Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prophet Rev2: nasty SPLIT/STACK issue w/ Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Prophet Rev2: nasty SPLIT/STACK issue w/ Kronos Reply with quote

Beware using a DSI Rev2 when connected to your Kronos!

If you press both the SPLIT and STACK buttons at the same time on the Rev2, it will send out a string of random commands that will instantly scramble and write over several of your Kronos combis!

In other words, one simple 2-button combo on the REV2 affected over a half dozen of my combis by changing some random timbres to EXi INITs.

Worse, it hard saved all those changes instantly. Evil or Very Mad

Reboots didn't fix anything, and I tested it again. There go hours of changes!
I'm pretty upset. I haven't backed up my Kronos in a couple months, so I've got to put in lots of hours to fix this. Brick wall

At least this didn't happen right before a gig, I've got about a week to sort it all.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to hear that but I always backup my all my combi's and programs.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you contacted DSI to complain?
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily my 2 month old backup was good enough that it didn't take too much extra work to get back to where I needed to be.

Will email Sequential to let them know, for whatever good that will do. FWIW, I already contacted their support 6 months ago to bring up the problem with multimode aftertouch. Their less than stellar response then doesn't give me much reassurance anything fruitful will come from another issue with a rare use case scenario.

I don't know how many gigging Rev2/Kronos owners there are. But I imagine if any have already encountered this issue, they've adapted and found the Kronos' strengths overcame the Rev2's faults.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts / things to try: hook up a MIDI monitor to see exactly what MIDI messages are sent when you push Split and Stack at the same time...the Prophet can be set to send either MIDI CC or NRPNs, and NRPNs could cause unexpected results (!), since by definition these can have different uses on different instruments...I think that you can set the Kronos to ignore various kinds of incoming data, too...and from the DSI manual, it looks like the instrument can operate in either Split or Stack mode, but not both modes at the same time, so pushing undefined combinations of switch inputs can cause strange behavior...
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, I've got the Rev2 hooked up to MIDI OX now. I'm getting note data, but there is no data generated when I push SPLIT|STACK at the same time.

Rev2 global: SYSEX cable: USB, Send Parameter: Off, Send Program Chg: Off

I'm not sure why I don't see any data, but I'm not about to try reproducing the issue again with my Kronos.

I did notice while correcting those combis that the changed timbres were not random. Only channel 2 and channel 3 timbres were changed.

Thankfully it wasn't a total disaster, thanks to my backup 2 months ago.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Thing is, I've got the Rev2 hooked up to MIDI OX now. I'm getting note data, but there is no data generated when I push SPLIT|STACK at the same time.

Rev2 global: SYSEX cable: USB, Send Parameter: Off, Send Program Chg: Off

I'm not sure why I don't see any data, but I'm not about to try reproducing the issue again with my Kronos.

I did notice while correcting those combis that the changed timbres were not random. Only channel 2 and channel 3 timbres were changed.

You might check to see if any of the MIDI-OX filters are on, I run into this all the time when I forget that I set filters for some previous MIDI-OX use...I'd make sure the filters are off, then connect the Prophet directly to the computer running MIDI-OX (no Kronos in the setup!) and push the buttons; something has to be coming across to cause the problem (?)...
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for following up. I did manage to get some data in MIDI OX, but only after I enabled MIDI Parameter Send on the Rev2. I thought I had this set to OFF by default, but maybe it wasn't....

Regardless, I still haven't been able to replicate the deadly issue on my Kronos. One main difference is that this old backup contains combis that don't have any timbres set to EXT. I only just recently discovered that using EXT or EXT2 instead of INT allowed me to send program changes to my Rev2 and Integra, so that a single press of the Set List button got every MIDI device to pull up their corresponding "combi" to match the song.

Still, it's bizarre that a single button combo from any device would cause several combis to change several timbres and WRITE them all at once. Don't know what caused it, hope to not have it happen again...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: