Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sounds from scratch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myuserid

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Sounds from scratch Reply with quote

Hi there. I'm trying to build a sound from scratch. What I'm looking for is a long sustained wa sound. I'm looking for 20 to 30 seconds. Don't have any idea how to work with decay or sustain. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Myuserid on Tue May 21, 2019 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit tough to describe what to do without knowing more about what you want and how and why.

But basically: decay is how long it takes the sound volume to move from full, to the sustain level.

Sustain is the level at which it will stay while you hold the key down.
Myuserid

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll try to come up with a coherent scenario tomorrow when I'm back with the synth. I know I've changed the decay setting with absolutely no change in the basic sound. It's frustrating.
Myuserid

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, let's see.

1. I'm starting with an Init program on the Krome.
2. In P2 OSC/Pitch page on the OSC 1 tab, under Multi-sample, I've selected a mono sine wave.
3. I'm looking for a way to extend a note after it's played (after the key is released). If I understand correctly, this is the decay time. I want the note to slowly die away over a number of seconds (say 10). I just don't know where to set this.
4. I'd like the note to change in pitch over time in a wah sort of way. This may be more advanced but I'll throw it out there.

So, what settings do I change (and where are they) to extend a note.?
What do I need to do to make the note pitch-bend?

Sorry, these are newbie questions. I'm just looking for a starting point. Thanks.[/list]
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) sure.

2) So far, so good.

3) No. Decay is while the note is still being held. After the note is released, is Release.

4) You can link pitch to an envelope (which will change the pitch).
Myuserid

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Koekepan. I now understand the difference between Decay and Release. Still, I must be doing something wrong. I can change every value on the P2 Pitch/EG tab with absolutely no change to the sound of the note or it's release time. The envelope diagram changes but there is no change in the note itself. What am I missing?
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, at this point I'm not sure. It all works for me.

Maybe check out some youtube demos? I'm not sure - is there an expert local to you?
yank

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the EG intensity in AMP section has not been set.
Myuserid

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yank wrote:
I think the EG intensity in AMP section has not been set.

Well, thanks for the response. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve the issue. I can't find anything specifically to set EG intensity in the amp section. I can change the shape of the envelope but it has no effect on the sound. Is there some sort of workflow (just the first few steps) I should follow to start shaping a sound (starting with an Init program)? I have to be missing something very simple.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using a high value for the Release parameter on Program Edit page 4 (P4 AMP/EQ) Amp1 EG tab. The relationship between parameter value and effect here is exponential, not linear, allowing a large range of release times, so setting the Release parameter to 90 will give a release time of 10secs, whilst 99 will give a release time of 87secs. 95 should give a release time of around 30 secs. Leave the AMS settings to off or use values of 00 for now.

One other thing. Is the program set to single oscillator? If it is in double oscillator mode, then the second osc will not be affected by the release set in the Amp1 EG tab

Hope this helps.

Myuserid

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, voip. The release parameter works as you described. I'm using a single oscillator for now but it's good to know that the parameter is unique to each oscillator. You've been a great deal of help and this gives me a starting point. I've also been re-reading the Korg Krome Operations Guide and am picking up more about user programs in general.

Thanks again. Have a great day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: