Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will we ever see a new Korg Workstation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
There's also the MPC X. You can make a complete track on it, and it can be a studio master. That's pretty workstation-y in my book.

I suppose.

I don't see 'keys ' or a keyboard

IOW, " All in 1 Keyboard Workstation". With all the significant controls, etc.
Thats the way it used to be back in the days of covered wagons. When acoustic piano was a cool thing to play.

Sometimes I overlook that some are not interested in the keyboard part of a w/s. I realize the MPC has midi.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_SamDoogie wrote:
Yamaha montage and modx are "Performance synth" not workstations.

Yep..

Actually Yamaha calls their Genos aworkstation..
Which made me realize.. there is no strict definition of a workstation..
Also “performance synth” is pretty much an undefined something
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Mr_SamDoogie wrote:
Yamaha montage and modx are "Performance synth" not workstations.

Yep..

Actually Yamaha calls their Genos aworkstation..
Which made me realize.. there is no strict definition of a workstation..
Also “performance synth” is pretty much an undefined something

I concur the same which leaves me a bit in doubt and have to add that technically analog keyboard are also performance synths. The focus of the keyboards is just a tone or patch and some form of modulation , arpeggio with or without delay , chorus , reverb and so on built in.

Everything else is just an addition for such keyboards but it just really doesn't answer it at all. Casio called the xw-g1 a performance synth so if you remove the bells and whistles like step sequencing , sampling , drums , pcm its just a monophonic synth.

With the montage I see an extensive synth with extended modulation and an arsenal of sound manipulation available and scene to choose from everything else is an addition drums , multi's and more DSP to chose from.

So basically my view a performance synth you can focus on some crazy way of building a sound but you got an arsenal of modulation and DSP ,
Scene to select different builds. But you also get these addition to patch it even further routing , midi , extra inputs outputs that kinda stuff.

a bit long threaded to say its just about that one sound build for a performance you know.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, can mean anything
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Yep, can mean anything

The title of this post was " Korg Workstation "

Thus my thoughts followed that lineage of features.

Like context.

I have noticed these co's playing loose with terms.
I like history and terms, etc.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
When acoustic piano was a cool thing to play.

If you don't think playing acoustic piano is cool, then you probably don't call yourself a musician.

..Joe
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

//

Last edited by GregC on Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Joe Gerardi wrote:
GregC wrote:
When acoustic piano was a cool thing to play.

If you don't think playing acoustic piano is cool, then you probably don't call yourself a musician.

..Joe

Joe. Acoustic piano is a great instrument to play,

For me and many.

But there are folks that are not as interested in Acoustic piano. Thats their choice.

Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Bachus wrote:
Yep, can mean anything

The title of this post was " Korg Workstation "

Thus my thoughts followed that lineage of features.

Like context.

I have noticed these co's playing loose with terms.
I like history and terms, etc.

To stay on the subject as you say Korg workstation are the only one on the market whom are capable and to quote someone whom put the meaning from exactly on youtube.

"
Eduardo Mariano

My opinion: unboxing & playing a Kronos is very dull... The real magic comes after a couple of months creating and developing 1 gigantic and complex combi! <3

Oh how glorious it is to be able to play in a Pink Floyd Tribute band using 1 single Keyboard and still being extremely loyal to the original!! "

I believe its practically a mindset to feel this out on a keyboard to sit behind it. Love my microstation but it isn't a full fledged Korg Kronos workstation.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually we will see a return to a flagship Korg workstation.

There's a growing shift away from the DAW for recording and production. Things like the Oktatrack and digitakt are going gangbusters. So I wonder if we might see a workstation in a new form factor... light, portable, self contained.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:

There's a growing shift away from the DAW for recording and production. Things like the Oktatrack and digitakt are going gangbusters. So I wonder if we might see a workstation in a new form factor... light, portable, self contained.

Yeah, but when?
The content updates of the new KRONOS and KROME and the 3.0 update for the PA4X are not good signs with regards to the arrival of something new from KORG in this area some time soon.

There IS a rising trend of moving OUT of the computer environment into a musically more inspiring environment when it comes to making music, complete with standalone sequencers.
I remember a SonicState interview with Dave Smith where he commented on the difference between the computer workstations vs. using large samples as sound content for a musical instrument (in this case the Prophet XL) in terms of musical interaction and how this is experienced by the user.
Perhaps needless to say, I fully agree.

But who knows, if KORG/Yamaha/Roland no longer have faith in a high end music workstation maybe Behringer with take up the gauntlet to come up with a next generation workstation.
Because whether you like Behringer or not, his company is growing into a very large synth manufacturer, and he has a lot of facilities at his disposal to make it happen.
Furthermore, he is very open about his plans and responsive to requests, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Edit
: this is the video I referred to.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one would be very interested to see Behringer's take on the workstation, especially if it can incorporate a performance sequencer and sampling functions as well as MIDI and - dare I hope? - OSC master capabilities.
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Behringer did take on creating a hybrid Pro Workstation that allowed inclusion of vst's similar to Native Instruments and Omnisphere then good bye to the following four workstation manufacturers:
Guitar Tuner Korg,
Mini Key Roland,
Yamahahaha,
and
1990s Kurzweil.

Four primitive companies stuck in the past that deserve a real wake up call to let them know it's the year 2020...not 1920

Vas
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that the big deal here is VST availability. Some people keep clamouring for it, but many musicians I know don't want it, and wouldn't pay for it. They want specific functions, such as distortion effects, convolutions and so on, but the magic letters VST have no bearing on that.

I think that the manufacturer's answer has largely been (so far): if you want VSTs, put some USB controllers on your computer. If you want a standalone device that does VSTs, you basically end up with an integrated system like the Open Labs Neko. If you look at what Akai Professional did with the MPC Live and X, they run a constrained list of onboard effects, but have no problem dealing with heavy effects that are run by a computer, when in controller mode.

The real thing keeping Behringer out of the workstation market at this point may be the power and price of Casio's MZX series. Tough to beat that price point.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:

these seem to be price point machines-with limits
8 midi 8 audio tracks, for example.

Not much to get excited about IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: