Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

reading samples from kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
af06

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: reading samples from kronos Reply with quote

Hi everybody.
first of all my question is jot related to management of multi samples!

I need to trigger when playing some long samples just triggered as if i had a mp3 player an press Play. avout 20s long but I don’t think that this is an issue.

My first alternative is to use an external gear such as volca, or ipad with an app. By Î want to challenge taht my magnificient Kronos 2 is able to do that job alone.
As i’ll use my two hands on the keyboard, i don.t want to create a mutisample and assign one key.. exept if somebody tell me how i cas ask the Kronos to start playing when pressing the key.. and continuing to read the sample when releasing the key.

another constraint, I don’t want to use the sequencer.

Is there a solution?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how you can avoid triggering the sample with your hands.
Unless you have a foot operated midi controller or something.

Combi or sequencer seems the best option if you want to play the keys and include a unique sample streaming.
But an HD-1 program can let you use one OSC for your sample and another OSC for what you want to play on the keys, if you need only a basic single OSC program to play.

And if you use externals triggered by Kronos, you may need Combi or Sequencer to set up external midi control.

Sample converted to HD-1 program can be set up with “hold” enabled so that you press the key and release but the sample continues playing.
You may need to record empty bytes at the end if you do not want the sample to loop on hold. The main down side of using “hold” is you can only trigger once without having to reset the hold function in the program.
And reseting hold is simply more work for the busy hands.

Wave file samples stream directly from disk mode if you need and can stream with disk mode page open while program or combi mode stay active under the keys.
But i am not sure how functional the combi or program control surface is while disk mode page is open.
YES disk mode’s screen page needs to remain open when streaming wave files directly from disk mode. Only other option is make a multisample put into a program and stream it from disk in program mode
There is a touch screen play/stop, function provided in disk mode for direct streaming in disk mode, and when stopped, the wave file always resets to beginning. No other options for streaming wave files directly from disk mode. Just play and stop.
Make the sample in sampling mode and set the sampler to save the sample direct to disk. Then you can open the wave file in disk mode and stream it right there.

Kronos can do all that, but the real issue is wether that is useful in what you need to make happen.

There are complex foot controllers that can let you trigger midi notes that drive a sample. You can isolate a midi channel or two for the foot controller and have it match an isolated combi timbre midi channel where you can have a program that uses your sample.

https://youtu.be/RnPey_oYn8c

The FCB1010 controller is the best option i can think of. It can do amazing flexibility to match or exceed Kronos Flexibility.

Karma has some interesting trigger options, but the GE situation is not flexible nor easy to work the GE parameters around randomly long sample lengths, assumng you find a suitable GE for your needs.
Unless you have Karma software and know how to get into GE customization.
And even then, you may not get hands free triggering with Karma.

Hands free is why i showed FCB1010. You cannot go wrong with that if you need hands free control with the same midi control flexibiity as Kronos. Maybe even better flexibilty with that foot controller.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve done this a lot. We use backing tracks on some songs so I loaded them in the Kronos, into the sample editor, converted to a program, inserted in a combi and assigned to the lowest key. Since I MIDI another keyboard I was able to avoid hitting that key accidentally. I have also assigned it to a pad using Nanopad.

A potential problem...you have to prioritize that timber and hope it doesn’t quit before it’s supposed to because of note stealing. A few times our track stopped because I exceeded the note limit. Even with it prioritized.

I decided to use an iPad for the tracks to avoid this. Also, it’s easier to load sounds in the iPad than the Kronos. They have to be waves in the Kronos where they can be MP3’s in the pad. I use iMix pro for the playback.

This may or may not be a solution for your situation but it worked well for me.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: reading samples from kronos Reply with quote

af06 wrote:

As i’ll use my two hands on the keyboard, i don.t want to create a mutisample and assign one key.. exept if somebody tell me how i cas ask the Kronos to start playing when pressing the key.. and continuing to read the sample when releasing the key

This can be done with a single program, where you assign the drum track to select the program that has your sample. The Drum Track settings hava a TRIGGER mode, where you select "Wait KBD Trig."

Basically, you start playing and your sample will trigger with the first note press. However, you will need to make a multisample/program, and a User Pattern, which you can PUT TO DRUM TRACK.

Quote:
another constraint, I don’t want to use the sequencer.

You need to throw out your "constraints" and use the Kronos' features, as this solution requires you to make a multisample/program, as well as a User Pattern to play it in the Drum Kit.

SAMPLING Mode

First, load your sample to RAM, then go to the SAMPLE mode. Select the MULTISAMPLE tab. Select an Index and select your sample. TIP: I usually cut all the index zones, so there is just one zone. You can always add and cut.

From the dropdown menu, select RENAME MS. Give it a name.

From the dropdown menu, select CONVERT MS TO PROGRAM. Save it to a blank slot or just overwrite one that you don't use.

If you want this sample to load up everytime you turn on your Kronos, you'll need to go to DISK mode and select SAVE SAMPLING DATA. Give your file a name. Perhaps it is called "Background."

Two files will be created:
Background.KSC
and
Background_Userbank.KSC

Go to GLOBAL mode and select the KSC AUTOLOAD tab.

Press the ADD KSC button. Select Background_Userbank.KSC. To the right of that, select VIRTUAL MEMORY.

No need to load your sample to RAM, anymore. It will now stream from the HD, everytime you turn on your Kronos.

SEQUENCE/PATTERN Mode

Go to go to Sequence mode and select the PATTERN/RPPR tab.

Select a User Pattern and then press the button that says, PATTERN EDIT. From the dropdown menu, select PATTERN PARAMETER and set the pattern for as long as you like (up to 99 measures).

Press REC/WRITE and START. Simple press the note that your sample is on, for as long as you want it to play.

From the dropdown menu, select CONVERT TO DRUM TRACK PATTERN. You have any of 1000 User pattern slots to put it in.

Select that User Pattern in your Drum Track.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind taking your hands off of the keyboard, you can use the virtual pads to play the sample. Select a Combi, which has your keyboard program (Track 1/Channel 1) and your sample program {Track 2/Channel 2).

In Combi mode, select the EQ/VECTOR/CONTROL tab.

Select PADS.

Uncheck ENABLE PAD PLAY and assign Pad 1 to Channel 2 (your sample).

Re-check ENABLE PAD PLAY.

Press CHORD ASSIGN. Press the key that your sample is on, then press Pad 1.

As someone said, you will need to go to the program of your sample. PROGRAM Mode -- COMMON --PROGRAM BASIC, then select the checkbox for the HOLD parameter. That will play your sample for the duration.

If you want to stop the sample from sounding, you can make the program MONO and just press a key without the sample on it.
af06

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for all these answer. I"ll test that next WE.

my use case is to cover dream theater songs such as The mirror. samples are not music but voices from movies. Off course I have to trigger the start of reading and this and be done by one hand, pressing a keyboard key, or pushing a pad, bot less esasyly by using menus, or even ipad screen, . there are lot of things to play on such songs, and the movement shoud be a bit destructive for my ipad screen..
on these songs i use a set of combi . on such passages I.m using just one combi. I can easily either program the analog inpout of the kronos to mix the source from an external gear, of use another layer thay may play the samples, triggered by a particular key of the Kronos.
I may use a drum type multisample, where eack of sample is assigned to different key. if I.m not wrong, drums samples are triggered then played until the sampled is totally read...
I.ll test that.
thanks.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

af06 wrote:
I may use a drum type multisample, where eack of sample is assigned to different key. if I.m not wrong, drums samples are triggered then played until the sampled is totally read...

Yes, you can have a different sample on every key of the drum kit. Again, a drum kit is assigned inside of a program. You can use the HOLD feature for that kit. Or, you can set a Amp envelope to a setting of your liking (in the Program) and then do amp env offsets (in the Drum Kit).
af06

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to share experience, I’ve bought ipad app called i-jingle pro.
It makes the job.
tunaman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: reading samples from kronos Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:

SAMPLING Mode

First, load your sample to RAM, then go to the SAMPLE mode. Select the MULTISAMPLE tab. Select an Index and select your sample. TIP: I usually cut all the index zones, so there is just one zone. You can always add and cut.

I use this approach myself for triggering the rain and lightening sequences for Riders On The Storm, and have them mapped to the top and bottom keys on my Kronos.

One suggestion to add to Mike’s excellent recommendation and guidance - be sure to unload any existing samples before you load the new samples, else you will save everything in the individual file you create through this process. This will ensure that the KSC and Userbank.KSC files only have the sample(s) expected.
media-igor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: reading samples from kronos Reply with quote

I constantly use Programs that I myself have compiled from different WAV files. Different keys have the sounds I need. When necessary, the HOLD function is used. I.e. just press and release the desired key and the file will play completely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: