Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos with Korg Nanopad2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look like it to me. Have a look at page 793 of the param guide. If you reset the CC's to default, KARMA scenes look like they become remote-controllable. But it is a single CC (#30 by default), and it uses the value (0-7) of that CC to determine the scene.

I don't think the NP2 is that configurable. Looks like it can send CCs from the pads but will only send a 0 or 127.

Of course I don't have a NP2, so I'm not the expert for sure. Actually trying to figure out if it's worth picking one up so thought I'd look into it.

Just curious... why do you want to do this when there are already dedicated buttons on the K for switching KARMA scenes? I'm sure you have a good reason but it's eluding me. Smile
sj1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
It doesn't look like it to me. Have a look at page 793 of the param guide. If you reset the CC's to default, KARMA scenes look like they become remote-controllable. But it is a single CC (#30 by default), and it uses the value (0-7) of that CC to determine the scene.

I don't think the NP2 is that configurable. Looks like it can send CCs from the pads but will only send a 0 or 127.

Yes, that's my analysis also. At this point I'd be surprised if that's not the final analysis.

When working with the KARMA software (rather than just the Kronos itself) I'm used to having chord pads and scene pads right next to each other (on the NP2) placed at any convenient location of my choosing. If that were possible when working directly with the Kronos only then I would want to do it. That's all.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC#s can be sent from the nanoPAD2 pads, but only having the value 0.

The XY pad allows CC# messages containing non-zero values to be sent. Although Karma scenes can be changed using the XY pad, it's a completely impractical method for controlling Karma scenes on the Kronos. Even with the velocity curve set to "heavy", all the Karma scene changing action happens at one end of the XY pad and is imprecise, to say the least.

Interestingly, the original nanoPAD appears to have the ability to set individual on and off values for CC# messages generated by each of the pads. This is based only on the Korg Kontrol Editor's user interface behaviour for the nanoPAD. Whether the hardware itself works like this in practice is another matter but the nanoPAD has only 12 pads, and the Kronos will grab the first 8 to map to the Kronos' "chord pads".
krossuser4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Nanopad2 - Kronos question Reply with quote

Hello voip and others.. Nanopad2 and Kronos question

How can I programm Nanopad2 and Kronos to
change lead sound- programm, if I play sequencer or Combi?

Or how I can mute-unmute with Nanopad2 Kronos tracks?

What controllers parameters I use to change with Nanopad2 Kronos programm banks?

And please all write your experiences as you use Nanopad2 with Kronos

thanks

voip wrote:
Out of the box, the nanoPAD2's top row of pads will trigger the 8 programmable chord pads that are associated with each Program and Combi, whilst the lower 8 pads trigger single notes. The nanoPAD2 is also useful for playing Kronos drum kits.

The nanoPAD2 pads can be programmed using the Korg KONTROL Editor software, downloadable from the Korg website.

http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/158/

The X-Y trackpad control surface can be mapped to changing Program or Combi effects parameters and, out of the box, sends Control Change messages 1 and 2 for X and Y, and can markedly affect the sound of a Program or Combi, and leave it altered, seemingly mangled. In many cases, the changes can be restored by tapping the trackpad at bottom left i.e. X=0 and Y=0 and will not be made permanent unless the Program or Combi is saved.

Install the Korg MIDI drivers before connecting the nanoPAD2. The Korg KONTROL editor can be used with several other Korg controllers, such as the nanoKEY, nanoKONTROL and Taktile deivces.

The editor allows customising the nanoPAD2 to make each pad transmit a wide range of note, control change, or program change messages.

It seems rather pointless to use the nanoPAD2 to change Karma scenes, since the buttons to do this are already to hand on the Kronos top panel. However, it might be a useful as an exercise to better understand the workings of the Kronos, in which case the front panel buttons on the Kronos can be assigned specific CC message numbers in the "Controllers" tab, and the Program Up/Down in the "Function Assign" tab. Both tabs are found in the Global "Controllers / Scales" tab. The nanoPAD2 pads will need to be programmed to match these settings. Care needs to be taken in selecting CC# messages, since some are already allocated to doing stuff, like damper pedal and modulation.

Playing big fat chords, spanning several octaves, is one very useful application of the nanoPAD2. The chords themselves can be set up e.g. for SGX-2 pianos the "Pads" tab under the "Common" "button", and for Combis the "Pads" tab can be found under EQ/Vector/Control, accessible from the main screens.

Karmalized

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

I too am having problems with the Nanopad2 with the Kronos.

The top row oof pads play fine but the bottom row there is no sound nor does the X/Y pad work.

Are there steps on the Nanopad itself to get these features working?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Karmalized
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to use the nanoPad2 with the Pa4x for changing sounds. There are these string of midi commands assigned to various parameters (CC#00 - CC#32 - PC). I was surprised to find out that you can NOT program an individual Pad (on the nanoPAD2) to transmit CC00, CC32 and Program Change messages!!! So in order for me to use the nanoPAD2 to do something as simple as selecting a Sound, Style or a Keyboard Set, I would need to assign Pad#1 to CC00 , Pad#2 to CC32 and Pad#3 to program change. In other words, you have to press 3 pads on the nanoPAD2 to make something happen!

I assume most Kronos parameters require more than just a simple PC message, so using a nanoPad2 doesn't help a whole lot.

Apparently the original nanoPad could transmit all 3 messages through one pad. That changed with the "improved" nanoPad 2! Who thought that was a good idea?!

stevewahl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the question asked earlier in this thread, using the nanopad to cause karma scene changes... I've just gotten a nanopad myself, but due to other projects I don't have time to try this right now.

But in a limited scope, it may be possible to change karma scenes using the pads on the nanopad. This would require Sequencer mode. Supposedly you can set up RPPS to send sysex messages, not just notes (from a Rich Formidoni youtube tutorial, was possibly on the M3, but I think would still apply to the K). So, perhaps you could set up some RPPS sequences that cause karma scene changes, assign them to notes outside the keyboard range, and assign those extra pads on the nanopad to these notes. In theory, at least, this would let you use the pads to change scenes.

Like I said, this requires sequencer mode to get RPPS, so it's not exactly what was desired. But perhaps it'd be useful to somebody, so I thought I'd mention it.
Mr Gibbs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All!

I have recently purchased a Kronos and have a nanopad 2. I understand the simple plug and play aspect of the nanopad and I have even used the editor to make some minor adjustments. However, I am still having difficulty getting the nanopad to perform some more specific tasks. Such as.....

Playing in a worship setting warm pad sounds are often a go to. The nanopad seemed to be a good option to trigger these sounds. My issues is that in combination mode I only want the nanopad to trigger the desired chords on the timber set to the pad sound and I want the other sounds (like piano) to be only on the keybed. At the moment my nanopad is triggering all of the sounds which again is undesired. Can someone give me a little guidance with this. Thanks in advance.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gibbs wrote:

I advance.

//

Last edited by GregC on Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="GregC"]
Mr Gibbs wrote:
Hello All!

I have recently purchased a Kronos and have a nanopad 2. I understand the simple plug and play aspect of the nanopad and I have even used the editor to make some minor adjustments. However, I am still having difficulty getting the nanopad to perform some more specific tasks. Such as.....

Playing in a worship setting warm pad sounds are often a go to. The nanopad seemed to be a good option to trigger these sounds. My issues is that in combination mode I only want the nanopad to trigger the desired chords on the timber set to the pad sound and I want the other sounds (like piano) to be only on the keybed. At the moment my nanopad is triggering all of the sounds which again is undesired. Can someone give me a little guidance with this. Thanks in advance.

In combi mode, when using the Nano, I believe all timbres/programs are in Global channel midi or Gch.

I guess you want to add piano to the particular combi, similar to a custom layer.
Possibly you can use keyboard zone to dedicate piano only.
If you have an 88 its easier. For a 61, not as much room.

depending on your 'piano ' zone you will need to edit the zoned program notes triggered by the Nano. Since they are all on Gch.

This sounds like some work- maybe there is an easier way
Mr Gibbs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have an 88 model. In short, I want the keys to be set to play only the piano timber and the nano pad to trigger my synth pad timber. I am sure this is possible but I’m a kronos rookie and could use some guidance to get the ball rolling.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gibbs wrote:
I do have an 88 model. In short, I want the keys to be set to play only the piano timber and the nano pad to trigger my synth pad timber. I am sure this is possible but I’m a kronos rookie and could use some guidance to get the ball rolling.

Cool, you have an 88,

I think it's possible. But since you are emphasizing the Nano , you have to customize the particular Combi you are playing.

So yes, its Kronos learning curve time for you.

In your Combi mode, select the first available muted Program slot or timbre,
lets say its # 7.

Copy in the Piano program you like . Use the upper right hand menu for the Copy from Program command. You will see a dialogue box.
Check IFXs all used and Midi timbre 7.

Go to Track Paremeter and change the midi timbre from 7 to 01G
for your Piano.

Then go to " Midi Filter Zones " tab.

Press " Keyboard Zones'.

This is the screen that lays out all the programs used including your Piano section for playing the Combi.

You will see all the Top key and bottom key split points.
I believe you are going to have to customize all of these to allow your piano to play independently in the zone you have established.

I am not 100% sure but I believe this approach will work.

If none of this makes sense, you will need to follow Kronos terminology and basic navigation and how the modes work. And how to save changes.

You could also wait another day or 2 to see if there is an ' easier ' approach.

With Kronos, you have to learn to walk before you run. If you owned a Korg keyboard before, it will be easier.
Mr Gibbs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I will start exploring it based on your advice. Maybe there are some other perspectives as well, but I’ll have to wait and see. Regardless it’s an amazing instrument and does far more than I ever imagined it would.
Very Happy
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set the timber you want the pad to play to a MIDI channel other than the Global channel. (Ch2 for example) then, edit the pad channel from the pad screen to match. Each pad can be a different channel.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Mr Gibbs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming that when you say “pad screen” your speaking of the global menu setting correct? Or does it have to be done in the Korg KONTROL Editor software? Or both?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: