Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MOD-7 Programming
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I feel like that's a good option sometimes. The upside is that it's definitely a fast way to get some kind arp or riff going.

The downside is that if I'm aiming for some specific sound or timbre, I feel like whatever Karma GE is in charge is going to influence the the sound design pretty heavily. Or alternatively, I'll go down a deep rabbit hole trying to figure out how to get Karma to do what I want it to do. Smile

For me, Karma is one of the least well understood tools in the Kronos. I mean, it's easy enough to turn on, pick a preset, and adjust the sliders. But if I'm trying to get it to do something very specific, it feels like a bit of a mystery to me still. The builtin presets feel a bit like hunt and peck. I have the KK software now but haven't had a chance to really dig in. That'll be its own study.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, KARMA is a riddle wrapped inside a riddle inside an enigma.

Still, you can choose by Category to help navigate towards a col riff or catchy pattern close to the genre you're after.

Taking my own advice, I just found Endlessly Rising under the Gated category. My Mouthrunner2 FM patch is now calling out to me to come play...
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more info:

Patch Panel
Even though it appears that each OSC has 2 inputs and only 1 output, this is not strictly true. You can drag and make a connection from an output multiple times, essentially splitting the output however many times you like. I tested and split it 14 times.

The input cannot receive more than one connection, however. To get around this, send your multiple connections to the inputs of Mixer 1 - 3, then route that combined output into the input of your choice.

One cool way to use splits is to send the same signal twice to the Output Mixer, say channels 3 and 4. You can then pan these L and R to widen the stereo field.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thickening and Widening
Sine waves aren't perceived very loudly. As you make FM programs, here's a few tips to add weight and volume to the overall sound.

Output Volumes
- each OSC has an Output Volume that can go to 100
- only useful if the OSC is a carrier
- increasing output on a modulator OSC adds more harmonic content to its carrier
- the carrier eventually ends up at the Output Mixer: its volume can go up to 100 (defaults at 50)
- splitting a signal into Inputs 1 and 2 of Mixer 1-3 adds gain

Polyphonic Unison
- increase weight by enabling Unison
- slight detune ~5-15 thickens things up nicely
- Stereo Spread at 100 pans voices across speakers
- using too many voices causes undesirable comb filtering (2-3 enough)
- too many voices also results in voice stealing (MOD7 voice count = 52)
- Common/Basic/Basic Program page

Stereo Tube Preamp Modeling
- warms up and thickens sound
- High Cut (Hz) = 6k or even lower, takes digital edge off
- saturation around 20-30
- bias around 20-30
- gain dB around +3dB
- Output Level (dB) = minus amount you added to gain
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Agree, KARMA is a riddle wrapped inside a riddle inside an enigma.

So, I guess this thread marks the point in time that I finally got tired of hearing myself say I don't understand Karma. Have been spending quite a bit of time looking at the manual, tutorials, wiki, playing with the software. And it's finally starting to click!

And I think I understand why it's always seemed like a puzzle now. You really have to have at least some grasp on each component of Karma before you can start to understand one piece thoroughly. They are all intertwined and kind of difficult to separate from one another. Now that I'm digging in though, it's exciting stuff!

psionic311 wrote:
Thickening and Widening

Excellent tips, thanks! I've been going straight to the waveshapers for thickening. It's really fascinating that they designed those into the oscillators. Waveshaping is so closely related to phase modulation anyway, they make total sense. You can go from very subtle to extreme amounts of distortion with the shapers.

Hadn't really thought about using unison in this synth, and stereo spread. Will be trying this out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: