Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cardboard spacers - New Kronos 2 vs older Kronos models

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Cardboard spacers - New Kronos 2 vs older Kronos models Reply with quote

So,
as I have always understood, Korg ceased supplying the cardboard spacers when the Kronos 2 was released back in 2015.
I've owned both vintage, and I'm wondering whether the metal "key slip" panel, (I'm a pianist) Wink , is actually any stronger on the Kronos 2 88 than the earlier models.

I still ponder this, as I am still using my own cardboard wedged across the middle when carrying the board just in relocating locally. Because when I pick it up and the centre area rests against my stomach, there is still some give pushing toward the keybed, and to me, it feels about the same as the Kronos X 88 I used to own. There is a slight inward bend if I don't use the spacers.

I'd love to know whether Korg officially state that the metal keyslip panel is actually stronger than previous models or they've just reviewed there policy and just to be safe we should transport it with them anyway,

I'm eager for anyone else view on this.....
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt Korg explained this. And after some yrs, not expecting anything.

I suppose some think the cardboard shivs are fussy. I think they are a simple precaution, a way to keep the heavy key bed mechanism from shifting around.

I have the 2011 Kronos 88 so I can't do a "A vs B ' comparison of how the heavy RH3 is attached to the frame/chassis.

Anyway, I respect the physics- Rh3 is heavy. Mounting screws [or whatever fastener] are bound to get a little loose. If so, the RH3 will shift potentially.

If RH3 88 shifts too much, noisey keys, clacking , possibly stuck keys result.
This is my opinion.

Of course, Korg 'should' never create this potential. Then again, I have a long list of " Korg shoulds".
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I move mine I pad out the space, it doesn't take long to do.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were really made of cardboard, it would be very easy for you to make new ones. Cardboard resistance/strength is quite limited, so I doubt it helps much to prevent the metal "front bumper" to bend if there is a force pushing in its center.

There is a very simple procedure to replace the RH3 assembly back to its correct position. Place the Kronos on pillows holding it with one hand on its rear panel, then use other hand to loosen the action screws (bigger ones under the unit) a few turns and then screw them back tightly. Gravity will make sure it is correctly placed.
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to all of you for your input!

I have to confess I am also guilty of not properly reading a post before making a reply Very Happy

I already did have the same thoughts as all of you. I did state in my post that I already use my own cardboard spacers on my Kronos 2. They work very well. I don't have any issues with keybed movement, and I keep the screws well tightened in any case. It's more about preventing the bowing in of the key slip bar, as even on the Kronos 2 I noticed without the spacers, the bar with pressure would start to curve in eventually. Being the perfectionist I am, I wish to keep my Kronos in as new condition as possible.

It's just my question about whether there being no supplied spacers with current models meant the key slip bar was stronger and not needing them, or Korg just stopped bothering to supplying them.

I'll take that as an "I don't know". I suppose I could just contact Korg support to see if they can get an answer from Japan for me. But it's just a petty thought bubble, which I wondered if anyone else had pondered.

I know it's just a "first world problem" , Wink ....so excuse me, and I'll go back to actually playing my Kronos Laughing
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I doubt Korg explained this. And after some yrs, not expecting anything.

Of course, Korg 'should' never create this potential. Then again, I have a long list of " Korg shoulds".

thanks Greg, my sentiments exactly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: