Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca Rack DIY

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Volca Rack DIY Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes so i had a go at making a 3-tier volca rack with some 8mm ply i had. how hard can it be?

i really don't know why none of those youtubes and pages don't just show the dimensions. i haven't got a printer and tracing paper.

some time later, thinks: yeah, so 40-something euro may not be a bad price, for the hassle and time spent. plus, my result, though not bad at all, is not what i would call good design: are these things supposed to clamp the volca in? that would never be my choice. with my thing, it doesn't even really work, it's really dodgy, like something could fall out (the top one). so i'm stuck halfway there, scratching my head thinking what next.

some of those racks offered on ebay are starting to look quite attractive. Smile
quite like the 3D printed "double 3" - that's one of the best designs.
and some of the better wood side one have indents that retain the volca.
i could do that, i guess, with a chisel, wouldn't take long. but lining this stuff up, and being really precise - the time! the mess... leaving volcas lying around, just to check them against the slots...starting to make a lot of sense to just get a readymade product.

looked at a few other possibilities along the way; aluminium strips, that sort of thing. those racks are really ugly but are probably the best approach.

ideas? thoughts?
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ShoNuff, here's a page with some details on how one person did it: https://www.instructables.com/id/Dual-Korg-Volca-Stand/
You don't really need to print-off their template for the side panels, just draw your own onto your sheets of ply and then trace the first to make a copy. The useful bit in the instructables design is the width and length measurements of the actual shelf pieces. Takes out the trial and error element.
In their finished photos it show that the two Volcas meet nicely with no gap between the upper and lower units. I personally would leave enough space between the two to run the cables connected to the lower one down so they are not draped over the upper unit. I've made many of my own stands for various instruments and learnt the hard way to never make the tiers fit the intended units perfectly or the cables will obscure the higher tiers. Another thing I never do is have completely solid cheeks. Always put an arch in them so that they can straddle cables that run across your bench/desk.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh have seen that page, then saw the 3 tier video.
it's a lot easier really, if you have measurements:
take a square (approx 27cm x 27cm), draw a diagonal line, cut.
result, 2 triangles - and then use a ruler to draw lines and work out where things are going to sit.

Last edited by ShoNuff on Sun May 05, 2019 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit
Kroy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a four tier angled wooden Volca Rack and they look very funky in the studio, but I found the angle of the Volcas and the mass of cables that built up made it difficult to work with them. So I've gone back to just using one or two Volcas at a time flat, and keeping the rack to store them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: