Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External Midi Device

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carbo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: External Midi Device Reply with quote

I'm a new user. Can someone explain to me the difference between EXT and EX2 when using the Kronos to send midi program info to an external device. The manual says they both do the same thing but I am wondering if thats correct. Also, on the control surface there is an EXT button. Can I use that to set the midi channel or is that for other controller info? Thanks!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EXT button on the front panel sets the control surface so that it sends MIDI control data to external synths. The buttons above and below that button set the other "modes" of the control surface i.e. to make changes to Audio, Karma, Tone and so on.

The difference between EXT and EX2 seems to be the way Program or patch change messages are sent from the Kronos. EXT sends Bank Select per the control surface changes, whilst with EX2, only the specific Bank Select MSB and LSB messages defined in MIDI channel settings BankSelect MSB and Bank Select LSB, are sent. See the Parameter Guide page 469.
Carbo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you!
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
EXT sends Bank Select per the control surface changes, whilst with EX2, only the specific Bank Select MSB and LSB messages defined in MIDI channel settings BankSelect MSB and Bank Select LSB, are sent.

That is stated, quite well.

Carbo, I show some examples of EXT 2, starting at the 7:30 mark of this video. The link should take you right to that spot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNnM4Ifx0qY&t=451s

When using MSB/LSB on EXT 2, you may need to google a synth's settings. For instance, Roland values for the Fantom series can be found here, particularly page 4 and 5:
http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/selecting_srx_sounds_0707.pdf
Carbo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike thanks for showing me your video. So I get that you use LSB for selecting the bank on your external device and then go back to the timbre to select the program from the selected bank.
What does the MSB option do?

And can you please tell me what those acronyms stand for out of curiousity?

Thanks in advance,

Peter
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSB - Most Significant Byte, LSB - Least Significant Byte.
Carbo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voip, thank you. I would never have guessed that!

So, last remaining question:

Under what circumstances does one use the MSB? I get that LSB targets the bank of the ext synth and you select program in the usual timbre spot.

Peter
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is not simple and straightforward. Looking at Roland's MIDI Bank select values for different models, in the link in Mike's post above, illustrates this rather well. To use the correct values, one has to read the target device's MIDI specification, or other relevant document.

Bear in mind also, that a data byte, as used by MIDI in this context, has 7 bits, allowing 128 possible values, whilst a byte used in computing, and for MIDI status, is generally 8 bits, allowing 256 possible values.

The intentions laid out in *THE* MIDI Detailed Specification document, paint a rather more straightforward picture, though it does allow for manufacturers to use their own MIDI implementation, provided they make it clear to the user.

The MSB is used to extend the number of Banks specified by the LSB in the Bank Select message, from 128 to 16,384 (i.e. 128 x 128). This is done by sending, in rapid order (there should be no delay) CC#00 followed by MSB, then CC#32 followed by LSB, followed by the Program Select byte. Of course, the user doesn't have to think about this since it is the controller that is sending the MIDI data.

If one had 16,384 banks of 128 Programs, that would give a theoretical maximum possible number of Programs, accessible using only Bank Select (MSB & LSB) and Program Change messages, to be 2,097,152.

Bear in mind that MSB and LSB data can also be used to allow finer resolution to be applied to modulation, pitch bend and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: