Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Limited drum slots - best way to efficiently use drum slots

View previous topic :: View next topic  
b1gb1rd

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Limited drum slots - best way to efficiently use drum slots Reply with quote

Korg Kronos 2

I am setting up the kronos for casuals with lots of songs each with it's own midi drum pattern.

I am putting a 4 - 8 bar drum pattern as a midi track on each song - playing the rest of the song live - LH bass, & other parts

I run out of available drum slots after about 30 songs - message "no more available drum slots"

What is a more efficient way to use the available drum midi memory to be able to load up more songs in one .sng load?

thanks in advance - just figuring this beast out....running in to limits earlier than I expected

B
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Limited drum slots - best way to efficiently use drum sl Reply with quote

b1gb1rd wrote:
Korg Kronos 2

I am setting up the kronos for casuals with lots of songs each with it's own midi drum pattern.

I am putting a 4 - 8 bar drum pattern as a midi track on each song - playing the rest of the song live - LH bass, & other parts

I run out of available drum slots after about 30 songs - message "no more available drum slots"

What is a more efficient way to use the available drum midi memory to be able to load up more songs in one .sng load?

thanks in advance - just figuring this beast out....running in to limits earlier than I expected

B

Could be more of a work flow change for you. I have never experienced 'drum memory' as a problem.

Some questions;

are you using Kronos drum kits [ not GM stuff] ?

are you using midi files from other sources ?

are you using the SEQ ?

how many Songs in each 'set ' ? Seems like 30 songs for a 45 minute set is too many for 1 set

The simple solution seems to be to load your custom Song files from DISK for each set

Files mostly stream from SSD. Which is almost limitless for drum kits. If you are saving WAV files of your Songs, make sure you stream from Disk not Ram
b1gb1rd

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back to me greg!

I am using Kronos drum kits.
Yes - I am using a SEQ for each song
I understand I could accept the limit and load songs from disk, I just find it hard to believe there is not another way.

I am writing about 4 bars of midi data on the drum
track of each song. So only about 4 * 30 = 120 bars of midi data on drum tracks when I hit this limit " no more drum slots"

I was expecting to be able to load up all 127 sequences with drums, especially if I limit my drums to fairly small loops.

I am thinking the Kronos is designed to do what I am doing in a different way - perhaps using the user drum patterns in sequences, instead of midi
data on the drum track of the sequence.

Thanks for sharing your experience

B
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b1gb1rd wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me greg!

I am using Kronos drum kits.
Yes - I am using a SEQ for each song
I understand I could accept the limit and load songs from disk, I just find it hard to believe there is not another way.

I am writing about 4 bars of midi data on the drum
track of each song. So only about 4 * 30 = 120 bars of midi data on drum tracks when I hit this limit " no more drum slots"

I was expecting to be able to load up all 127 sequences with drums, especially if I limit my drums to fairly small loops.

I am thinking the Kronos is designed to do what I am doing in a different way - perhaps using the user drum patterns in sequences, instead of midi
data on the drum track of the sequence.

Thanks for sharing your experience

B

I am puzzled on this. Drum kits use little memory.

Several of my songs use all 16 midi channels, 3 or 4 drum kits, 3 or 4 patterns, easily in access of 140 bars. And I use Karma scenes for drum variation.

However this is all created on 1 slot, lets say S000.

If I have time today, I will try to duplicate your work flow, load up Kronos drum kits on 4 slots , run them out past 130 bars.

How are you doing on SSD storage ?

Are you adding lots of Fx ? Just for fun, view Performance meters for excessive note usage and note borrowing. But this should not be any problem with 4 drum kits running at once
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: