Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

using foot switch to bring in voice, then re-mute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddyg3042

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: using foot switch to bring in voice, then re-mute Reply with quote

I’m trying to do something which should be pretty simple, but can’t figure out for the life of me figure out how to do.

I have a number of Combi’s with Karma setups where I can use the Karma Buttons to bring in various scenes with the appropriate instrumentation. For those songs, it’s easy to press the Karma Buttons when needed as there’s a lull in the music where I can switch scenes with my hands. I don't know much about Karma...but have figured that out.

What I’m trying to do is set up a Combi with two instruments. I need to use a footpedal to bring a 2nd instrument in for like a bar, then mute it. I’ve got a handful of chords I’m playing at the same time, and can't use my hands to switch quickly to bring in another instrument for a bar, mute it for a bar, and bring it in again, etc.. Ideally, the switch pedal would be preferred, as I’m sustaining the chords as the 2nd instrument comes in.

There’s no switch pedal in the Perf RTP under assign, and not having any success with the other menus, so am a bit lost.

Any help greatly appreciated.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to make it easier for you , use a ready COMBI with at least 2 Karma scenes that is close to what you need.
- In Perf RTP page normally Karma Scenes are assigned to DynamicMIDIs 1-8
- Go to KARMA/Dynamic MIDI page , click on source/KARMA Scene 1-8 that you want to control via foot pedal , click on arrow
browser of specific KARMA scene x and select instead , either Foot Pedal CC#04 nor Damper CC#64 according to what you like.
- Done

Now Karma scene X is controlled by selected pedal , when press pedal , sound patch attached to this Karma Scene will be enabled
and when release pedal patch will be disabled (not muted) , instead of using toggle mode KARMA Scene Switch.
As next copy these Karma settings (Perf RTP & Dynamic MIDI) to your new COMBI arrangement via available options.

There are many other techniques to do that via pedal especially if the sound patch is syn-pad where pedal fade in and out is more
appropriate , creating Programs that have ±AMS send to OSC Amp via pedal and then group them in your Combi.
The great advantage of Karma scenes method is that this is the only way to save polyphony unlike Program AMS or FX amp control that
just mute and do not disable (turn off) patches and waste valuable polyphony in Combi setup.

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V

Last edited by AntonySharmman on Sat May 18, 2019 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way is route your instrument to the Dyna Compressor (or any of several other IFX).

Set its Output to 0. Set the AMS to your footswitch and its Intensity to 25-50, to taste.

The nice thing about this method is you can also set another group of instruments to a separate Dyna Compressor, but with its Output and AMS intensity the opposite of the above. Pressing a footswitch will therefore mute this 2nd group while bringing in the 1st group.
Daddyg3042

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you both.

I went with the compressor trick. Works well. One thing that tripped me up was that I have my foot switch set to JS+Y for leslie effects. It's the primary thing I use that pedal for. Setting the IFX AMS for JS+Y worked, but it caused the (brass) patche to oscillate(like the the JS+Y will), so I found a patch where that effect was minimal, and went with it.

Because the pedal assignment is global and I really need to leave it set up for leslie effects, is there a way to defeat the oscillation/warble in the program, but still allow the voice to sound? . I've used Kurzweil boards up until I got the Kronos, so I'm used to being able to assign foot pedals per "program" or "setup". It's more complicated on the Kronos, but I'm really glad there's workarounds.

Truly appreciate the help!
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preference would be to leave the global footswitch setting as Footswitch (CC #82) and then use that as the controller source to switch on/off the Leslie effect. You don't have to stick with the default JS+Y to speed up or slow down the rotary speaker (and duplicate it via the footswitch). Just need to edit the effect's speed switch setting to the FootSW #82.

This should produce consistent & expected results across all of your programs and combis once you've edited them.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:
My preference would be to leave the global footswitch setting as Footswitch (CC #82) and then use that as the controller source to switch on/off the Leslie effect. You don't have to stick with the default JS+Y to speed up or slow down the rotary speaker (and duplicate it via the footswitch). Just need to edit the effect's speed switch setting to the FootSW #82.

This should produce consistent & expected results across all of your programs and combis once you've edited them.

+1

It's also useful to leave the foot pedal to CC #4.

By setting the physical controller to fixed CC, this gives you the flexibility on a per program basis to decide what you want that physical controller to affect.
Daddyg3042

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaahhh! I get it.

The Kronos went to work immediately after I got it like a year ago, and I just tried to get a functional result as quickly & easily as I could for the 3 projects I'm in. My logic at the time was to just search around for what was triggering the leslie. When I saw that it was set to JS+Y, I just set the global pedal to that, and it did the trick. Just didn't realize that it was just a default setting set up for using a leslie with no pedals.

My level of understanding just went up a notch or two. In moving from the Kurzes to the Kronos, I was sorely missing some functionality that I couldn't seem to duplicate on the Kronos. I think I got it now.

Thanks so much.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you got it! :) Very cool.

The thing about Korg workstations is that they are, actually, incredibly flexible, maybe too flexible, but sometimes they aren't incredibly intuitive. And to complicate that, there is usually more than one way to do something. Anyway, please always ask questions if something isn't working the way you think it should. A lot of us have been using Korg stuff for ages (in my case, dating way, way back to the DW8000 but for workstations truly when the Korg M1 first came out), so we've learned through a lot of trial and error as well as asking a ton of questions along the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: