Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement System SSD with a bigger one / Issue
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Replacement System SSD with a bigger one / Issue Reply with quote

Hello,

Some months ago, I sent a post about the choice to do between adding a second SSD or replace the first one with a bigger one. For that time, I've used a second SSD and that works well.

But now, I want to try the replacement. There are three steps to follow :

1) Cloning
2) Partitionning
3) RE-installing system with DVD

After several tries, I've succeeded. The Kronos starts well with the new ssd. But, going to system info, I've seen that it doesn't detect the 220 go it should, but only the original size, about 52 go. Though, I had extended the partition before.
The Kronos does not recognize the extension.

So, if some of you, had already done this procedure, could please tell me ?

Thanks a lot.
FrankWahl

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Replacement System SSD with a bigger one / Issue Reply with quote

Hi Liviou2004,

I did several clones for ssds or even sd-cards under windows with the same problem.
The problem is, that you get "unallocated space" (hope it's the right word) and the shown space is the same as before cloning.
As I remember I used (under windows) "Mini Tool Partition Wizard". It doesn't cause that problem or it's possible to "allocate" the unallocated memory, get a new partition and/or add the space to the main partition.
I think "GParted" can do this, too.

The Kronos can't do this (I think). You need a partitioning tool as "Mini Tool Partition Wizard" or "GParted", "Clonezilla" etc. on your computer.

There are many helpful links, when google ""unallocated space".

Best regards
Frank
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you frank.

From windows I used AOMEI Backupper for cloning and then Easeus Partition Master for partitioning.

From Boot CD, I used clonezilla and then, gparted. The problem is that gparted can't accept more than 4 parts. Tough, the Kornos system includes 5 parts.

All in all, as I said before, I was able to get a right installation in my new SSD (with windows softs), execpt that the Kronos doesn't recognize the all extension part. It reacts as if I haven't change the SSD. That what I don't undertstand.
Purgatory

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick copy and paste from another thread where I did the following below and all worked correctly, you are doing something wrong. Shout if you can't follow what I said and I will help you, you need the software I state below and make bootable CDs or USB BOOT DRIVES/thumb drives of the software for your pc to boot the software from (use the boot options to boot from the USB or CDs you create for the software in your systems BIOS options/boot options :-

Links to the software used :-

Clonezilla :- https://clonezilla.org/

Gparted :- https://gparted.org/

Well I updated my kronos 2 88 today with two 500gb Samsung 860 evos.

I used clonezilla in advanced mode and only selected device to device and further in the settings removed all the stars apart from added the sector by sector option Only that and cloned the original ssd to the 500gb and then an option later comes up asking if you want the boot record and mbr say yes and clone and shutdown option after completion.

Then I ran Gparted and extended the partition of the unallocated space then set the space to korg rw ext3 partition the full space.

Installed the drive back into the kronos and the second 500gb not formated or anything.

Started kronos expecting a boot failure as some on here state and to use the dvds to reinstall. BUT I cloned and extended the partition correctly so it booted right up no problems and showed the full 500gb was available correctly. So all saying you need to reinstall are cloning and extending the unallocated space incorrectly.

I then formated the second 500gb ssd from the disk menu on the kronos and all worked correctly too.

Now adding the second ssd means you need to remove the keyboard to get to the second ssd connector on the motherboard and may not be for everyone, it wasn't difficult but again I work in I.T and do repairs on servers and desktop computers daily and repair electronic equipment all the time. Honestly if you took your time and work carefully it is easy. You will need a right angled ssd cable to go into the motherboard connector and the cable needs to be 70cm for the kronos 2 88.

When I was in there I actually tided up some of the cabling better than what korg did, also the ssd in the kronos was some terrible cheap one, so happy I got that out.

I took pictures of the process for others to see and will post all this when I have a chance and show how to correctly clone and extended the unallocated space. It didn't need anything doing when done right, all started up as before but with more space and didn't ask for authorisation for anything, all was still authorised as before.

Anyone that wants help just ask. Ignore this terrible link that people always post http://www.kronoscopie.fr/remplacer-ajouter-un-ssd.html he is doing the cloning and extending wrong, that's why he states you need to reinstall from the dvds later too.. Crazy..

Last edited by Purgatory on Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. Before tempting your method, I'm afraid I will encounter the same issue with GParted :

The original SSD contains 5 parts. The last part is the one wich has to be expand. When I tempted to use the unallocated space, GParted displayed a message saying its impossible to work with more than 4 parts. I don't know why this limitation.

So, I can operate a good cloning with clonezilla, as you suggest (thanks fot that), but I think GParted will block.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
... GParted displayed a message saying its impossible to work with more than 4 parts. I don't know why this limitation.

I am not sure what's Kronos partition scheme is, but MSDOS partition table (legacy) has limitation of 4 primary only.

Anyway this is ridiculous how Kronos handles installation of new primary SSD drive.
And It's ignorant too, because Korg limits its own sales.
I have my Korg 2, and the drive is already full with my own material ( ~10% free space left ) Therefore I am not able to buy any libraries.
By the time the warranty expires ( 2.5 yrs into the future,to be able open Kronos ) I won't need any libraries at all, 'cos I will have my own.

If I were you I would install 128 Gb drive, perhaps there is a reason why is this limit enforced.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
... GParted displayed a message saying its impossible to work with more than 4 parts. I don't know why this limitation.

I am not sure what's Kronos partition scheme is, but MSDOS partition table (legacy) has limitation of 4 primary only.

Anyway this is ridiculous how Kronos handles installation of new primary SSD drive.
And It's ignorant too, because Korg limits its own sales.
I have my Korg 2, and the drive is already full with my own material ( ~10% free space left ) Therefore I am not able to buy any libraries.
By the time the warranty expires ( 2.5 yrs into the future,to be able open Kronos ) I won't need any libraries at all, 'cos I will have my own.

If I were you I would install 128 Gb drive, perhaps there is a reason why is this limit enforced.

Oh, well, in fact, we are not so limited.
The Kronos motherboard carries two SATA ports. SATA 0 for the system SSD and SATA 1 for a second SSD.
Adding a second SSD is very simple. The good news is that you can install EXS sounds banks (Korg or third party) in this second SSD. For my part, I have installed a 250 go. So the original system SSD is 60go. I use the second SSD for installing sounds banks and I keep the first one for my own work (creating sounds, songs and whatsoever)

So you can do that very simply.

Now, the issue I've mentionned on this present post, concerned the full system installation on a new SSD. And that is not the same job !! I don't have to do this, but I'm interesting in that just for a best knowledge of my instrument.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:

Cloning SSD of Kronos system in a bigger SSD can be achieved only by sector by sector method , so the new SSD
will have the exact same size with original plus an allocated partition.
For cloning Kronos SSDs in Win10 I use Easus Todo Backup Server Edition.

For re-partitioning , I'm working always with Paragon Partition Manager Pro that can
handle for sure multi-partitioning Linux systems and has a very quick drag and resize interface.
The procedure for extending system SSD is the following :
- As first you extend the overall container (drag the peripheral box) up to the end of allocated space.
- Extend only the EXt3 partition "HD" up to last sector
- Click on Apply & Done

I suppose that AOMEI Partition Technician Edition that I've also installed can do the same but as first you
have to select the overall SSD box and then resize HD EXt3.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

Cloning SSD of Kronos system in a bigger SSD can be achieved only by sector by sector method , so the new SSD
will have the exact same size with original plus an allocated partition.
For cloning Kronos SSDs in Win10 I use Easus Todo Backup Server Edition.

For re-partitioning , I'm working always with Paragon Partition Manager Pro that can
handle for sure multi-partitioning Linux systems and has a very quick drag and resize interface.
The procedure for extending system SSD is the following :
- As first you extend the overall container (drag the peripheral box) up to the end of allocated space.
- Extend only the EXt3 partition "HD" up to last sector
- Click on Apply & Done

I suppose that AOMEI Partition Technician Edition that I've also installed can do the same but as first you
have to select the overall SSD box and then resize HD EXt3.

Thank you very much.
AOMEI is for cloning only. And I used EaseUS Partition Master. It seemed to work well but when installed in the Kronos, 54 gb only where recognized.

I will try with Paragon and will come back to tell you the result.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
54 gb only where recognized.

I've already explained why , and this is the right initial procedure for sector by sector cloning else cloning has failed !
Only docking stations will also extend last partition but not all of them are working properly on Linux multi partition !

AOMEI & Acronis are not suggested for cloning EXt Linux partitions ! I have found system errors in both that will reduce SSD operation.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Poseidon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
Oh, well, in fact, we are not so limited.

You're right here, but for some ( like me, when Kronos is still under warranty ) is limited. I have no intentions to give Kronos to services to upgrade SSD.
I might not wait 2.5 yrs. I will probably open it in a year time, and add 500GB ( or biggeR !) secondary drive ( I hope it will be accepted ).

Regardless I am still frustrated after reading your post.
It should not be so hard to replace a primary SSD, for those who open Kronos.
The operation should be swift and simple, accompanied DVDs should take care of it.

I don't store songs, or midi internally, my SSD is for samples only.

Please report your experiences and let us know.
I am following this post closely, because I am planning to follow your steps.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally cloning Kronos OS is not allowed officially as a property of Korg , for many reasons that you can guess ,
so your official option is always to use secondary SSD or as last to use DVDs installer for a new bigger boot SSD.
And concerning about your thoughts and answers about it , it's not legally the same procedure as cloning a computer
OS for safety since Kronos chipset and hardware is compatible with all Kronos and only ID differs if you see what I mean.

andym63

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the factory Ssd from the kronos and cloned it on to the Samsung using a Startech disc cloner.
That gave me a 1 TB drive with a 60 Gb partition.
I used Gparted on a Unetbootin distro runing of a pc via a usb stick to expand the partition to just under 1TB.
I also tried a 500 GB samsung 860 ssd.This also worked.
I used the 1TB because i had it i 250—500GB is proberbly more than enough it is nice to have plenty of space for backups and other stuff though.
I do wish there was a way of cloning the internal drive of the kronos withought having to unscrew everything or make holes in it.
For some reason You canot use the kronos start disks to format a drive over 60 GB if you try it just stops in the midle of the process,and it will not format and install the Os.
I keep the original 60 Gb Os ina safe place.

Andy
Purgatory

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the drive you are also cloning to has no partitions on it do a full reinitialisation on it so nothing on it like factory out of the box.

So no partitions on it.

Then make sure to clone as I stated with sector by sector copy ONLY. So it only creates the same partitions on the original SSD that came with the kronos.

Then Extend the partition I mentioned in my post above and it should work.

I did this with my kronos 2 88 and everything worked fine and showed the full 500gb was being used on the new drive.

After doing that put the original kronos drive away in a safe place do not format it and use in another device as you may need it in the future as the Kronos DVDs will not allow you to install on a new drive larger than 128GB from what I understand and is really the silly limits of these DVDS that is the problem.

Gparted worked for me with no problems and didn't show any errors you mentioned , the only reason it would show that error is you had a used drive with partitions on it and when you cloned you didn't do it sector by sector and didn't make sure to remove old partitions from the new drive you are cloning to.

Read what I said carefully above in my first post here. If you used clonezilla and Gparted.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help ! Very kind.

Purgatory wrote:
Make sure the drive you are also cloning to has no partitions on it do a full reinitialisation on it so nothing on it like factory out of the box.

So no partitions on it.

Then make sure to clone as I stated with sector by sector copy ONLY. So it only creates the same partitions on the original SSD that came with the kronos.

After doing that put the original kronos drive away in a safe place do not format it and use in another device as you may need it in the future as the Kronos DVDs will not allow you to install on a new drive larger than 128GB from what I understand and is really the silly limits of these DVDS that is the problem.

Gparted worked for me with no problems and didn't show any errors you mentioned , the only reason it would show that error is you had a used drive with partitions on it and when you cloned you didn't do it sector by sector and didn't make sure to remove old partitions from the new drive you are cloning to.

Read what I said carefully above in my first post here. If you used clonezilla and Gparted.

Thank you for all these advices.

I didn't do a sector by sector cloning.

AntonySharmman wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
54 gb only where recognized.

I've already explained why , and this is the right initial procedure for sector by sector cloning else cloning has failed !
Only docking stations will also extend last partition but not all of them are working properly on Linux multi partition !

AOMEI & Acronis are not suggested for cloning EXt Linux partitions ! I have found system errors in both that will reduce SSD operation.

So if I summarize, you do all operations inside W10 ?
Cloning with Easus Todo Backup Server Edition / Should I do a full format before ?
Partitioning with Paragon Partition Manager Pro

On another hand, do you have an advice about a good docking station ?

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: