Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone ever replace weights on a Kronos 2 88

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CEB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Anyone ever replace weights on a Kronos 2 88 Reply with quote

Is replacing the weights possible or is it a permanent part of the key? Etc...

Would Korg sell weights to my tech who is an authorized Korg Servicer?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened my Kronos quite a few times to do the mods I wanted, which sometimes implied to disassemble/reassemble the RH3 action.

The RH3 key levers which act as "weights" are next to indestructible, so I wonder why you are looking to replace them. Maybe you could give more details.
CEB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To create a lighter balanced action that is still weighted yet lighter and consistent across the board and less sluggish in the bass.

I have no idea how the action is constructed. Whether the weights are even a separate part in the action or not. I won't want to do anything that is problematic with a chance or screwing up the instrument.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

For this you would need to disassemble the whole action (not easy) and then cut the 88 metal levers, hoping the new resulting weight would be what you expect. I remember someone doing this some years ago here. I would not try such a mod, as it is simply too risky.
CEB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

No I wouldn't do that. Only if the weights were detachable and replaceable parts and I could get Korg to provide the replacement parts.

Thanks again.
jazzydanz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Key weight mod Reply with quote

I did a key weight mod last week on my Kronos 2 73.

Took a reciprocating saw and cut off between 3-6 grams per key (more lower and less higher).

While I couldn't get super accurate, I just weighed the downweight on keys and glued back on some metal in areas that got cut a little too deep.

Message me if you want more details....

Dan
CorgieFan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CEB wrote:
To create a lighter balanced action that is still weighted

I recently got a Roland A-800Pro (61 key) midi controller to use when playing sounds on the Kronos that don't work with the heavy-weighted keys (like synth lead or organ or harpsichord.)

I got it because from what I'd read it was the lightest synth/keyboard action around on new keyboards these days. It seems like the inexpensive midi controllers have pretty strong "springs" in them these days, too much resistance for what I was looking for.

Anyway, an external controller sounds more fun to me than using a saw. Smile FYI if someone does try that Roland, note that it requires a USB chord for power AND an old-school MIDI chord as well. You also have to toggle a setting called MIDI I/F Switch setting to "OFF" ("On" if you're using it with your computer, off if you're using it to control another keyboard.)
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 types of USB options on your Roland board. I think if you want to use your Roland via USB cord only for both power and MIDI, you need to go into its settings and change the USB option.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CEB, jazzydanz, check out this recent Kronos 88 thread where another user actually achieved what you're looking for.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=98193
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: