Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joystick problem Korg Kronos 61 (first version)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Joystick problem Korg Kronos 61 (first version) Reply with quote

I have a Joystick problem with my Korg Kronos 61 (first version).

It seems nothing is broken, however, when I move the joystick to the right, it does not come back anymore to its center positions. Moving to the left, up or down makes it go back to the center position.

The red circle shows on the right one of the joystick spring ends; this end goes through the small gap left of it. The reason that is possible is because the two white elements (which rotate around each other) slightly move away from each other, which is visible in the blue circle.

However, I don't know how to keep those white elements together ... maybe I lost an item when I tried to fix it earlier... I hope someone has a picture or knows how it should be kept together.

Kind regards,

Michel

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should there be an image with this post?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a picture (sorry for the bad quality).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have already open your Kronos, the easiest way to solve your problem would be to replace the joystick with a new one.
Joystick is one weak point of the Kronos. I had to replace it after one year use, only because of a random ptich shift.

https://korgparts.net/product/korg-joystick-pitch-bend
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
As you have already open your Kronos, the easiest way to solve your problem would be to replace the joystick with a new one.
Joystick is one weak point of the Kronos. I had to replace it after one year use, only because of a random ptich shift.

https://korgparts.net/product/korg-joystick-pitch-bend

I was hoping not to have the entire part being fixed (cost me almost 60 euro / 70 dollars), I even don't think something is broken, maybe some small piece is missing or even it's just a way of ' connecting them together' and I can find smaller (sub) parts for much less (or find another solution).

ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to replace my pitch bend joystick. It appeared to me that the potentiometer just winds up getting loose. Unless you took the whole of sembly apart, I doubt you did anything to lose a part or damage it.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
I had to replace my pitch bend joystick. It appeared to me that the potentiometer just winds up getting loose. Unless you took the whole of sembly apart, I doubt you did anything to lose a part or damage it.

Actually I did disassemble the whole part (its quite simple), however, I found out somehow the two white plastic parts move away from each other when using the joystick, resulting in the gaps showing by the circles; I would like to know how to keep them together. I used a tiewrap before, but it's tricky to place it (because the white parts rotate around each other), and after a while the tiewrap moves and the gap still occurs (i.e. the parts move too much apart and the spring fits in the gap, resulting in the joystick not returned to its center position).

ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell from the picture. Maybe a video would better describe the problem. Or at least additional pictures from further away. By the way, I just found my old joystick. If you can send a few more pictures I can compare it to the one I have and maybe send you pictures of the 1 that I have.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent you some pictures to your email address. Maybe they will help. The problem I had with my pitchbend/mod stick was a return to center issue also. The stick looked like it was at the center position, but didn't act like it. Also, on occasion, the pitch would begin to drift, even if I wasn't using the stick. I opted for replacing the entire assembly. I was never able to verify, but I think the potentiometer housing was getting loose and not allowing it to return to center position. If I tapped or operated the stick it would fix it for a while, but eventually the pitch would start to shift again. I can be rough on the pitch bend portion of a joystick (I think my original 88 is starting to exhibit this problem) so I can understand why I have this problem. Sorry to hear that a replacement is so pricey in Europe. I think mine only cost $45 US. Maybe you could get just the potentiometer and replace it. By the way, I don't think the part of the picture in the blue circle would be causing this problem. Its the wrong axis. The part of the assembly that the potentiometer attaches to is stationary.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had joystick issues with my old Triton. I found that in the Triton, part of the problem was that the metal spring wore a small groove in the plastic and it would never return to center. I know that the parts are different but they have a similar design. I have anticipated that I’ll have a joystick problem sometime with my Kronos like others have too. I ordered a new one last year and have it on standby should I have a failure. Having a spare on hand means I won’t have any down time waiting for a part that is sometimes on back order.
kronos2-73

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Joystick problem Korg Kronos Reply with quote

Hello, I have/had same joystick problem. When you disassemble 1 step further (little tricky)- you should take the spring with moving plastic part out,you'll find 1 nut, that is not tightened. You have to try to tighten this nut, then put all back. I'm not sure for how long, but it worked for me.

P.s.I can't put picture, the nut is below the blue circle on your picture
matro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very common that these joysticks fail to go back to center.
Solution replace the potentiometers or as I did, replace the entire joystick. Lots or spares out there.
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue right now with my M3. Do you guys feel the solution would be the same? Is it something I can fix? Thank you for any help.
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also one more question you guys. It's disconcerting to me this would happen with the Kronos, such a fabulous new synth. Are there any reports of this happening with the Nautilus? I was considering one or the other, this might lean me more towards Nautilus 73. Thank you.
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a common problem with joysticks in general, as well as pitch and mod wheels. Or any other mechanical components. I've had issues with such devices on almost every instrument I've owned that had them, going back to the early 70's and right up through and including my 7-year-old Kronos.

AFAIK there are only two moving parts in the Kronos: the joystick(s) and the fan. Guess what's the second-most problematic behind the joystick?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: