Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extreme basics I can't find answers for anywhere

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scrabble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Extreme basics I can't find answers for anywhere Reply with quote

I know how to select a basic sound via up and down buttons (piano, guitar, string ensemble etc.) Is there a way to assign my favorite 16 (or more) of them to the 16 'function' buttons? I was told there was, that's why I bought it -- but can't nail it down after spending hours in the manual, Youtube videos on the instrument etc.

I'm using the KMS for straight classical playing -- don't need chording, arpeggiation, effects, adjustments. I'm used to sitting at a 3D church organ and pushing buttons ("pistons") for instant loading of sounds I've set up on them, and would like to get as close as possible to that experience on the wonderful, amazing KMS.

Help! Thanks!
arpegiator1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Extreme basics I can't find answers for anywhere Reply with quote

There is no direct favorite function here. But there are two ways to do it.
There is a Category USER (under the piano ... Synth ... drum) next to the display. There, some tools are redesigned and they are easy to use. Save goes directly to KMS or just assign it to the USER category in the PC and disappear from its classic position and are only visible in USER. If you don't know, write and I'll guide you.There are 32 vacancies in the USER category. The second way. Create a New song and put in 16 of the most popular programs and then go to 16 sequencer buttons.

Last edited by arpegiator1 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scrabble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Please do spell it out further -- I feel lost with this kind of thing, and know I'm not alone in that regard. 32 choices would wonderful!
arpegiator1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will guide you directly in KMS.
First press GLB / Media on KMS. Global Media Basic appears on the display. Press the right button (cross below the display). on display M tune - down button 9x - Memory protect - Program off. By doing so, we have unlocked storage protection. Now we'll reload your favorite Programs. Press the PROG button. Then I'll find a program. I chose 001 L / P PIAN. Then right - down 23x - WRITE PROGRAM - right - Write - down - CAT Keyboard - down 7x - USER - left - down - down - ok - right - saved. Now in User category is 1 001 L / P PIAN.
Scrabble

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply! I'm trying to get it to work and revising the answer I just put here.
Scrabble

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get all that to work consistently after at least 15 tries. I don't even know what to do after completing it to move on to another operation other than turn the machine on and off again. I tried pressing button #16 to set a sound there, but the process just took me back to button #1.

Would you describe the easier method please? Am in User mode.

I'm feeling extremely frustrated with Korg, Yamaha and Casio, world. They program all this fancy-shmancy stuff so people can play rock and one-handed cool jazz and the hell with everything else. They make fantastic instruments with user manuals that might as well be Chinese crossword puzzles. Beautiful orchestral sounds are touted in Youtube demonstrations but not heard from till the last 30 seconds.

I know I'm not alone -- have seen others groping for this kind of 'registration' info online. In another brand's forum people gave me useful crumbs of advice and then just quit. My last post there was an offer to pay somebody lots of money to walk me through things on the phone or via email -- no response.

Last edited by Scrabble on Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
arpegiator1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you manage to reload at least one Program? I wrote a tutorial where I describe what buttons to press and what is shown on the display. What step did you get? Choose your first piano and find WRITE in it. You do this by moving the arrow to the right. Do you know where the right arrow is? This is not a joystick but a cross button next to the 16 keys. Then push down and down again until WRITE is on the display.
Scrabble

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did everything you said and got it to work a couple of times out of the (15). Sometimes it seemed to need 24 down presses instead of 23, sometimes an extra right press. Am familiar with the cross buttons, yes.

"Choose your first piano and find WRITE in it" -- sound advice I'm sure, but I have no idea what it means.

I give up. I have spent a WEEK scouring the internet and calling dealers for such BASIC info as this -- no hope, even stopping in at Guitar Center. I am clearly not meant to do the #1 obvious thing of setting favorites in one or two moves on the 16 gleaming buttons. To hell with Korg -- I'm smashing this damn thing on the curb and canceling plans for a Casio PX360 too.

I see Yamaha's got a nice 2018 keyboard with the 12 telephone-type buttons -- it's a miracle! Those 3-digit codes are simple, instantaneous, foolproof and FUN. With 999 positions they can cover any library of 200, 500 or 700 sounds. ('Programs'? 'Patches'? 'Variables'?)

GO YAMAHA!

Thank you again for your efforts, arpegiator1. You are the ONLY person I've encountered in ANY keyboard forum that's willing to go the distance. I'm sure your advice is 100% correct but this holder of two music degrees can't get over the hump.
arpegiator1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just press the right button and then the down button until WRITE appears on the display. Go try it. Do you want to learn how to make bread or how to search in a large database of Programs? I'm confused.
Scrabble

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am incapable of learning this via a forum. If anybody thinks they can get me over the hump in real time I'll make it worth their while -- annejr at netzero dot net.

The buttons the menus, the manuals are not intuitive at all. If you have never had an arranger keyboard before this thing will overwhelm you. Even if you have experience with other brand arrangers you will simply have to invest time into learning "the Korg way" of doing things. There is a ton of functionality available - but you will have to learn where it is and how to get to it and there's no substitute for spending time with the instrument. Do not buy one just a few weeks before a gig and expect to be proficient!
I also have experience with Yamahas and I personally find their arranger keyboards/menus to be easier to navigate and use.....
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/microARR--korg-microarranger/reviews

Korg realized this and quickly replaced it with the much more manageable microARRANGER. Right? Looks like there's about 5 times as much documentation on the KMA too. Somebody's done a wonderful series of Youtubes on it -- keeping my eye out for one cheap.
arpegiator1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I personally studied it for 1 year before I was able to write the first song. But this board, even for those who want to play live, has pre-made sounds, presets, programs and, at the same time, a vast amount of settings that lead to new sounds, etc. If you need a vowel, arranger, you bought it bad machine. I sometimes want to compose a song, sometimes create a sound, sometimes record on a computer, and this machine gives me that. So before you start to shame the goods, consider what you're looking for. Smile

And did you notice that microSTATION is not a Microarranger?
Not Korg as Korg ..
Scrabble

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had to study it for a year, and you think I should be able to learn this part with an instruction like "just press the right button and then the down button until WRITE appears on the display"?

I got it to work on the 1st button via your 1st complicated route and asked you how to move to the next one (pressing button #2 first changed nothing) and how to get back to the instrument's default position without having to power cycle?

User mode is a spectacular failure for me too. Can't get into or out of it easily, can't do a damn thing in it.

I don't want to arrange anything -- why would you think so? Would just love to rip all that out of the instrument.

There are of course no takers for the pay deal I offered above. And there won't be. I was dumb enuff to hope some Korg worker or fan would jump in on this page and save the situation, but guess they know nobody reads forums. They're out there ROCKIN' OUT, MAN!

Here's my USA phone number backwards in case somebody decides to 30 years from how: 6699653468. Better email me first (above) as I'm being politically harrassed and not picking up on unfamiliar area codes.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easier than you think it is. It's basically just this: Save copies of your 16 favorite sounds as the first 16 User sounds, and then you can just go to your User category and use the 16 buttons to select them. That's pretty much it.

I'll give you the step-by-step, but first, to try to clear up some other confusions:

You mentioned frustrations with "User mode" (i.e. "User mode is a spectacular failure for me too. Can't get into or out of it easily, can't do a damn thing in it.") - The thing is, there is no User mode. There is a User CATEGORY, i.e. bunch-o'-sounds. The guitar category has guitar sounds, the synth category has synth sounds, etc., and the User category has whatever you (the User) decide to put there, whether those are your own sounds, or copies of sounds that already exist in the other categories... what ends up there is entirely up to you, the user. That's all it is, a way to group your own--or your most frequently used--sounds. But we'll get back to that.

You also mentioned admiring Yamaha's number pad approach... Microstation has that as well. Select the ALL Category (which gives you access to ALL sounds). Hit the NUM LOCK button immediately to the left of the 16 select buttons. Now the first 10 buttons are a number pad for numeric entry (labeled with small numbers, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0, and button #14 is your ENTER key). In Program mode, this gives you immediate access to any of its 777 factory Programs; in Combi mode, this gives you immediate access to all 384 Combis (256 factory, 128 user).

Okay, with that out of the way, let's look at doing what you want to do, use the 16 buttons to instantly access your 16 favorite sounds (or better, two banks of them, to quickly access your favorite 32 sounds).

1. Find a Combi that you'd like to make favorite #1. (Want it to be a program instead of a Combi? We'll deal with that later. For now, pick a Combi. You can alway change it later.)

2. Right-arrow to enter the Edit screens for that Combi, and scroll to the "Write Program" option (it's second from the bottom... and you can hold the button down for fast scrolling)

3. Write (Save) the Combi to location C:000 and set its Category to USER (if you are unsure about how to do ths, check page 58 of the manual, under "Writing from an edit page" -- it shows the method for a Program, but it's the same for a Combi, the screen will just say Combi instead of Program)

4. Follow the same steps to find Combis you'd like to make your favorites 2 through 16, and save them consecutively to locations C:001 through C:015, always setting the Category to USER. (Conveniently, you probably won't have to scroll to "Write Program" every time, it remembers what screen you last used.)

That's it. Next time you power up, select Combi, go to your User category (Category down button until User is selected), and you're all set, the 16 buttons will select your 16 favorite Combis.

What if you want 32? Follow the same steps to find Combis you'd like to make your favorites 17 through 32, and save them consecutively to locations C:016 through C:031, always setting the Category to USER. To get to them quickly while playing, hit button 16 (which brings you to you sound #16) and then the Up arrow. You'll now be at sound #17, and the 16 buttons will now instantly recall your sounds 17 through 32. (The buttons always select the 16 sounds from whatever bank of 16 you're in.)

What if under some of these buttons, you want to store Programs instead of Combis? For this example, let's say you want button #1 to bring up just a single Program. As you may have noticed above, button #1 is associated with location C:000. So...

1. Create a Combi that consists of nothing but the Program you want (including bringing over any effects needed)

2. Write (Save) the Combi to location C:000 and (as always) set its Category to USER. (If you want it in one of the first 32 locations but not #1, pick the appropriate number location between C:001 and C:031 which represent locations 2 through 32.)

There's another approach to this you could take if all of your favorites were nothing but individual programs... basically, you could do the same thing in Program mode instead of Combi mode. But I assumed that at least some of your favorites would be splits/layers (or maybe even include external MIDI sound sources like a sound from an iPhone or whatever) requiring Combi mode, and it would be a nuisance to have to switch back and forth between Program and Combi mode during performance if you didn't have to, so I figured we'd just do everything in Combi mode. But you don't need to. You could certainly keep your favorite Programs in the User category of Program mode and your favorite Combis in the User category of Combi mode, if you prefer.

And in case "C:000" sounds mysterious to you, it's just this: Bank A locations 0-127 (A:000 through A:127) hold factory combis 1 through 128 (the numbering is one off because humans count from one and computers count from zero). Bank B (B:000 through B:127) picks up from where bank A leaves off and holds factory combis 129 through 256. Which brings us to Bank C which is where the empty combi locations ("INIT COMBI") start, so this is where we start putting our own combis (even if they are merely copies of other combis, which is what we did here). And the "magic" of all this is that, by filling them with copies of our favorite sounds and putting them in the User category when we save/write them, those sounds are what will be automatically selected with the 16 buttons when we specify the User category as the group of sound we want to choose from (because the sounds brought up by those 16 buttons is based on what category you're in). There are other permutations of this, things you can vary, but I think this is a logical way to arrange it and allows you to look at the setup and use it in the simplest way.

Last edited by Scott on Fri May 17, 2019 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Scrabble

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, Scott! Look forward to trying all this soon! I think you're a life saver -- have a great day, or night as the case may be!

THANK YOU.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you're all set, but I wanted to add something to my description above:

I suggested doing everything through Combi mode so you would never have to switch modes during a performance. However, there is actually a very good reason why you might want to make use of Program mode to switch among your favorite 16 (or whatever) sounds that happen to all be Programs. When you switch sounds in Combi mode, any held or decaying notes will cut off when you switch sounds. But in Program mode, held sounds continue to hold through the patch change. There is a short glitch and possible change in the sound when you make the switch, but that can still be a lot better than having the sound cut out completely. The amount of change to the old sound depends on the sounds you're switching to and from, and how different its settings are (i.e. effects).

ETA: and p.s. -- while I provided the step-by-step for doing everything from the front panel, there's also a Mac/PC editor, you can do the same things from there, that should be faster/easier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: