Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused About Karma...What is it, Really?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevbo

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Confused About Karma...What is it, Really? Reply with quote

I'm trying to do research on Karma, thinking it's an "effect" within the Kronos, but rather keep finding results for the Korg Karma (a physical keyboard).

When you all say you enjoy Karma, or you hope "said" keybord has Karma, do you simply mean you hope the keyboard also contains the Karma engine from that Karma keyboard?

Seems like so many of you enjoy Karma, but I'm not entirely sure what Karma is. I currently record into my DAW using my Korg Triton factory sounds, and some VSTs, also controlled by the Triton.

Does Karma just add more real-time effects, or is Karma a way of playing a certain way (i.e. bringing in certain instruments at certain times, and cutting them back out, all in real-time)?

Thanks for any input, or direction I can go to read/watch/learn more!
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma basically pays you back in multiples, for every input you act upon it.

You can input a lot of things, a good variety, and get back a wider variety of pay back.
Be sure you know what you are doing when you get into it, because if you go wrong in what you put in, it can pay you back in ways you were not wanting.

The most basic aspect of Karma is note patterns that play along with you.
You press one key and karma pays you back with numerous notes.
And the patterns you get back, can be adjusted in real time via many parameters that alter the pattern qualities as it plays.

But then Karma does so much more. Midi routing solutions, note mapping solutions, control setups that include setups to bring sounds or groups of sounds in and out at the touch of a switch.
It does even more and i doubt any one karma user uses most of karma features in any one set of songs.

The way that it does its thing is the real treat. It can be complicated in comparison to some other products, but karma offers a unique type of flexibility and broad utility all in one place.

I am sure others can add to list of things Karma does.

I don’t know everything it can do but...
I am certain it does not wash dishes.

Last edited by 19naia on Mon May 20, 2019 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... that's an interesting question.

OK, the KARMA in your Kronos has evolved quite a bit since the original KARMA keyboard, but it is essentially built upon that concept.

There's a fairly long-ish article here on the KARMA wiki about what it is: http://karma-lab.wikidot.com/karma2:how-does-karma-work

Anyway, you can make KARMA to be almost anything you want it to be, spend as much or as little time with it as you like. It can function as an arpeggiator, or do psuedo-arranger styles like stuff. You can use it as a drum machine if you want. You can modify its output in real time based on what you play or how you move the controls. You can do all of those things together in one combi or song. It is extraordinarily complex under the hood so to speak, but it is simple to use. Switch it on, play some chords, switch a scene, twist a knob, move a slider.... see what happens. You can even buy the software that makes it all happen and create your own stuff -- but you don't need it.

And when you want to know how it is doing all of those things, well... that's a story for another day. :)
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused About Karma...What is it, Really? Reply with quote

Kevbo wrote:
I'm trying to do research on Karma, thinking it's an "effect" within the Kronos, but rather keep finding results for the Korg Karma (a physical keyboard).

When you all say you enjoy Karma, or you hope "said" keybord has Karma, do you simply mean you hope the keyboard also contains the Karma engine from that Karma keyboard?

Seems like so many of you enjoy Karma, but I'm not entirely sure what Karma is. I currently record into my DAW using my Korg Triton factory sounds, and some VSTs, also controlled by the Triton.

Does Karma just add more real-time effects, or is Karma a way of playing a certain way (i.e. bringing in certain instruments at certain times, and cutting them back out, all in real-time)?

Thanks for any input, or direction I can go to read/watch/learn more!

If you don't own a Kronos, here is an excerpt of the Kronos Operation Guide :

Quote:
Overview - What is KARMA?
KARMA stands for Kay Algorithmic Realtime Music
Architecture, named after its inventor, Stephen Kay.
KARMA generates MIDI data, using many different
algorithms seamlessly integrated to provide a powerful
“music generation engine.” Based on the notes and chords
you play, KARMA creates phrases and patterns in real-time,
generating not just notes but MIDI control data as well. The
KARMA architecture allows the various algorithms to be
reconfigured and varied in realtime, as you play them.
For example, you can create the dynamic tempo changes that
occur within a harp glissando, the synchronized changes in
volume and tone that occur as part of a brass phrase, the
randomness within a drum phrase, the crescendo and
diminuendo of a fill-in, changes in phrase or tone of a techno
groove, complex interweaving phrases that would be
impossible to play on a keyboard, guitar strumming and
finger-picking simulations with natural-sounding changes,
and backing grooves that follow your keyboard playing in
realtime – all under your control. KARMA lets you produce
phrases and patterns at a far more musical and flexible level
than conventional arpeggiators or pattern playback
functions.
On the KRONOS, KARMA is designed to work in close
conjunction with the numerous other functions, giving you
unbelievable performance power on stage or in the studio.

If you want, you can download this Operation Guide and read the Karma chapter. This will give you a good idea of what it can do : https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/424/2010/

As said above, you can go and see the Stephen Kay's website (he is the inventor of the Karma) : https://www.karma-lab.com/main.html

Here is a video with some of the Karma possibilities : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmqyYBdbgUs&t=738s

Here is a very simple Korg video about Karma : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE3t44wirSw

And a good video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ThGwuLKK2k
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep searching and persisting.

Your musical life will be better if you have and use and give Karma
Very Happy
Kevbo

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, all! Going to start reading and watching now. Very informative, and I can see how passionate you are about your KARMA. Smile I really do appreciate your time giving me this information.

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: