Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone have an AKAI EWI they could test on the KRONOS ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was all drooling 2 days back over an EWI.
Dunno yet but might bite the bullet in coming months, might go for 4000 as 5000 might be way too costly for me.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
AdDeRoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not exclude the EWI USB. Depends what you want and if you want the onboard EWI sounds. Then you need the 4000 or 5000. As stated earlier in this thread, the Akai EWI USB works amazingly well with the Kronos, especially using the Busch programs as a start. But you can easily develop your own using the EXs3 sounds.

EWI on Midi Channel 2, Kronos mainly thru Midi 1, with some midifile stuff in the sequencer as backing. Sounds great!

Current gear : Korg Kronos 88 (SN 0979) / Nektar LX88+ / Korg PA2X / Kurzweil K2500R / Korg Nanopad2 / Neo Ventilator / Akai EWI USB / Cantabile / Reaper / Cakewalk / Reason / way too many VST's
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally bit the bullet and got myself the EWI USB.
I haven't played any wind instrument before so I guess it's gonna be a big learning curve. It should be delivered in a couple of days.

Any tips , tricks to make it easier or learning resources are welcomed.
Thx all in advance.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got an EWI USB after years of anticipation.

I need to dedicate more time to it, but I did not get along too well with it immediately. There was no issue communicating with the Kronos. The issue was the breath pressure needed combined with the fingering technique. It was a very humbling and frustrating experience for me. I still plan on taking up the challenge, now that I have some time saved up for regular practice on it.

I'm proficient on the recorder, but beginner to intermediate level on sax and clarinet. I'd suggest to you that investing in a cheap recorder and learning that will assist greatly in learning the EWI, at least as far as fingering goes. There may be some breath settings that can be adjusted to make that part easier.

Let us know how you get along with yours. Hopefully it works well for you. I think eventually I will try the TEC breath controller as an alternative as well.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx psionic 311

I do have TEC breath controller, it does work with mixed results.
Mainly it causes a bit of pressure inside my head causing my ears to block (sinus issues) giving an underwater feeling which gets very uncomfortable within a few minutes.Not sure how much improvement EWI is coing to make in that regard.

I have also ordered a cheap recorder, for more practice purpose, perhaps if it works out will get a better yamaha one.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Yamaha WX5 sitting and waiting for the day when I have time to do something with it...... Rolling Eyes

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
Received my ewi few days back.
For someone who has never played a wind instrument before, it seemed hard, but it aint.
There's a lot of fexibility in fingering for the same note that you can use depending on the phrase you are going for.

I have never been able to do with a breath and bite controller, and a keyboard, what I can achieve with the ewi. The amount of expressiveness is many fold.
So anyone contemplating about it, go get it. You should be able to get going in about 3-4 days with some practice with notes and a scale or two. And then can start working on some songs and building muscle memory.
netunof

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something wrong here, it plays a Cm7 chord along with any note and no expression so far...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: