Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Studio Monitors - What Do You Use?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Studio Monitors - What Do You Use? Reply with quote

[quote="Poseidon"]
Kevbo wrote:

The Monitors are long term investment, they usually outlive keyboards.
You have some serious gear (incl Kronos 88 ), therefore you need some serious monitors.
You didn’t mention the size of your studio, however my guess is that 8” is minimum for you.(My room is 3x4 m semi-treated)
Anything less is worthless and waste of money, and your gear might not sound what supposed to be.

I

- I can mix/monitor at lower levels than HR824 ( trying to take care for my hearing )
- Adam Audio A8X is PERFECT for orchestral patches.

You make a strong point- that monitors are long term. purchase. My Event 8's are 16 yrs old and still sound flawless.

I also think that 8" speaker is the way to go. My home studio/office is 10' x 12'

But my reasons for a quality monitor are not exactly mixing- I enjoy the quality of Kronos thru high end monitors.
Thunder Dump

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using my Event PS8 bi-amp monitors for almost 20 years and they are phenomenal. These were top-of-the-line back in the late 90s/early 00s and I've yet to find something with which I want to replace them. Mine have been on 24/7 in my studio their entire life and I've never had an issue with either of them. True workhorses!
Kevbo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Studio Monitors - What Do You Use? Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Kevbo wrote:

You have me intrigued, but man.....$1,000 per speaker...

The Monitors are long term investment, they usually outlive keyboards.
You have some serious gear (incl Kronos 88 ), therefore you need some serious monitors.
You didn’t mention the size of your studio, however my guess is that 8” is minimum for you.(My room is 3x4 m semi-treated)
Anything less is worthless and waste of money, and your gear might not sound what supposed to be.

I recommended Adam Audio A8X,only because you mentioned Adam Audio brand.
But there are other brands that would serve you well.
I would never buy monitors that cost less than $900-1000, because I am serious about music.
Instead rushing, save, and get better ones. You’ll be glad, and satisfied each and every day.

I am satisfied with my HR824, however I am planning to buy Adam Audio A8X for 2 reasons:

- I can mix/monitor at lower levels than HR824 ( trying to take care for my hearing )
- Adam Audio A8X is PERFECT for orchestral patches.

You know what, you're right. I'm in no hurry to get new monitors. My Rockit 6s are treating me fine for now. I put away $1,000 away every month anyway.....I'll just have to "skip" two months. Smile

Here's a shot of my "studio":

https://imgur.com/XD6mVIe
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using JBL LSR 308.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Studio Monitors - What Do You Use? Reply with quote

Kevbo wrote:
You know what, you're right. I'm in no hurry to get new monitors. My Rockit 6s are treating me fine for now. I put away $1,000 away every month anyway.....I'll just have to "skip" two months. Smile

Great ! You loose nothing, but gains are ahead of you.
Choose the monitors wisely and they should serve you well, and keep you happy for many many years.
Remember never make a choice based on what’s in stock in particular shop. If they don’t have it what you are after, go somewhere else.

Regarding Adam A8X, know that the woofer is NOT magnetically shielded.
It is worth to add that these monitors has won the prestigious Sound On Sound award in the “Best Studio Monitors” category. One man even called them “A BMW for everyone”.

As I said previously I had A8X and HR824 in the house side by side. I fell in love with them.
I work mostly with orchestral music where flutes and piccolos are always in numbers.
I have just notice that A8X beat HR824 in this field. High pitch instruments are much easier to track, they sound much better and all this while the volume is quite low compared to HR824 ( In HR824, I would have to turn volume up to stay in the race). I guess it is due to their X-ART tweeter. In my opinion A8X are very good choice for orchestral music.
For that very reason I am going to buy them one day, and HR824 will serve me as satellites, or will be given other function.
When listening to Jarre Oxygene Trilogy I actually preferred HR824 over A8X.

Regarding your studio from your shot, You might not need a subwoofer if you have >= 8” monitors.
I guess you going to have a headache with placement of your monitors, because of the stairs.
Hopefully you solve this problem, and end up with sweet sounding setup.

Wishing you all the best.
DJCobbSalad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Studio Monitors - What Do You Use? Reply with quote

Kevbo wrote:

I would spend any money you've got on wall treatment & bass traps long before I'd drop any money on new monitors. Cement walls, in a corner, in a basement.. all of that is terrible news for monitoring. Also keep in mind the bigger the speaker you get the cloudier and muddier it will sound in that corner, but I gotta give you props for looks, definitely very clean and well put together!
Kishonadish

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Studio Monitors - What Do You Use? Reply with quote

Kevbo wrote:
Just looking to see what a lot of you use for "speakers" when playing at home. Do you use a keyboard stage amp? Studio monitors? If so, what brand and model?

I've just bought a pair of Tannoy Reveal 502 monitors for a stupid price off ebay. The person selling them stated they were 402s and I paid for them and went to pick them up only to realise after getting home that they were a different model! Brand new in box and never opened! Reciept of purchase as well! One very happy bunny here...
Carbo

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genelec Triple Play
Pedja
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alesis M1 Active MKII Monitors!!!
My music: https://soundcloud.com/pedjak-1
http://moca.virtual.museum/autogallery2017/autogallery_kalajdzijevic/
http://moca.virtual.museum/dablog/dablog02.htm
http://moca.virtual.museum/autogallery2019/autogallery_kalajdzijevic/
https://www.saatchiart.com/PedjaK
qqquartzzz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland DS-8's here
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pair of JBL LSR 2325P's and an LSR 2310SP Subwoofer.

I like the sound although the majority of what I do in the studio is heard through headphones.
Korg Oasys 76, Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg Wavestation EX, Roland Jupiter X, 2 x Roland A800 Pro, Yamaha SY77, MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Core i7 2.7GHz 16GB / 768GB, MainStage 3, Cymatic uTrack24, Samson S Patch, U-PHORIA UMC404HD Audio interface, Yamaha MG16XU mixer
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still using the HS80Ms.
Purgatory

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pair of ADAM Audio A77X and a PreSonus Temblor T10 Subwoofer.
manishthatte

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:09 am    Post subject: Presonus - Working fine till now Reply with quote

2 X PreSonus Eris E5 2-Way Active Studio Monitor/Speaker
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the following:

Pair - JBL LSR305
Pair - Presonus Eris 3.5
Pair - Alesis M320USB
Single - Jensen JP10SW

I love my JBL monitors. They have great sound and I love their imaging.

I also really like my Presonus Eris 3.5. They are surprisingly loud and have great bass, even though they only have a 3.5" woofer. You can tune them a bit too, with bass and treble adjustments on the back. I have them set at normal though since I do not want to color the sound.

I also like the Alesis M320USB. I have had them for many years and they've never failed me. They are not terribly bassy, but have a good mid-bass sound. They are loud, considering that they are only 10 watts each...

The Jensen JP10SW subwoofer is pretty good too. It is more of a consumer unit, but it has a great sound and works well in my studio space. I used to use it as a PA subwoofer, but I have other stuff for that now. It adds just the right amount of sub-bass for my studio area.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: