Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bug with Minilogue XD with MIDI In and Out?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devonb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Bug with Minilogue XD with MIDI In and Out? Reply with quote

I've noticed if you have MIDI In and Out hooked up at the same time and play the XD from an external keyboard, notes get stuck as you play, and the display goes wonky sometimes as well. I also noticed that the internal sequencer runs at probably whatever the highest BPM it supports when you press play on any preset. If you turn the unit off, disconnect the MIDI Out, and play, everything returns to normal. I'm assuming this is a bug. I'm on the latest 1.05 firmware too. Can anyone else confirm this?
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looping around from your external keyboard back to the XD in some way? The "internal sequencer runs at probably whatever the highest BPM it supports when you press play on any preset" sounds very much like a looped MIDI tempo message. Have you set Local SW to off and Clock Source to Auto?
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
devonb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the XD connected to a MOTU MTP AV on ports 6, and my master keyboard on ports 7. None of my other synths that are set up with both MIDI In and Out are doing this, which are a few. The MIDI routing is controlled via Cubase 9 Pro. I set MIDI Out from my master controller to MIDI In on the XD. The tempo in Cubase is set at 120 BPM. If I disconnect the MIDI In to the XD, it behaves perfectly fine.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is there anything stopping the MIDI from the XD from being passed back into the XD?
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
devonb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, Cubase. I'd have to set up a route for that. I'm only setting Port 7 Out to to Port 6 In. There is no route for port 6 out to port 6 in.

Devon
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you anyway to monitor what is being passed out of port 6? Does the same thing happen when you only connect your controller keyboard to the XD MIDI IN? See if the same thing happens if you remove the computer and the MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV from the MIDI IN and control it directly with the controller.
devonb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
Have you anyway to monitor what is being passed out of port 6? Does the same thing happen when you only connect your controller keyboard to the XD MIDI IN? See if the same thing happens if you remove the computer and the MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV from the MIDI IN and control it directly with the controller.

I could try to see if MidiOX shows anything, but trying to cable it that way is going to be impossible with the way my studio is set up without buying longer cables. I've had multiple synthesizers hooked up like this through multiple MOTU MIDI interfaces in this configuration for well over a decade, and have several now that are set up this way and don't give me grief like this. The fact that the wrong BPM is being picked up is yet another clue something is wrong too, as if it were actually hooked up, it should pick up the BPM from Cubase correctly. I get what you're trying to troubleshoot here, absolutely. Just would have to think how I can pull this off without making my studio a disaster as they are far apart from each other.

Devon
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just trying to remove the slightest chance you are getting a double. It seems crazy that such a bug would exist considering you'd expect that firmware betatesting should pick-up anything like that in a heartbeat. But then again Auto detect slave mode always is a pain to work around and I feel it's a shortcut for the coders.
devonb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark - Made some progress. I notice if I have the MIDI Out from the XD hooked up to the MOTU, ALL of my synths on that interface get screwy. If I try to control my master keyboard's internal sound engine, I get missing notes, and what sounds like high latency when I play. I try another synth, it gets stuck notes as well. The fix? Turn off MIDI Clock Source on the XD and set it to Internal, all the problems completely go away.

So something with the XD trying to grab external clock screws with everything on the interface. That's even with not launching Cubase at all. If I do any of my other synths, everything is fine. It's JUST when I turn on the XD and the XD is set to External for MIDI Clock.

I brought up MIDI OX as well, and also noticed no amount of chatter from the XD either. However, I did see some weird behavior like pressing stop on the sequencer on the XD sent Sustain to all 16 channels I think, and notes hung. Bizarre! I've had internal and external sync before with this interface (the Triton on this interface is set to External MIDI Clock right now, and doesn't have this issue or mess with the other synthesizers.)

Still suspecting a bug...

Devon
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devonb wrote:
Mark - Made some progress. I notice if I have the MIDI Out from the XD hooked up to the MOTU, ALL of my synths on that interface get screwy. If I try to control my master keyboard's internal sound engine, I get missing notes, and what sounds like high latency when I play. I try another synth, it gets stuck notes as well. The fix? Turn off MIDI Clock Source on the XD and set it to Internal, all the problems completely go away.

So something with the XD trying to grab external clock screws with everything on the interface. That's even with not launching Cubase at all. If I do any of my other synths, everything is fine. It's JUST when I turn on the XD and the XD is set to External for MIDI Clock.

I brought up MIDI OX as well, and also noticed no amount of chatter from the XD either. However, I did see some weird behavior like pressing stop on the sequencer on the XD sent Sustain to all 16 channels I think, and notes hung. Bizarre! I've had internal and external sync before with this interface (the Triton on this interface is set to External MIDI Clock right now, and doesn't have this issue or mess with the other synthesizers.)

Still suspecting a bug...

Devon

Ack, I really wish they'd not use the Auto clock to listen for a MIDI tempo. I know they do it to save having to change the setting if you want to use just the XD but it leads to all sorts of problems when you want to start integrating into a complex setup. It's much easier to work with either master or slave and not have the machine second guessing what mode to run when you want it to be run as a slave. Oh well.

What is the sysex transmitted when you hit stop? Sustain is CC64 so would show up as Status: B(x), Data1: 40, Data2: 00 or F7 (off or on), with channel and event reflecting the relative details sent in the sysex. I'm guessing you are seeing a list of 16 lines of data, with one line per channel.
I've noticed that although it will receive "all notes off" it doesn't send the message at all. It's interesting to note also that the MIDI implementation chart for the XD is a c+p of the Prologue's implementation chart. I can understand they would have the same implementations considering the XD is pretty much half a Prologue on the inside.
The Triton doesn't run on the "Auto" mode when in External the same way all the new gen synths do, so when it's in External it's not running on its internal clock until it receives a clock message. If you can, maybe try setting the Triton to Internal clock and then send it off to the XD MIDI in just to check that it's not an issue with what is being sent from Cubase. The Triton should send clock on its MIDI out when running and in Internal mode.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was speaking with a person on another forum and they said they are having issues running a sequencer into their XD without anything at all in the way. Hung notes, random notes, patch changes... How could they release a synth and not have spotted a bug when controlling like that when controlling via MIDI? Crazy!
softroom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
I was speaking with a person on another forum and they said they are having issues running a sequencer into their XD without anything at all in the way. Hung notes, random notes, patch changes... How could they release a synth and not have spotted a bug when controlling like that when controlling via MIDI? Crazy!

I've been sequencing mine (from an Elektron Octatrack) with no issues of the type described. It did hang on me once requiring I pull the power cable to sort it out, but that's all in a few weeks of fairly solid use.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

softroom wrote:
megamarkd wrote:

I've been sequencing mine (from an Elektron Octatrack) with no issues of the type described. It did hang on me once requiring I pull the power cable to sort it out, but that's all in a few weeks of fairly solid use.

That's what I would have thought and if it was anything other than that there would be a chorus across the 'net of "it's broken and I can't work out why!". Hmmm....
softroom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:

That's what I would have thought and if it was anything other than that there would be a chorus across the 'net of "it's broken and I can't work out why!". Hmmm....

Actually my only real issues have been with the boring linear decay and with a selection of odd pops from the Multi Oscillator. Fortunately, these noises seem to have reduced in level and frequency after the last voice update. Since they can vary from session to session, it could well be an issue with mine alone (or maybe the power-up calibration routine).

Anyway, a splendid little synth, especially as its envelopes don't rtz like the earliers ones! I await exciting new oscillators with interest. Smile
devonb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote Korg support twice, I still haven't heard back from them since I wrote them 4/9 and 4/13.

Devon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: