Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

? for the experts on vectoring volume.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: ? for the experts on vectoring volume. Reply with quote

OOoookaaay.. Try to follow me here. I have a program with two EXi's, both EXi's using the CX3 engine. Okay. I want to use the vector stick to bring volume in on only one of the EXi's, basically disabling EXi1 and enabling volume control on EXi2. Damned, if I can't figure it out. Rolling Eyes Help !!!!!!! Thanks.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no expert but i did look at the Parameter guide and play around with the VJS setup in CX3 on my kronos.

Do you need EXi1 anywhere in the program? Because you can go to Common tab and then “Program basics” page where you can turn any of the EXi off, by selecting the option “off” rather than a synth engine tone.

In “Common” tab and then “Vector Control” page for VJS setup.
If you need both EXi’s in the program but need only one active when doing vector volume control, then you can leave both EXi on, and then in Vector control page you set up volume response for each EXi.
Looks like program Vector control automatically assigns -Xmod to EXi 1 and then +Xmod to EXi2.

You have options for VJS starting position for volume control.
Full volume can be at center(default is Center Volume 100%) and from there you sweep left to right to bring in one side while taking out the other in cross fade fashion.

I set both Center volumes to 0% and lets both be silent at VJS center point,
then i bring in one or the other but never both at the same time.

I can set one center volume to 0% and the other to 100%, and from there i can vector over to just one on the far side or both at some point in cross fading towards the other X side.

Adjusting Center Volume Percentages between both EXi’s will give a wide mix of results.

Be sure the “Enable Volume control” is enabled to get anything to work.

It is a bit too much of a brain twister at this point for me to think up any more setup scenarios, other than moving the program to Combi where timbre parameters lets you disable or enable one or the other OSC, or both.
Also Combi lets you duplicate the program and set up independent VJS control response for each program and then you can focus each of the duplicate program timbres on a single EXi.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ? for the experts on vectoring volume. Reply with quote

drama1 wrote:
OOoookaaay.. Try to follow me here. I have a program with two EXi's, both EXi's using the CX3 engine. Okay. I want to use the vector stick to bring volume in on only one of the EXi's, basically disabling EXi1 and enabling volume control on EXi2. Damned, if I can't figure it out. Rolling Eyes Help !!!!!!! Thanks.

So you are talking about cross-fading?
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ? for the experts on vectoring volume. Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
drama1 wrote:

No, not cross-fading, I need Exi1 to NOT respond to the vector stick and Exi2 to respond to volume using the vector stick. Here's what I'm doing. I want to use the vector stick to bring in the CX3 upper drawbars from EXi2. Hope that's clear. Thanks
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ? for the experts on vectoring volume. Reply with quote

drama1 wrote:
ronnfigg wrote:
drama1 wrote:

No, not cross-fading, I need Exi1 to NOT respond to the vector stick and Exi2 to respond to volume using the vector stick. Here's what I'm doing. I want to use the vector stick to bring in the CX3 upper drawbars from EXi2. Hope that's clear. Thanks

So EXi1 NOT responding to VJS, but do you want it silent as it ignores VJS input or do you want it at volume while it ignores VJS input?
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ? for the experts on vectoring volume. Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
drama1 wrote:
ronnfigg wrote:
drama1 wrote:

So EXi1 NOT responding to VJS, but do you want it silent as it ignores VJS input or do you want it at volume while it ignores VJS input?

Right, I want EXi1 it at a volume while it ignores VJS. Thanks.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a similar thing in combi mode by having 2 CX3 engines, one in each timbre and then controlling the volume of 1 and/or the other with the fader.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should try setting up “Center volume” configurations in the CX-3 programs Vector control page, to see what that can do to separate volume control between each EXi.

Once you get a good idea about all that, if it does not do quite what you need, then you can always move the program to combi and put the same program in 2 different timbre/tracks, and that can separate each EXi and each vector control set up.
In a combi, one timbre can have vector control disabled while using only EXi1, and the other timbre can have Vector control enabled while it uses EXi2.

That is the best i can think of right now.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth looking at the Program "KORG Bright CX3 EX-Tones" to see the vector joystick settings, as it might do something close to what you're after. It's in the free expansion pack, KRS-06 CX-3 Signature Sounds, and loads up as Program 126 in the USER-G bank.

ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you trying to achieve? Like pulling out extra drawbars, but instead of using drawbars , fade in (or abruptly change) the harmonics with the VJS? Obviously you want the registration of one EXi. Or are you wanting to layer additional organ registrations?
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
What are you trying to achieve? Like pulling out extra drawbars, but instead of using drawbars , fade in (or abruptly change) the harmonics with the VJS? Obviously you want the registration of one EXi. Or are you wanting to layer additional organ registrations?

Yes, I was trying to use the Vector stick for pulling out extra drawbars. I will do it in combi, that works. Was hoping I could do it in a program, but all's good. BIG thank you to everybody.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out organ patch # U-C036 Lots O' Drawbars SW1. You'll have to tweak the EXis to match and then add the extra drawbars to get your effect. I think the easiest way to do this is to turn off EXi2, get the sound you want on EXi1, then copy that to EXi2, add your extra drawbars, and you should be good to go. The VJS works in the X axis. Having common drawbars in both EXis is what makes it sound like you are just adding upper drawbars (or whichever ones you are adding). Let me know what you think. How I figured this out? Went through the CX3 organ patches and fiddled with the VJS until something good happened. I do this a lot when looking for patches. I figure with thousands of them there has to be one that gets close to what I need. And then I tweak. Oh yeah, when I find things that come close I write them as a favorite. Easier to go back and find them. After tweaking I write them to a new blank location and name them for the song I use them in, with other descriptive elements, like HOTB saw lead (Home Of The Brave saw lead).
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Might be worth looking at the Program "KORG Bright CX3 EX-Tones" to see the vector joystick settings, as it might do something close to what you're after. It's in the free expansion pack, KRS-06 CX-3 Signature Sounds, and loads up as Program 126 in the USER-G bank.

+1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: