Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ponclair

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Newbie question Reply with quote

I am recently retired and looking to resurrect an interest in music. I have a 21 year old Technics SX-PR900 that still works perfectly but I’m looking to upgrade to more modern tech. I’m blown away with what whats available today and the Kronos stands out are the workstation to get. My question is that despite its capabilities, it has been around a long time and looks likely to be replaced in the next couple of years (according to some).
I have no compelling reason to part with my money apart from a desire to get with newer kit so my question is:
Should I buy now, or wait until Korg replace the Kronos with the next generation?
Thanks for any advice
Don
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer is "no wait".

Here's my copy/paste from a similar question:

===========================================
this question has repeated about +100 times over the past 3 years.

Take a look at the new products that Korg has offered the past 3 years.

I watch Korg and their priorities, as best I can. Plus other similar manufactures.

Thus, my answer to you is No.

However, Kronos is still a quality board and continues to provide satisfaction to owners. IOW, enjoy what we have.

Instead of wishing for something that won't happen.
=========================================

If you been hanging around this forum, my answer has been consistent for some months.

First of all, I stick to the historical definition of a " All in 1 Keyboard Workstation"

Thats the classic definition. A product that Korg has specialized in for decades.

However, I think that golden era concept/approach is almost done for " New Product". I believe only Kurzweil is cranking out slightly new iterations- but not ground breaking " All in 1 Keyboard Workstations".

You are retired, like me. Now the purchase becomes a personal choice.

I am totally in favor of quality of life. And music production is always going to be a #1 priority. IOW, I am a serious long term keyboardist.

Unfortunately, Korg is not likely to reduce the Kronos new price. However you could ' hedge' the cost on a used Kronos. But buyer beware on used. Its quite easy for a problem Kronos to be in the used category.

By the way, ' shiny new thing ' is not always " better". You have been around, but this is a fair statement.

Its a long term decision. Happy 8 year owner here.

You could ' hedge ' until NAMM 2020 in January. But many have done that over the past 3 yrs with nothing tangibly new.

And its going to take you about 1 year to get comfortable with Kronos features.
Its a growing developing learning curve for everyone.

Hope this helps your evaluation.

Last edited by GregC on Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
jesmanuel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Kronos Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new with the Kronos (SE model) but I'm in the music for almost 20 years. My ten cents, Korg have the reputation of long lasting instruments. You can hear people using the Triton, Trinity, etc. and they work perfect. In this decision only you have answer because you can wait for the new one (no rumors or release date yet) or just move to buy it. I had the same issue but few days ago I accepted my decision (purchased the Kronos SE). The Kronos is a powerful machine and the learning curve is long. Believe me, is a complex instrument with a lot of parameters (thousands of them) so if you want something to just plug and play them Kronos is like kill a bird with a tank Very Happy. But in the other hand, if you want a music machine to learn and create sounds them the Kronos is perfect. Just buy a UPS battery because is sensitive to voltage changes.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Reply with quote

jesmanuel wrote:
But in the other hand, if you want a music machine to learn and create sounds them the Kronos is perfect. Just buy a UPS battery because is sensitive to voltage changes.

I don't have a UPS in my home studio. I am in the US where voltage and power has been consistent for family homes for several decades.

So , bottom line, there are other factors and details to consider.

Now if I gigged my Kronos, sure thing , I would have a UPS. Dive bars are not the most reliable with consistent power.

IOW, it depends.
jesmanuel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Reply with quote

I don't have a UPS in my home studio. I am in the US where voltage and power has been consistent for family homes for several decades.

I lived in New York City for 5 years and the power was not consistent. I cant give a 100% accurate statement like you. Bottom line: UPS for prevention.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially if you are coming from 20 year old technology, do not wait.

The real question is if Kronos is what you need or would you get all you need from another workstation, perhaps less equipped than Kronos.

I jumped from Triton Extreme to Kronos with a 3-4 year empty period in between. Luckily Kronos only evolved to Kronos 2 during the 3-4 year period i went without a rig.
The Triton Extreme to Kronos gap, is about as big a gap as i could handle without getting too stumped by Kronos. Maybe M3 would have been an easier jump but i made it through ok from Triton extreme, and Kronos easily blew my mind without mind warping frustration in trying to catch up.

Also fair warning is that Kronos rhythm section is out of this world compared to Technics advanced digital Pianos. But the old fashioned drum pattern suite with neatly lined up options for fills and endings to each pattern, is not what you will find on kronos.
Kronos does not have fills and ending all lined up for you to move to, but it has worlds of flexibility such as you possibly being able to bring your favorite patterns from your Technics, into kronos.
Yes, if your Technics has MIDI capabilities you can mate kronos and technics so that you can have the best of Technics patterns in Kronos for Kronos to work for you.

One thing i miss about getting rid of Triton before getting kronos, was my chance to bring my favorite patterns and synth settings over from triton into kronos, even if i had to manually program in each parameter setting.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
E

Also fair warning is that Kronos rhythm section is out of this world compared to Technics advanced digital Pianos. But the old fashioned drum pattern suite with neatly lined up options for fills and endings to each pattern, is not what you will find on kronos.
Kronos does not have fills and ending all lined up for you to move to, but it has worlds of flexibility such as you possibly being able to bring your favorite patterns from your Technics, into kronos.

Big fan of Kronos drums and using Karma for variation.

Its true that Kronos does not have a bunch of drum rolls and intro/outros.

There are a few 8 bar/16 bar drum patterns that have a tasty roll on the last bar. That gets me by, assuming it fits the song.

FWIW, I don't see Kronos as an arranger alternative. I prefer a broader palette to work with than fixed rhythms etc.
Ponclair

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your swift replies. Looks like I’ll be investing soon then. Look out for lots of posts asking newbie questions!
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with all said before.

I any case, all that we buy will be replaced, sooner or later, by something else (or will disappear) !

But, concerning the Kronos, as it is, you will have for years of discovery. For sure, trust us !!

We absolutely don't know if Korg will offer a Kronos subsittute ? Perhaps, the Kronos will be the last hard workstation, who knows ?

So, if you like its specifications and you like spending many times for discovery, you won't be disapointed.
Jakker27

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's worth waiting. I've an original one and the differences are pretty small.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: