Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIDI Mergers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobcat22

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: MIDI Mergers Reply with quote

Here is my problem, if I get yet another rack mod, I will need to purchase yet another MIDI merger, like another MIDI Solutions and daisy chain it. What are you using?

RESPONSE by: Megamarkd

Ah that old chestnut! A new synth doesn't just mean a new synth, it's also a new pair of audio leads and two new MIDI cables and the "where am I going to slot this into the MIDI matrix?" and if there's no THRU port, "I need way to pass the MIDI! AAAGGGHHHHH!!!!!"

I have a ridiculous number of MIDI devices and use three routers, a switch, a merger and a splitter. My name is Mark and I am a synth addict

The merger is a Kenton Merge4. Powered device which is semi-intelligent in that when it detects tempo messages on an input, it filters all tempo on the other three to avoid tempo doubling. It also has two outputs so can really help out in medium sized MIDI networks.

The splitter is a Phillip Rees V3. Simple 1in/3out that runs on a 12v battery. The battery lasts for years and years, but unfortunately Phil's not making stuff any more. Really a shame as his utilities were great.

When it comes to the sort of utilities I've mentioned above, I really recommend getting something powered. It might eat a powerpoint in your room if it's a mains-powered, but it saves headaches created by some devices not providing enough power over MIDI to run the unpowered MIDI utility. MIDI Solutions have a list on their website for referencing what devices will power their produces, so if you are considering any of their boxes, check that list first.

Now the "Doctor! Doctor! I think I have a synth habit" equipment:

The switch is a custom made box that I bought from a fellow who had the privilege of being paid to gut a government broadcasting company premises when they moved. It's probably does more than switch but I has a numpad and no instructions. I had to trial-and-error it to workout how to assign the switching rules!

The routers are an Akai ME80P, JLCooper MSB+ (both are now out of production and I really had to bide my time to get the MSB+) and an iConnectivity MIO4.

The MIO4 is a beauty and I can't recommend iConnectivity's products enough. The MIO4 is a 4in/4out programmable router with a USB MIDI host port on it also. The host port can run upto 8 USB MIDI connections using a decent powered USB hub. They have a 10port version of the MIO also, and although I was thinking of getting one and selling the MIO4, which would give me 6i/o more than currently, a better option would be to get a second MIO4 and while only gaining 4i/o's I'd double my USB MIDI hosting capability. The have a great support/community forum and you can get a list of working USB hubs on there. Their staff are really into what they make and listen to the community regarding how to make their products better. I have to stop talking about them or the page will be full of me gushing over how good iConnectivity are.

"and they all lived happily ever after, the end."
(now it's an enjoyable children's story not an essay )

Last edited by Bobcat22 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Bobcat22

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you mark for the you spent on educating me on MIDI mergers. Here is my intended use of rack modules: I record or use one or 2 rack mods at one time. I then use the Tascam DP32sd 32-track Portastudio for direct record when not using Reaper. I also have the Soundcraft Signature USB 22 channel mixer. I am not wanting to spend $300.00 for the iConnectivity mio10 if possible.

Here is a question, say I did move over to the iConnectivity mio 10, I would have to get rid of the MIDI Solutions 8 Input?
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for a Digital Music Corporation MX-8. No longer made, they were like the Swiss Army Knife of MIDI Patch Bays. You could merge, send any input to any output, MIDI FILTER, send patch changes to synths: Just about anything you wanted to do. Also very easy to program.

They're really cheap now, and I couldn't live without two of them in my rig. (Well, 2 of THOSE, a MOTU MIDI Express, and an Anatek Pocket Merge...)

..Joe
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
Look for a Digital Music Corporation MX-8. No longer made, they were like the Swiss Army Knife of MIDI Patch Bays. You could merge, send any input to any output, MIDI FILTER, send patch changes to synths: Just about anything you wanted to do. Also very easy to program.

They're really cheap now, and I couldn't live without two of them in my rig. (Well, 2 of THOSE, a MOTU MIDI Express, and an Anatek Pocket Merge...)

..Joe

SHHHH, I need mine first! Wink I have an alert set on eBay but recently the asking price for the ones appearing has been just that little too high for me. Considering the only things they do that an iConnectivity box can't do is MIDI delay and MIDI compression (which I'm fairly sure can be achieved on my MIO4 by setting velocity rules), I'm not gonna pay more than 150usd for one. Oh yeah and frontface programming.
I've also noticed that the sellers with good prices don't want to sell them outside of the USA. I only see their listings if I use the .com site and then I get the "seller does not ship to your country" message. Rather annoying that is. But oh well. At least they are around, unlike the Mondovox. Nobody who bought one of them will ever sell it seems and Future Retro aren't in the habit of doing reissues.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have problems getting stuff shipped there, but then to compensate, you have Australian girls there...

More than makes up for the difference.

..joe
xCDx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:39 am    Post subject: MOTU midi express xt or MOTU micro express Reply with quote

Try these. MOTU midi express xt or MOTU micro express
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: MOTU midi express xt or MOTU micro express Reply with quote

xCDx wrote:
Try these. MOTU midi express xt or MOTU micro express

They're good - I have MOTU micro express - but the problem is you need a computer to set up the various routings and merges.

Something on the fly is not possible unless you cart at least a laptop along with you.

..Joe
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
You might have problems getting stuff shipped there, but then to compensate, you have Australian girls there...

More than makes up for the difference.

..joe

LOL, there is that trade-off at least Smile

Joe Gerardi wrote:
They're good - I have MOTU micro express - but the problem is you need a computer to set up the various routings and merges.

Something on the fly is not possible unless you cart at least a laptop along with you.

..Joe

They do have presets that you can swap between live don't they?
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject: lol on the rack addict!! Reply with quote

lol on the rack addict!!
well my chain looks like a master control for the space shuttle!!

I use midi switchers...
pm me for details!!

I think right now each of the 4 studios has 50 rack spaces of modules with the new reset for the fall 2019 season!! no kidding!!
and that is after the down size of gear!!
lol!!

lots of good switch/ routing controllers out there for midi...
emu, jl cooper to name a couple of my faves…

one of my secrets is to use midi y cords!! they are over on amazon pm for the link!!
so I can split the keybed to 3 outputs then chain from there in the switchers.

most of the time i just use midi ch1!!
and then of course ch10 for drums...
it all depends on the rack unit and how I can program splits etc...

I place the switchers jut over the keybeds for fast manual punch in and out..
then use stereo floor controls for swell or volume..

and lots of rack mixers for sub mix...

I always say pick the keybed you like first!!
then add the sounds by midi chain!!

for me the roland a-800 and a88 are my fave beds...
then throw in the
korg m3m-88 and m3m61 beds in there too...
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:16 am    Post subject: lol on the rack addict!! Reply with quote

lol on the rack addict!!
well my chain looks like a master control for the space shuttle!!

I use midi switchers...
pm me for details!!

I think right now each of the 4 studios has 50 rack spaces of modules with the new reset for the fall 2019 season!! no kidding!!
and that is after the down size of gear!!
lol!!

lots of good switch/ routing controllers out there for midi...
emu, jl cooper to name a couple of my faves…

one of my secrets is to use midi y cords!! they are over on amazon pm for the link!!
so I can split the keybed to 3 outputs then chain from there in the switchers.

most of the time i just use midi ch1!!
and then of course ch10 for drums...
it all depends on the rack unit and how I can program splits etc...

I place the switchers jut over the keybeds for fast manual punch in and out..
then use stereo floor controls for swell or volume..

and lots of rack mixers for sub mix...

I always say pick the keybed you like first!!
then add the sounds by midi chain!!

for me the roland a-800 and a88 are my fave beds...
then throw in the
korg m3m-88 and m3m61 beds in there too...
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: