Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"No Room On Medium" error message

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wagnergrad96

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:09 am    Post subject: "No Room On Medium" error message Reply with quote

While trying to record my vocal track, it stops recording and gives me this message - "NO ROOM ON MEDIUM' (or something to that effect).

There is 6 gigs of space available on the hard drive.

There are 4 gigs of ram and nothing else being used except sequencing mode.

The track uses minimal midi - its mostly audio files and much less complex than most of the other songs I have recorded, so I have no idea why this message is appearing.

Any ideas?

- Tony
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is the Song Length limit? It might be worth a quick try. Go to the TRACK EDIT page -- select SONG LENGTH from the dropdown menu to make it longer than 64 measures.
Wagnergrad96

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
Maybe it is the Song Length limit? It might be worth a quick try. Go to the TRACK EDIT page -- select SONG LENGTH from the dropdown menu to make it longer than 64 measures.

I'll check that, but I am 99.9% certain that's not it. The song is complete except for the vocals
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure to record your vocal track INTO the kronos hard drive ???? Please verify. The "medium" means, maybe, where your record

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Wagnergrad96

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
Are you sure to record your vocal track INTO the kronos hard drive ???? Please verify. The "medium" means, maybe, where your record

Yes, that's why this is so weird. I've done dozens of songs over the past six years the same exact way.

I'll mess around again later today and verify all the settings. With the state o my voice these days I only really get one shot per day. This song is Pat Benatar's "We Belong" and goes up to a C! Twenty years ago i'd have no problem! Smile
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same problem when "saving to disc" in my Kronos. I've tried deleting songs but had no luck.
If anybody can find a fix for this issue, it would help immensely.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory Protect is not enabled, correct? (GLOBAL mode on the Basic / Basic page)

Since you've been recording for awhile, I'll assume you know you can set in Sampling Mode / Audio In where you want the recording to take place -- RAM or Disk.

If you choose to Sample / Record to RAM:

Have you unloaded the RAM? In GLOBAL mode on the Basic / KSC Auto-Load tab, you can see at the top how much free RAM you actually have to record with. I have the max 3GB ram installed (like you), but only 730 MB free upon which to record, because the KSCs loaded on bootup take up the rest of the RAM.

You may need to temporarily unload some of your KSCs to free up more recording space on your RAM. Use *CAUTION* and back up everything before you do any of this sort of stuff (DISK mode: Save tab / Save dropdown / Save All).

I'd advise against doing any changes unless you really know what you are doing.

---------------

If you choose to Sample / Record to Disk:

What happens when you go to DISK mode, Utility, and from the upper right dropdown choose "Check Medium"? Perhaps the HD disk might have fragments that need to be repaired.

---------------

My last thought on this is maybe there is no longer a contiguous section of your HD that is big enough to hold long audio recordings. Even though you have 6 GB free, the disk might be fragmented and the actual available sections for audio recording are small, resulting in "No Room on Medium" messages.

I'm making a wild guess the Kronos OS needs a continuous section of the HD to record onto.

In Windows, you can defragment your hard drive, taking all that scattered data and organizing it into neater chunks, freeing up more "consecutive empty space". But I don't see an option for how to do that on the Kronos.

Hopefully something in this long post helps you somehow.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
I've had the same problem when "saving to disc" in my Kronos. I've tried deleting songs but had no luck.
If anybody can find a fix for this issue, it would help immensely.

By deleting songs, do you mean you went to the actual wav recordings and deleted those?

The .SNG file itself is very small (kilobytes, fits on floppy disks), just containing MIDI and sequencer type data. Inside that small .SNG file it *points* to the actual wav recordings, which are large (megabytes, fills up CDs). Deleting the .SNG file does not also delete the wav recordings, I believe.

You might have more luck deleting the wav recordings from your DISK. I've actually never recorded audio on the Kronos. If I had to guess, I bet the audio recordings will be named or dated similar to the associated .SNG file. HTH
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should have been more clear in my earlier post. I've had my baby since the first summer, 2011, that they were available. When I discovered that there was actually a full fledged recording studio built in; well almost; I was delighted! I quickly learned how to record audio and midi tracks to create fulls songs. Here's one I did.

https://soundcloud.com/jeremykeys/01-shoot-for-the-moon-3

The thing is, it seems like my SSD is getting full. It's actually been this way for a long time but I've always been able to work around the problem. Since my Kronos was full, I bought a computer and Cubase to record into.

The thing is, every once in a while I want to record something on my Kronos. It may just be a simple little idea or sequence or something but when I try to save it I get that annoying message, "medium is full" or whatever it is.

I just figure that since there is no more room, I should just be able to completely delete some of the songs that I recorded and there will then be more space to save things into. I just have never had any luck with it. Granted, I also know that when it comes to file organizing I'm a complete moron so it just might be something very simple that I'm missing as opposed to what I usually end up doing. That's just find another way to work around the problem. Like record the idea on something else.

Hope everybody gets their Kronos problems worked out! I know that one day I will too.
Now if only I could get enough sense to do regular backups!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cool story, Jeremy. The Kronos is an amazing workstation, no wonder professionals around the world have been using it for about a decade now.

Still, you didn't answer my question -- when you deleted songs (.SNG files), did you also delete WAV files? Look on your Kronos Disk... do you see .WAV files that you might not need anymore?

If you look under the SIZE column, you will see some small files, like 26K. Anything with an M after it is a Megabyte sized file, which is 1000x larger than a Kilobyte (K) file. Deleting your largest M file will free up a lot of space, maybe even solve your problem.

If you're not sure if you need that largest file, try inserting a USB stick in your Kronos, and copy it to that USB stick first. Then remove the USB stick and put it in your computer to make sure you can see it on your USB stick.

If you did that correctly, you can safely delete that same large M file from your Kronos. Hopefully you've got a millenial who could help you navigate the beast.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes Jeremy : Backup ! Backup ! Backup !
I use the Wincatalog database software to reach each of my songs on my external hard drives.
Very useful to save absolutely all (and also the eventual original wav files linked to each song) in a specific folder for each song

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: