Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESX/EMX MIDI Dump
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kukuruzo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: ESX/EMX MIDI Dump Reply with quote

Hi everyone.
I was googling really hard to find a solution, but no luck.

Need your help, guys.
I want to upload a MIDI Dump file from my PC to ESX

I already have a sysex file that I saved to PC from my ESX (Pattern A).
I used MIDI OX software for this, that was not hard, even though I'm not an expert in the MIDI world.
Now I want to upload this file back to ESX, but ESX doesn't receive it, although it should, the connections seem logigal to me, but it doesn't work.

I've read somewhere that ESX should show the word "receiving" while the data is uploading, but it does not.

The manual doesn't contain much information about this process.
Please share step by step manual for this to be done.

Thanks in advance
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the boards! I've always used a SmartMedia card to import/export .esx files, so I may have to look into this when I'm back home. My understanding was that you needed a card for these types of operations but I'm not certain...
Kukuruzo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Welcome to the boards!

Very Happy Thanks for the welcome! Great to be here

I have smartmedia, card reader etc. but that's not what I want to do now...

I used to make everything on ESX, made some patterns, arranged songs etc.

Now I also have EMX - so I wanted to completely switch to EMX and make music with it, but I also want to upload MIDI data from ESX to EMX and use my old patterns there.

I know that I will not get the same sounds. It doesn't matter, I just need to transfer the MIDI data somehow.

Guys I need your help. It's tricky, but I'm sure it's possible

[/quote]
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can record in a daw tha midi or import if you have the file.
See if the Electribe receive the right midi from the pattern playing in your DAW and simply hit record in your Electribre.
Set the tempo and the lenght for each pattern so you save it with it.
I don't know if swing is send by midi if not you should set.
It should be the same midi message so it should respond to any midi the Electribe can send and receive.

That's how sometimes store my Electribre pattern in Maschine...and when I recall it's all good!
Kukuruzo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:
You can record in a daw tha midi or import if you have the file.

Well, yes, it is possible to do it like that (though I don't know how to use .syx file in a DAW), but it's almost completely manual operation that I'm trying to avoid. It takes time to set every pattern to the tempo, specify length etc.

Other variant is to connect ESX Midi OUT to EMX Midi IN, set the MIDI channels of both devices to be equivalent. Set Midi clock on both devices. Then hit REC button on Slave device EMX, hit PLAY on Master device ESX. Done. The data will be recordered to EMX.
In this case no DAW needed, but again it's almost completely manual operation.

I want to use .syx file and to transfer all data at a time by clicking just one button on my PC. Or I could transfer data from ESX to EMX directly, the manual has some information about it but nothing happens when I follow the steps.

ESX displays "transmitting"
EMX doesn't receive anything

Has anybody ever done it ?
LM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sysex data dumps are usually device-specific and you cannot just import from a different device, unless they are designed to be compatible, but I don't believe that is the case between the ESX/EMX. Recording via MIDI seems to be the only option in this case.
Kukuruzo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LM wrote:
Sysex data dumps are usually device-specific and you cannot just import from a different device, unless they are designed to be compatible, but I don't believe that is the case between the ESX/EMX. Recording via MIDI seems to be the only option in this case.

Ok, but why there is an option to dump syx file? I can't be 100% sure that ESX and EMX data are completely compatible, but still there is a chance and I want to try and see what will happen.

The problem is that for some reason I can't receive the dump even if it was made on this same device.
page 92 of ESX manual tells about transmitting|receiving data dump.

Transmitting to MIDI OX - works fine, RECEIVING the data back - doesn't.

I still want to figure it out and hope that there is somebody who knows how to do it. Confused
Share your knowledge, please
Kukuruzo

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone again

Just wanted to bump this thread up again.

Guys, is there anybody who could successfully transfer MIDI dump from ESX to PC and then upload .syx file back from PC to ESX?

How did you do that? Please reply, I'm totally stuck

Thanks
Travelinni

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kukuruzo wrote:
Hi everyone again

Just wanted to bump this thread up again.

Guys, is there anybody who could successfully transfer MIDI dump from ESX to PC and then upload .syx file back from PC to ESX?

How did you do that? Please reply, I'm totally stuck

Thanks

I share the same problem except I have no choice because I'm an EM-1 owner.
You have no need to use Midi-Ox.
Use the Smartmedia or SD card function so you will be able to save everything to you make in your pc and reload it back to your EMX-1 and ESX-1. You can grab a cheap SD or smartmedia reader for your pc will do the trick. That is if it's the EMX/ESX 1st versions. I'm unfamiliar with the newest ones. Hope that helps.
Kukuruzo

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Use the Smartmedia or SD card function so you will be able to save everything to you make in your pc and reload it back to your EMX-1 and ESX-1. You can grab a cheap SD or smartmedia reader for your pc will do the trick. That is if it's the EMX/ESX 1st versions. I'm unfamiliar with the newest ones. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply
I have card readers and cards, but it's not the case now.
Actually, I want to befriend ESX and EMX in terms of MIDI data transferring.
So I could transfer .syx made on ESX to EMX. I know that this might be impossible, because these are different devices. But still I want to try.

The problem is that I can't even reload .syx file made on ESX back to this same ESX (Banks A,B,C,D) ? Why is that?
How should I configure MIDI-OX for this?
Rolling Eyes
Travelinni

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kukuruzo wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the reply
I have card readers and cards, but it's not the case now.
Actually, I want to befriend ESX and EMX in terms of MIDI data transferring.
So I could transfer .syx made on ESX to EMX. I know that this might be impossible, because these are different devices. But still I want to try.

The problem is that I can't even reload .syx file made on ESX back to this same ESX (Banks A,B,C,D) ? Why is that?
How should I configure MIDI-OX for this?
Rolling Eyes

But the thing is both are different machines so how are you going to transfer sysex made in the emx to the esx when they are both different machines?
i will be grabbing an emx-1 sometime christmas time this year (fingers crossed) and best way is just save all your work to the smartmedia or sdcard which totally enables you to save all your work onto your computer and not bothering with what I'm actually bothering as you know with my topic because we both own EM-1's and we don't have a choice but to do midi dumps so we can save our patterns and songs onto the computer so we can make new room in it so then we can compose new music on it.
Travelinni

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kukuruzo wrote:
Quote:

The problem is that I can't even reload .syx file made on ESX back to this same ESX (Banks A,B,C,D) ?

Rolling Eyes

just use the card man , don't even bother doing midi dumps with those machines.
If you want to send midi messages from EMX to ESX or ESX to EMX depending on what you want just link them togheter with midi cables

EMX - Midi Out to Midi In of ESX
ESX - Midi Out to Midi In of EMX

if that's what you're after .
i'm sorry but i really can't think of another solution.
they're different machines i don't think that transfering emx midi dumps to esx would even work!
use the cards man , save your works on them and store them in your computer.
Kukuruzo

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i don't think that transfering emx midi dumps to esx would even work!

Yes, probably, 99.999% sure it will not work. I guess you're right.

Anyway, I still want to find out how to transfer .syx from PC to ESX-1, EMX-1, EM-1, ES-1 etc.

Why nobody can do it?

I'll stick to your thread about EM-1 MIDI dumps and maybe we'll find the solution why it's so tricky

This thread is over
Exclamation
Travelinni

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, probably, 99.999% sure it will not work. I guess you're right.

It won't work because they're two different machines so one sysex from emx wont work on esx , its same as me trying to upload a sysex dump from another machine and trying to load it on one of those two.
it wont work and seriously stick to those cards.

Quote:
Anyway, I still want to find out how to transfer .syx from PC to ESX-1, EMX-1, EM-1, ES-1 etc.

Why nobody can do it?

Good question.
Because most people only bother making shitty videos on youtube of one pattern stupid jams.

I want to find out at least for my EM-1 because I have no other choice but to because I don't have the functionality that the EMX or the ESX have : Save everything to SD card or Smartmedia!

I don't have a choice but to rely in these old fashioned ways of transfering and saving data unfortunatly!

Last edited by Travelinni on Tue May 21, 2019 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Travelinni

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll stick to your thread about EM-1 MIDI dumps and maybe we'll find the solution why it's so tricky

Quote:
This thread is over

Yep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: