and SGX-2 use muli-samples, but only from EX libraries that Korg specifies. I am sure the samples within the libraries must be created and organized in a very special way. When Korg releases a new piano library they update the OS allowing Kronos to recognize it.

I always assumed that EP-1 and SGX-2 were similar to HD-1 in that they use multisample (EX) libraries, but in addition, they have special parameters that are especially useful to control for editing piano characteristics. However, with the powerful use of velocity switched layers (8 per OSC?) in HD-1 coupled with the Kronos ability to stream from its SSD, I have wondered if the quality of many of the third party pianos and EPs surpass SGX and EP-1. Perhaps others can speak to this.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweat wrote:
janrhansen wrote:
es

I always assumed that EP-1 and SGX-2 were similar to HD-1 in that they use multisample (EX) libraries, but in addition, they have special parameters that are especially useful to control for editing piano characteristics. However, with the powerful use of velocity switched layers (8 per OSC?) in HD-1 coupled with the Kronos ability to stream from its SSD, I have wondered if the quality of many of the third party pianos and EPs surpass SGX and EP-1. Perhaps others can speak to this.

It seems that only Korg can take full advantage of their engines, EP-1, SGX-2.
I have wanted to Korg to continue development[for Kronos} but it does not seem realistic after all this time.

So all we can expect or hope for is 3rd parties to use their skill to improve and exceed
quality. I hope they have the sales to continue funding their effort and excellent work.

Thats the way I see it, possibly there is more big picture that I am unaware of.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweat wrote:
I am sure the samples within the libraries must be created and organized in a very special way. When Korg releases a new piano library they update the OS allowing Kronos to recognize it.

In fact, the Korg acoustic piano (AP) sample sets are just the same in SGX-2 and HD-1. For certain AP purposes, I actually prefer to create custom programs in HD-1, as the SGX-2 engine has a limited number of parameters compared to the vast HD-1 programmability. On the other hand, only the SGX-2 can emulate sympathetic string resonance depending on which keys played.

But here as in any other case, it's always a matter of what one needs. So depending on the piece to play or record, I will sometimes prefer custom AP programs in SGX-2 when "truer" string resonance is needed, but I can achieve AP sounds closer to my view of what should be a perfect piano sound/timbre/interaction using custom programs in HD-1. It can take lots of trial and error before even approaching the ultimate goal.
robbie50

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Password Reply with quote

I send you a PM

Greetings,

rob
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: