Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kronos user friendly ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
uncle G 118

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: kronos user friendly ? Reply with quote

I have a Korg m3 88 and love it but is not easy to work...for example...It is not compatible with playing midi files or Mp3 playable files w/o tons of hard crap to get it to work .My Yamaha keys are plug and play when it comes to playing midi files ect .I have to go deep into settings of my M 3... (GM2) and it still will not play the file properly w/o a bunch of setting it all up .It is really frustrating .
My concern is ...has the Kronos finally made it easier to play a midi file with all of the sounds not having to be resetup it all again ?
Is the Karma as good as the M3 ?
I will die if it is not .I do not understand why Yamaha is so easy for this but my Korg m3 is murder for easy plug and play with simple midi files ect .
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since you are not comfortable with m3, Kronos is not going to be more comfortable.

I don't believe you will die.

Some midi files have tried my patience . But the extra work is actually the midi file itself with all its extraneous cc messages.

There are a few folks that have de-mystified midi file handling. Maybe they will have some advice.

Last edited by GregC on Fri May 17, 2019 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you watched the video Qui Robinez made about using MIDI files in the Kronos? I don't really use MIDI files, but it looks pretty painless to me?

https://youtu.be/HxtdJ3vYSpU
macluit

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Have a look at the Pa4X
The sounds are impressive (imho as a Kronos owner)
and the board is xtremely flexibel with mp3

Ben
uncle G 118

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macluit wrote:
Hi

Have a look at the Pa4X

Ben

Yes I had a pa4x the only problem is it had no Karma I really do want the Karma function
You are right the pa4 experts very user-friendly for everything that I wanted with the midi file to MP3 I just wish they would be that way with the I other Korg synthesizer
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uncle G 118 wrote:
macluit wrote:
Hi

Have a look at the Pa4X

Ben

Yes I had a pa4x the only problem is it had no Karma I really do want the Karma function
You are right the pa4 experts very user-friendly for everything that I wanted with the midi file to MP3 I just wish they would be that way with the I other Korg synthesizer

Karma is fairly complex on Kronos. While I love karma and frequently use it on my originals, it takes time and patience to manage it.

You might clarify what you expect Karma to do for your playing. Or what your music goal is with Karma. It is not a tool to 'simplify midi '. It uses midi in many creative ways, for sure.
uncle G 118

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
Have you watched the video Qui Robinez made about using MIDI files in the Kronos? I don't really use MIDI files, but it looks pretty painless to me?

https://youtu.be/HxtdJ3vYSpU

Awesome...thank you
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome. The real thanks goes to Qui, of course, for making all the excellent tutorials. I'd recommend watching all of them if you're potentially in the market for a Kronos. He does a nice job of showing some of the more sophisticated things you can do with the Kronos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLx607dnAaOs72x7CuUgn-q1I2XUbnB9-r

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLx607dnAaOs49f89TNyGjM_KyJAiEgewM

I don't think Kronos supports mp3 format.

I am pretty sure Karma was upgraded to Karma2 sometime between the M3 and Kronos, so theoretically, Karma should be even more advanced than on the M3.

As for general user friendliness, Kronos was my first Korg brand workstation. I've watched a fair number of videos on their older models - mostly because Korg tends to talk most about a feature when it's first released, so sometimes there's more info there.

Based on that, I think the Kronos has some refinements in terms of ease of use compared to older workstation models. E.g. the set list feature doesn't exist on the M3, does it? That makes it really easy to keep track of and get instant access to sounds you care about. Pretty sure the Easy split/layer function is only in the Kronos. That's a nice quick, intuitive way to do this. I'm sure there are other UI refinements over the years.

To me, the top layer stuff is very user friendly. As you start digging down a couple of layers into really programming it, it becomes an "expert" workstation. By that I mean it's fast to navigate for someone who understands it. But there is a deep learning curve to fully master the mindboggling amount of things in it. I'm sure the M3 is the same way, and there's just even more of it in the K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: