Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

V3 and its new improved "B3-Leslie" and.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: V3 and its new improved "B3-Leslie" and..... Reply with quote

Had a rehearsal tonight with my band and I said nothing about the V3 upgrade.
We play a massive variety of old and new songs a couple of which are hits by Crowded House like "Don't Dream It's Over" with its classic B3 Hammond solo...
As sonn as we finished the song I was asked what I had done to the organ sound - they thought it was so improved - I admit that when I actually went into the solo I also noticed how nice (different) the V3 DRAWBAR organ is - more full and authentic.

...and Korg have fixed the PA4X DRAWBAR bug!!!!!

Can't exactly describe it but I think the total sound is different in a good way.
Other feedback:-
We use the VH extensively and that too seems to be better in regard to volume balance and lead/harmony volume flexibility.
Sounds have improved too - some of our styles played tonight were surprisingly better sound-wise.
All my sample sounds are working fine so far.

This update rocks!!!!

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: V3 and its new improved "B3-Leslie" and..... Reply with quote

Excluding a few teething problems which I'm sure korg will address... I agree with you there Pete about the improvements with V3 and I'm glad you mentioned about "total sound is different in a good way" i have noticed this also.. i did wonder if i was imagining this... assuming this is correct? it would be interesting to know how that was achieved just from a technical curiosity point of view... So all in all very good and i like the new Gi alot.

Last edited by D575 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:31 am; edited 3 times in total
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to hear.

I've noticed a definite improvement in the Vocal Harmony section. Less distortion and more clarity. Plus as you say, the balance is much much better.

As far as the drawbars go, I'm not a big fan. I can't stand the default Noise settings when you go into the Drawbar mode. And the Leslie, even with adjustment, sounds like a vibrato on fast speed and not a doppler effect. Comparing it next to my Nord Stage 3, it doesn't come close.

However, overall the keyboard does sound much better and runs much smoother. The improvements to the MAXX EQ section must account for the sound changes.
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbrkr wrote:
That's good to hear.

I've noticed a definite improvement in the Vocal Harmony section. Less distortion and more clarity. Plus as you say, the balance is much much better.

As far as the drawbars go, I'm not a big fan. I can't stand the default Noise settings when you go into the Drawbar mode. And the Leslie, even with adjustment, sounds like a vibrato on fast speed and not a doppler effect. Comparing it next to my Nord Stage 3, it doesn't come close.

However, overall the keyboard does sound much better and runs much smoother. The improvements to the MAXX EQ section must account for the sound changes.
I'm not sure the New fillter EQ curves in the MAXXAUDIO EQ are responsible for the noted improvements in the over all sound quality (fidelity) that has been mentioned recently as the bell-shaped curves are effectively operating the same behaved Q values before OS V3 (2nd...also the clue is the colour of the bell filters opposed to the shelving filters) and the shevling filters offer the smooth cutting of the designated Q values which is New this time with OS V3... i noticed this unconfirmed (by korg) improved fidelity without applying the New shelving filters (which are very useful) with my previous OS V2 MAXXAUDIO settings carried over to OS V3... it could be that there has been some other improvements further back in the audio chain included in the new software update?... So as I'm a curious sort of guy I will drop korg a line to confirm either way this discussion... I have known with other keyboards and similar audio circuitry in other products (like DAC etc) to be tweaked and improved with software updates.. this might perhaps be the reason why a few of us on the forum across some of the V3 threads have noticed this.....
sbrown5925

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Ballard Strings DNC glitching Reply with quote

After my update to v3 I found the sounds to be fuller and noticeably better.
Except Ballard Strings and Ballard Strings DNC.
Give em a two handed bootfull of chord, hold that and listen... Drop the volume peddle down. Try headphones as this brings it real in close.
With mine, after the update, they have an unfortunate glitching jumpy tone. It stands out a mile to me.
I reverted back to v2 .2 and this issue goes away.

My fathers Pa4x does the same now also on v3.. I hope someone.else detects this fault and maybe korg.can fix.it.in.a.future update
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a false start with the update which has taken me the last day to sort out I have now spent enough time with the Organ Revamp in version 3.

My impressions are favourable of the new layout but why the hell have Korg decided to delete the adjustable Harmonic Percussion Volume ???

It is now preset between Soft and Hard, Korg speak for Soft and Loud but both settings are not authentic to the real thing, previously you could set the Percussion Volume exactly as you wanted it and this aspect is in my view a backward step.

Next up is the last two high drawbars 1. 1/3 and 1. For some reason when compared with Version 2 these two drawbars are too low in volume and dont seem to play correctly over the range you would expect, also when Percussion is selected it should cut out the 1ft drawbar.

This is not a bug but as Korg intended but nonetheless should be put right in the next update.
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ballard Strings DNC glitching Reply with quote

sbrown5925 wrote:
After my update to v3 I found the sounds to be fuller and noticeably better.
Except Ballard Strings and Ballard Strings DNC.
Give em a two handed bootfull of chord, hold that and listen... Drop the volume peddle down. Try headphones as this brings it real in close.
With mine, after the update, they have an unfortunate glitching jumpy tone. It stands out a mile to me.
I reverted back to v2 .2 and this issue goes away.

My fathers Pa4x does the same now also on v3.. I hope someone.else detects this fault and maybe korg.can fix.it.in.a.future update
sbrown5925 as you have A/B this and also confirmed this with your farthers PA4X...worth copying this over into the Sticky V3 bug section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: