Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quirks when using Ensemble feature

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Quirks when using Ensemble feature Reply with quote

Good Morning Smile

As many of you heave read in my previous posts, I have a PA700 (Serial # under 140) and have not upgraded to the latest OS (1.4?).

I have had a slight quirk when using the Ensemble feature. I play at nursing homes for a living and play the Big Band styles and other styles for music anywhere from the 1920's to the 1970's for the residents of these homes.

When have a set of sounds put together for each song, I use the STS settings to switch between different instruments within the same style, allowing me to 'medley' up to (and sometimes more) than 4 songs within the same style.

Here is an example for when I play 'It Had to be You':

STS1 - Folk Sax (sound 1), Flute (sound 2) and Sistro (sound three). In 'It Had to be You', I use the sax in the first verse, add the flute to the sax in the second verse, and then the Sistro to both other sounds on the last verse. I have the Ensemble setting to trigger on the sax part (not the flute or Sistro) only.
STS2 - Jazz Guitar (sound 1), Pad (sound 2). This STS is used for another song called 'By the Light of the Silvery Moon' within the same style - I simply adjust the tempo to be a bit faster and start playing the other song. The Ensemble is set to trigger on the Jazz Guitar

When I activate the Ensemble, in just about any style or STS, I notice that when I hit a chord and hit a lead note on the top at the same time (I have the split activated) I do not get the Ensemble chord block on the lead notes when I am pressing down the chord notes on the bottom of the keyboard. I have to press the Chord notes first and then a split second (or less) later, hit the lead notes above to hear the Block chords from the Ensemble. I usually hit the new chord before I have to play the lead note(s) above in order to hear the Ensemble feature working. It only happens when I first hit the Chord and lead notes at the same time. Once it registers, everything is fine. It does not continue if I hold down the Chord and start to play - only when it first happens. I suspect that the computer is registering the Chord I am playing to generate the Ensemble notes for the right hand.

I have had to adjust my playing to where I hit the chord right before I want the solo voices (right hand) to sound in an Ensemble setting.

To my knowledge, this happens on everything that I would use in an Ensemble in order to have seamless Ensemble sounds when playing the right hand.

I do not have the Ensemble activated throughout the entire song, usually at the more full parts of a song (as if the entire brass section is playing at the end of the song). If I play a Polka (which are big here in certain parts of Iowa), the same thing happens.

I know that the computer needs a bit of time to generate the chord structure for the Ensemble once I hit the chord, but I also used to use a Roland E-09 as my main arranger and NEVER had computational time issues by the computer in order to figure out the chord I was playing.

Do I have something set wrong? It is not a huge deal, because I have adjusted my playing technique to compensate for this, but it would be nice to have both the Ensemble notes playing at the same time as I hit the chords in the left hand.

I also used to have a Korg PA500 and noticed this to be a problem with it too. Maybe it is just the way Korg computes the note arrangement in the Ensemble feature.

I have had my PA700 since September 2017 and an quite well versed in its operation. I use the Songbook to trigger MP3 files and keyboard sets for my original material and also use the sequencer for live work. My particular issue is strictly when using the styles and the Ensemble feature.

It is not a deal-breaker for me as I LOVE the PA700. I just wondered if someone else had this issue too and maybe there is a setting I do not have set properly.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
jgorin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: AutoSplit 1 & 2 Reply with quote

Harry,

As a brand-new Pa700 User, I'm working on getting my head around all the really incredible features it has to offer. So, I'm working on designing a setup for a song and, in the manual, the Ensemble section states: "There are several types of Ensemble, but with MOST of them what you play with your right hand will be harmonized with . . your left hand." If I'm using a recorded style track and have split off, will Ensemble recognize chords?

Thanks for your help.
Korg Pa700, Yamaha P-105, Nektar Panorama P6, Reason 9.5, Remote SL61, Godin xtsa Koa electric, Roland GR55, Nova System, Fender Strat, Boss RC30, Fender Jazz 5-string, Peavy 4-string, BG250 bass amp, Bose Compacts (2), JBL EON18 sub, Yamaha Compass acoustic, Dobro, Lap Steel, Vox Pathfinder 15R.
jgorin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Doh! Reply with quote

So, let me guess - save it as a MIDI file and everything is good, right? Went back and watched the Korg Pa700 Video Series: Recording (again). I was thinking I had to save it as an MP3.
Korg Pa700, Yamaha P-105, Nektar Panorama P6, Reason 9.5, Remote SL61, Godin xtsa Koa electric, Roland GR55, Nova System, Fender Strat, Boss RC30, Fender Jazz 5-string, Peavy 4-string, BG250 bass amp, Bose Compacts (2), JBL EON18 sub, Yamaha Compass acoustic, Dobro, Lap Steel, Vox Pathfinder 15R.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoSplit 1 & 2 Reply with quote

jgorin wrote:
Harry,

As a brand-new Pa700 User, I'm working on getting my head around all the really incredible features it has to offer. So, I'm working on designing a setup for a song and, in the manual, the Ensemble section states: "There are several types of Ensemble, but with MOST of them what you play with your right hand will be harmonized with . . your left hand." If I'm using a recorded style track and have split off, will Ensemble recognize chords?

Thanks for your help.

I have never tried to use the Ensemble feature with the Split off. I can try to see if it works with the full keyboard activated. My initial answer would be 'no' because I think that depending on how you play the full keyboard, it may not recognize the correct chords to use. I KNOW it works when Split is activated, but I experience the issues in my original post.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Doh! Reply with quote

jgorin wrote:
So, let me guess - save it as a MIDI file and everything is good, right? Went back and watched the Korg Pa700 Video Series: Recording (again). I was thinking I had to save it as an MP3.

You can save any work you do on the PA700 as a MIDI file, except for if you are playing along with an MP3 to begin with. IF you are doing this, then you will need to record another MP3 so it combines the original MP3 with your overdubbed (live) parts. I do this at times and use the highest MP3 setting (320kbps). It works well.

If you want to create full sequences (using all 16 tracks available), then you need to go into the sequencer and record each track individually.

You can also record from a style to the sequencer and it will place the recorded material into their own single respective tracks. Hit the MP3 record button and select the option you want to use. If you hit the Shift button while pressing the MP3 Record button, that is how you record an MP3 audio song.

I would recommend browsing the forum here for the PA700 so that you can see what myself and others have posted about the different features (and quirks) of the unit. I have actually posted about the recording process in another topic Smile

Grace,
Harry
TedS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have "memory" activated? In other words, when you play a chord and then release all keys in the chord section (left of the split), is there a chord designation still visible in the display screen? Or does it say "N.C." or No Chord?

Your arranger needs a recognized chord to calculate which notes to add to your right-hand melody note. (I'm assuming that you're only playing ONE note with your right hand, because this is the intended use of Ensemble.) I'm not sure what would happen if you played more than one melody note, but it wouldn't be pretty!

So on to the root cause of your observations...
Korg arrangers "batch" their chord input, and this is usually a good thing. In the world of computer electronics, no two events occur at exactly the same time. Let's say you want to trigger a C-minor chord. You press C and Eb. But let's say you press the Eb about 0.02 seconds before the C. If the chord recognition were NOT "batched," you would begin to hear an Eb bass note, and then an ugly portamento slide to a C bass note and the intended C-minor chord. What your Korg actually does, is something like this... When the first key is pressed, it starts a countdown lasting several milliseconds. You can press or release additional keys while that countdown is running. But when the countdown reaches zero, the Korg will play a chord based on whatever notes are still pressed. All of this happens very quickly! Releasing one, or all keys after the chord is recognized will reset the clock or start the countdown again.

In theory, this "batching" limits the number of chord changes you can play in a given time frame, to perhaps something on the order of a sixteenth note. (Really, how many songs do you know that change chords sixteen times in a beat?) You're correct to observe that it's not as responsive as some other brands, and that you have to "lead" the beat (i.e., press the keys a fraction of a second early) to obtain accurate timing. But I think this is preferable to all of that squealing, portamento, and false chords fumbling around in the display window that you'll see on brands Y and R. The result certainly sounds more professional, and the MIDI score is much cleaner without those false notes!

If you want slightly more responsive chord recognition, you can activate Sync Stop. But this probably won't solve your original problem, namely that the first melody note after a chord change may not have the Ensemble additional notes added to it.

Hope you find this explanation helpful. If anyone else has done similar experiments that affirm or deny my understanding, I would love to hear from you!
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TedS wrote:
Do you have "memory" activated? In other words, when you play a chord and then release all keys in the chord section (left of the split), is there a chord designation still visible in the display screen? Or does it say "N.C." or No Chord?

Your arranger needs a recognized chord to calculate which notes to add to your right-hand melody note. (I'm assuming that you're only playing ONE note with your right hand, because this is the intended use of Ensemble.) I'm not sure what would happen if you played more than one melody note, but it wouldn't be pretty!

So on to the root cause of your observations...
Korg arrangers "batch" their chord input, and this is usually a good thing. In the world of computer electronics, no two events occur at exactly the same time. Let's say you want to trigger a C-minor chord. You press C and Eb. But let's say you press the Eb about 0.02 seconds before the C. If the chord recognition were NOT "batched," you would begin to hear an Eb bass note, and then an ugly portamento slide to a C bass note and the intended C-minor chord. What your Korg actually does, is something like this... When the first key is pressed, it starts a countdown lasting several milliseconds. You can press or release additional keys while that countdown is running. But when the countdown reaches zero, the Korg will play a chord based on whatever notes are still pressed. All of this happens very quickly! Releasing one, or all keys after the chord is recognized will reset the clock or start the countdown again.

In theory, this "batching" limits the number of chord changes you can play in a given time frame, to perhaps something on the order of a sixteenth note. (Really, how many songs do you know that change chords sixteen times in a beat?) You're correct to observe that it's not as responsive as some other brands, and that you have to "lead" the beat (i.e., press the keys a fraction of a second early) to obtain accurate timing. But I think this is preferable to all of that squealing, portamento, and false chords fumbling around in the display window that you'll see on brands Y and R. The result certainly sounds more professional, and the MIDI score is much cleaner without those false notes!

If you want slightly more responsive chord recognition, you can activate Sync Stop. But this probably won't solve your original problem, namely that the first melody note after a chord change may not have the Ensemble additional notes added to it.

Hope you find this explanation helpful. If anyone else has done similar experiments that affirm or deny my understanding, I would love to hear from you!

Thank you for your reply. I do have Memory activated. That is really the only way that the Ensemble would work anyway. I also have the Bass Inversion going on too - in the split screen. I have 'One Note Plus' as the Chord recognition method as well, but 99% of the time I am playing the actual full chord in the left hand (while Split is activated). I see the chords appear at the top of the screen, so I know I am doing that part right.

It is not a matter of hitting the wrong chord or hitting the chord notes incorrectly' I have been playing piano for well over 40 years and my right hand/left hand movements are pretty advanced. It is not a matter of doing it wrong; I suspect that it is just the way Korg develops the chord through its timing structure. Maybe I will play around with the Chord Recognition choices and see if that has any effect.

Additionally, the Ensemble works differently than the one on my old Roland E-09 in the fact that if you play multi-notes, it does not sound too bad. The Roland used more of a mono mode in its Ensemble (called Harmony) where if you played one note the Ensemble would activate and if you played another note as well (while the other note is still pressed down) the additional note(s) you pressed down would not have Ensemble on them. The Korg will add Ensemble to any note(s) you press down. When using a traditional Ensemble setting (not an octave Ensemble setting), it works fine.

I agree that it may be a timing issue and I have to preempt the next measure's chords when using the Ensemble. There are times when switching chords can be quite quick (like going from G Maj to C/G and then back to G Maj in rapid succession).

I thank you for your input; it serves to confirm my initial suspicions, and I am doing the correct thing to minimize it.

Grace,
Harry
TedS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, I never meant to imply that you were hitting the wrong notes, or that your timing was anything less than professional. Arrangers are musical computers running at millions of cycles per second. When you press keys in the chord recognition area, you're not "playing" notes. You're conveying note data to the arranger's logic engine, which converts it- based on a lookup table or decision rules- into a recognized chord.
No matter how good you are, I assure you that you're not pressing two or more notes at EXACTLY the same time. If you don't believe me, turn off the arranger and make a MIDI recording with no quantisation. Play some chords in rapid succession. You'll see that some notes comprising the same chord are recorded a few "ticks" apart. (There are 384 ticks to a beat.)
Brands R and Y do not batch their chord recognition, they have what I would call a 'hair trigger.' So when you attempt to trigger a minor or seventh (i.e., any chord needing at least two keys pressed), if you're not extremely careful to get the root down first, you'll hear two bass notes with a portamento slide between them. It's especially noticeable if the bass voice has a sharp attack. This glitching sounds 'arrangerish' rather than clean and professional. Korg's approach of "batching" is better, if slightly less responsive.

It could be that the E09 avoids applying harmony (ensemble) when multiple RH melody notes are played, because it only has 64 polyphony (vs 128 on the Korg.) You could run out of voices pretty quickly by adding 4 harmony notes to every note played!
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Quirks when using Ensemble feature Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
.. I have had a slight quirk when using the Ensemble feature...

I think that quirk will happen if setting more than one ""EnsembleTrackAssign" is set to "Normal" or "Mute".

Ensemble only is active inStyle-Modus.
Ensemble only is active in Split-Keyboard-Modus.
Ensemble only is active if ACC is on.
Ensemble only is triggered with Events played with "EnsembleTrackAssign" that is set to "Normal" or "Mute".
Musicwithharry wrote:
.. I do have Memory activated. That is really the only way that the Ensemble would work anyway....

I think with variations in case you want to interrupt/start again Ensemble voice can be done only when Memory is off.

Ensemble-Notes immediately change with changed Key of active EnsembleTrackAssigned if "Memory" is on.
Ensemble-Notes triggered with RightHand immediately sounds with Keys pressed LeftHand if "Memory" is "off" - and are interrupted in case RightHand or LeftHand is released.
That is because if LeftHand is released with "Memory" is set to "off" chord-recognition change to <no>, but Ensemble immediately sounds again with LeftHand keypress.

WITH MEMORY "OFF" if RightHand key(s) continously is pressed you can play Ensemble chords with LeftHand interrupted by releasing/pressing LeftHand keys - or your LeftHand key(s) is pressed continously you can play Ensemble chords with RightHand interrupted by releasing/pressing RightHand keys. Try also using Ensemble Voices only with EnsembleTrackAssign = Mute with Memory = off with changing alternately one side keys continously pressed while other side keys are used for playing interrupted Ensemble Voices.

I did not note an unresponsive chord recognition caused by "batched" chord input after keys are pressed - no matter in case Memory is off whether LH is triggering Ensemble Voices or using RH for sounding Ensemble voices in case EnsembleTrackAssign is "Mute".

Maybe quirks happens in case you set more than one of the Upper-Tracks (Upper1,2,3) to "EnsembleTrackAssign" to "Normal" or "Mute" - what is not only senseless for most ensemble types (open, closed, block ..), but also is responsible for delayed ensemble sounds - also does not matter if you play one or more notes with RH.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TedS wrote:
Harry, I never meant to imply that you were hitting the wrong notes, or that your timing was anything less than professional. Arrangers are musical computers running at millions of cycles per second. When you press keys in the chord recognition area, you're not "playing" notes. You're conveying note data to the arranger's logic engine, which converts it- based on a lookup table or decision rules- into a recognized chord.
No matter how good you are, I assure you that you're not pressing two or more notes at EXACTLY the same time. If you don't believe me, turn off the arranger and make a MIDI recording with no quantisation. Play some chords in rapid succession. You'll see that some notes comprising the same chord are recorded a few "ticks" apart. (There are 384 ticks to a beat.)
Brands R and Y do not batch their chord recognition, they have what I would call a 'hair trigger.' So when you attempt to trigger a minor or seventh (i.e., any chord needing at least two keys pressed), if you're not extremely careful to get the root down first, you'll hear two bass notes with a portamento slide between them. It's especially noticeable if the bass voice has a sharp attack. This glitching sounds 'arrangerish' rather than clean and professional. Korg's approach of "batching" is better, if slightly less responsive.

It could be that the E09 avoids applying harmony (ensemble) when multiple RH melody notes are played, because it only has 64 polyphony (vs 128 on the Korg.) You could run out of voices pretty quickly by adding 4 harmony notes to every note played!

Thank you for your input - I am certainly not above making mistakes and playing wrong notes - I do it all the time. It may be entirely possible that when playing larger chords, I am not hitting all of the notes at the exact same time and maybe the PA700 is waiting for full input of those chords before deciding which chord I am actually playing.

I will say that this problem happens even when I hit a single note in the left hand to make a chord (like a C/F/G, etc...) and it usually comes out as a major chord - which is fine most of the time...

I generally only have one of the sounds in the right hand being activated by Ensemble. Having a section of sax sounds in Ensemble is fine, but having a section of chorded flutes is not, so I limit the Ensemble to only one of the three sounds in the right hand. I could see this being an issue if I were trying to Ensemble all three sounds in the right hand, as the CPU would need extra time in processing chord structure for three sounds instead of just one. This is not what I am doing,

I thank you for your input, sir Smile

Grace,
Harry
TedS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It may be entirely possible that when playing larger chords, I am not hitting all of the notes at the exact same time and maybe the PA700 is waiting for full input of those chords before deciding which chord I am actually playing.

Yes, that's what I've been trying to say. The on-board microprocessor is capable of sensing millions of inputs per second. So it's impossible for you or anyone else to hit all the notes at the EXACT same time. In fact, in my own experiments, I found it challenging to press all of the notes making up a chord within 0.02 seconds on a consistent basis. So as you've observed, the Korg waits a fraction of a second before computing the chord.

The implication of this "batching" strategy, is that even when you play single note major chords, the PA700 still waits for a fraction of a second for more keys to be pressed (because it has no way of knowing whether more notes are coming!) The nature of the beast. More forgiving, and better in many ways than the approach taken by other brands.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TedS wrote:
Quote:
It may be entirely possible that when playing larger chords, I am not hitting all of the notes at the exact same time and maybe the PA700 is waiting for full input of those chords before deciding which chord I am actually playing.

Yes, that's what I've been trying to say. The on-board microprocessor is capable of sensing millions of inputs per second. So it's impossible for you or anyone else to hit all the notes at the EXACT same time. In fact, in my own experiments, I found it challenging to press all of the notes making up a chord within 0.02 seconds on a consistent basis. So as you've observed, the Korg waits a fraction of a second before computing the chord.

The implication of this "batching" strategy, is that even when you play single note major chords, the PA700 still waits for a fraction of a second for more keys to be pressed (because it has no way of knowing whether more notes are coming!) The nature of the beast. More forgiving, and better in many ways than the approach taken by other brands.

While I might normally agree with this, as I know that the Ensemble engine needs a bit of time to figure out the notes to generate based on the chords, this also happens when I am using the Single Finger option for the Ensemble chord detection too.

I tested this today before a performance with all of the Chord Detection methods available. I also watched my left hand when making chords and tried to make sure that everything was right on the beat like it should be. While I was successful somewhat, I found myself going back to my preempting method of playing the chord with the left hand before hitting the note with my right hand Smile

Like I said before, it is not mission critical that this has to be perfect because I have workaround in place. I just wanted to mention it as a quirk in the system. I am happy with everything about my PA700, and have forgiven some of the quirks. The Ensemble quirk is one that is more noticeable than any (which there are not many) other...

Grace,
Harry
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
just wanted to mention it as a quirk in the system.

Agree - unfortunately this "quirk" is also present on the PA1X, PA2X, PA3X and PA4X and probably all the other models.
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Quote:
just wanted to mention it as a quirk in the system.

Agree - unfortunately this "quirk" is also present on the PA1X, PA2X, PA3X and PA4X and probably all the other models.

I agree and it seems like it is just the way Korg detects the chords to be used in the Ensemble feature.

I used to have a PA500 and noticed it then too. I have a friend who has the Havian 30 and I may query her to jam on hers for a few minutes and see if it registers there as well. I suspect that it will.

I just wanted to double check and see if there was something I did wrong, but it appears as though it is a recurring 'quirk'.

Thank you all for your input Smile

Grace,
Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: