Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Volca releases at 2019 NAMM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkside

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here you go - there's another one.

https://soundcloud.com/drxid/negatiivsuse-rasketoostus

This time even darker and more minimal, sort of ambient I guess.
Darkside

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's yet another crazy experiment, where Volca Modular is on the lead this time.

https://soundcloud.com/drxid/riisivalja-sodalased
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mate, top stuff. Followed!!
I love that last one with all the soloing over the top. Really inspired, reminds me of some of the experimental music I used to hear at the beginning of the 21st century when I was attending sound meets devoted to this sort of thing, though this is a lot better and I'm not saying that just to be nice, it's the truth. Keep up the good work.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here

Last edited by megamarkd on Tue May 07, 2019 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Darkside

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, thanks! There will definitely be more.
To be honest, before getting into modular I used to, well, not like sutch kind of stuff at all, questioning always: why do they still make that kind of music. Being able to quite literally touch this music with my hands and construct it gave a completely different look to everything. It's actually more than just interesting to build a patch in which some aspects are of course still controllable by it's builder, but overall it's living and functioning by itself and working in sutch a way is definitely more varied than just programming a pattern into a regular step sequencer.
Currently I have an extreme interest in Mutable instruments Plaits, so it's more than sure I'll be getting it in not so far future. So yeah, there will be more of those cosmic sound particles flying out my system.
Travelinni

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay another volca this time with a tube!

no offense to volca owners but seriously volca?
i bet you can polka.

volka nu bass vaccum tube synth , does that mean it can suck tube synths?
just another gimmick proudly brought by lovely Borg
ROFL
Darkside

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, if I ever decide to get that one, there will be lots more acid and my Roland Tb-03 could go to sleep on that matter! Of course the Nubass is no 303 emulator, but it sounds definitely acidic and evil.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this new NuBass is so uninspiring. Sub Osc with a not aggresive saturation and the volume know doesn't have a big range, the Bass can do a better sub osc with two oscillator.
You get Accent and Transpose stuff with random generator and you lose the ability to have up to 3 different sequencer
But the most stupid thing is put LFO Rate and Speed as shift function on Attack and EG Int? And they leave Accent and Swing alone? Who did this synth? Kids?
Travelinni

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:
this new NuBass is so uninspiring. Sub Osc with a not aggresive saturation and the volume know doesn't have a big range, the Bass can do a better sub osc with two oscillator.
You get Accent and Transpose stuff with random generator and you lose the ability to have up to 3 different sequencer
But the most stupid thing is put LFO Rate and Speed as shift function on Attack and EG Int? And they leave Accent and Swing alone?

Exactly!
To hell with Korg and these stupid plastic rubbish!
Somehow i see a resemblance between korg and roland remaking crap and completely uninspiring rubbish!
Hey but we all know how they are ... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

and that's another reason why i never bought the new electribes aswel.
What a load of KACK!

Quote:
Who did this synth? Kids?

yeah man , and i'm not gonna even look on how much they are asking for this piece of sh*% !
Really disappointed.

I bet this range sounds so damn digital that seriously what's the point of making this kinda crap?
Do they not realize people own computers and can make music digitally already?
Seriously ... BORG!
And that tube... what a joke ! Same gimmick as the Korg EMX/ESX. Valve powered my arse mate! bit of nice saturation when it sounds rubbish.
Even my EM-1 beats the hell out of all these toys.
Nothing like owning vintage instruments.
Travelinni

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkside wrote:
Oh yeah, if I ever decide to get that one, there will be lots more acid and my Roland Tb-03 could go to sleep on that matter! Of course the Nubass is no 303 emulator, but it sounds definitely acidic and evil.

Probably but anyways I'm not into this range of products or anything new from Korg.
Seriously don't even waste your time in this unless you want to have a mini piece of plastic around.
Do these even work on batteries?

Edit : just googled it i think they do.
Well that's the only strong point if you wanna grab this and polka but i wouldn't fancy setting a studio outdoors anyways and don't think anyone would be using just one polka machine anyways so...
meh.

I mean seriously look how flimsy it looks!
Sorry Polka users.

179 pounds for this?

ROFL
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travelinni wrote:

Do these even work on batteries?

surprised you don't know. i'm going to give you a serious answer.

ok: the one i'm interested in and find properly valid and useful is the volcaFM.
it's a decent way to have FM, with some limitations, but also some new things.
i LIKE the fact that it's small, especially. the sound isn't.
plastic doesn't bother me: some of the most relevant synths and gear in the
last 30 yrs was plastic. small doesn't either. i need to move around sometimes.

my view on this 'NuBass' is that it's a really weak concept and execution.
everybody has been asking for a mini MS10. that would have been a class act.
the little Modular seems like a strong product (maybe...) and the Drum has
possibilities - but having had an ER1mkII, i think that's what i'd go for instead,
for the better memory and sequencing, though the Drum may have a more detailed
sound. it isn't really what i'm looking for.

i don't buy these new. i pick'em up 2nd hand when people sell'em cheeep.
seems like people change synths like they do socks. suits me.

there's stuff that p*sses me off about volcas, sure. it p*sses me off more that
Korg release something like this, rather than take the format a bit more seriously.
(and continue to generate responses like yours. what, incidentally do you suggest
in the small and portable category - genuinely interested question - ?)
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travelinni have you ever played a Volca? Why bother posting all your hate here if you have? Just go play whatever instruments you do like and let others enjoy what they like. You are sounding like a guitar nazi paying out on synth musicians because they "just press a button and let the synth play the music".
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(edit...)
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
Travelinni have you ever played a Volca? Why bother posting all your hate here if you have? Just go play whatever instruments you do like and let others enjoy what they like. You are sounding like a guitar nazi paying out on synth musicians because they "just press a button and let the synth play the music".

With you! I like critique and stuff I'm not for "you have to only say good stuff" but that guy share pure hate,wtf!
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's happening with this forum now, we have the 'long' display.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I like the sound of the NubAss and it's simplicity. As old mate in the thread about this synth on the News board said, tubes are being used as osc's by Erica in their modules and isn't exactly just a gimmick, they really do have a different sound to the traditional methods of creating analogue waveforms. It's definitely not like the second wave of Electribes that used very tame sounding tubes in their amp section.
Shonuff, I'd have thought you'd jump on the idea of swapping out the valve to screw with the sound and try to find a tube that will make it sound nothing like the sound it comes with.

I'm not very familiar with the original Volca Bass but have done a little bit of A/B listening on youtube to the two machines and have to say that although the original Bass is a nice synth (three osc's is a boon!), they definitely have a different sound to them with the NubAss really sounding like an instrument made to make acid bass.
I'd love a real TB-303 but I can't afford one and I thing they are too fiddly when it comes to writing a sequence. I remember reading about the devilfish mod many moons ago (before dawn of the new century) and laughed at how it was supposedly a grand stroke of genius to work a DS-1 pedal in to the 303 box; I'd been using a DS-2 on my MS-20 of a long time in my attempts to emulate the 303 sound (and patching the mod wheel to the pitch to get the gliding between notes sounding right). The growl that the NubAss has to it is reminiscent of that set-up without going overboard on the distortion, as I used to do Wink

ShoNuff I know you are wishing for the programmer's playground and you ain't gonna get that with this new bass box, which is a shame. And TheDoctor I know you feel like it's a dumbed-down synth and have to agree it's like a betrayal of the original knob-per-function aesthetic for ease of live performance, but for my tastes and desires, it's a great addition of texture to what I've got going already and able to provide a sound I can't get out my Pulse 1 or 2 (both of which can do the original VBass sound albeit without the on board sequencer).

And Darkside, I have to agree with you, I think I'm dropping the TB-03 off my list of "I'll grab one 2nd hand if I see one cheap" list and adding this to the "I'll buy one new when I have the flashcash burning a hole in my pocket" list. But I do really like the the Drum and the Modular, both are really so tempting too. It's really starting to feel like Pokemon, gotta catch them all! YIKES Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: