Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rain on my Kronos ! How to dry out.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aellison62

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Rain on my Kronos ! How to dry out. Reply with quote

Some rain fell on my Kronos at a gig yesterday and now all programs and combis act as though joystick -Y is constantly on. I switched off the modulation on all my most used combis and programs but would like to fix this. Has anyone tried to “dry out” their Kronos or experienced something like this before?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally open the unit a couple of days and also use a hair dryer at moderate temp several times to try to get rid of any water remaining inside. At least do not power it on for some days - water shorts out things and could damage your unit.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said some rain. If the chassis was rained in slightly for 10 minutes moisture will seep into the buttons, sliders, etc etc.

Its a judgement call on your part- but moisture and power components is a bad duo.

If this is the case, I would bring it immediately to Korg service, for a thorough inspection.

Until then, drop the bottom cover and get a flashlight to see whats going on. Unplugged, of course
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Keyboard Corner forums, there is a long running thread called "Gig from Hell." One of the posters there suffered a storm during one of their 3 day shows, and his Kronos got drenched. Before turning any of his gear on, he dried everything out, everything worked fine.

I'd suggest not turning your Kronos on again (or connecting it electrically) until you've thoroughly dried it out. Hair dryers, towels, or just letting it stay exposed in an air conditioned environment to evaporate all moisture from it.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gig from hell was a punter in a very small venue (little stage separation) spilling beer over my keyboards half way through the second set - just about made it to the end.

As mentioned above, opening the unit up and applying gentle heat from something like.a hair dryer is the best approach - you just need to drive the moisture out. I would not bother with a service centre unless you have no confidence in opening a unit up and getting it back together again. If nothing else happened at the gig it is 99% likely to be residual moisture.

I hate outdoor gigs. Especially in the UK..... In my early days with one keyboard it would have been easy enough to get one indoors quickly. With my current rig, no chance, and I’d never do an outdoor gig again!

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
qqquartzzz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outdoor show = always have a tarp handy quick.
I'm so paranoid and I can't rely on other people to have the best interest of my gear on their mind.
I got rained on real bad during an outdoor show in the 80's. One of my synth's was a Roland Jupiter 6. As soon as the downpour started, I killed the power to everything. But everything still got drenched. Inside and out.
Stage tech said the same thing. Open it up. Let it dry out completely. And it should be fine.
He was right. Yay!

Edit - And don't forget bungee cords or rope to help hold it down!

Last edited by qqquartzzz on Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always pack Kronos with a cheap shower curtain in the case.
And also use it as a dust cover whenever Kronos is set up at home or anywhere.
Water proof and dust proof.

Opening up kronos is a good idea, because as you dry it out using any kind of heat that helps a lot, the evaporation can travel around inside and later condense onto/into other parts.
When it is open and with a bit of a fan breeze over it, any evaporation wafts away and out, rather than into other areas inside kronos.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that’s one thing I don’t have in my emergency gig box - a shower curtain! If ever I need to do an outdoor gig again. I’ll add that, or a tarpaulin!

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rain on my Kronos ! How to dry out. Reply with quote

aellison62 wrote:
Some rain fell on my Kronos at a gig yesterday and now all programs and combis act as though joystick -Y is constantly on. I switched off the modulation on all my most used combis and programs but would like to fix this. Has anyone tried to “dry out” their Kronos or experienced something like this before?

Which joystick? Pitchbend/mod or the vector?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
Now that’s one thing I don’t have in my emergency gig box - a shower curtain! If ever I need to do an outdoor gig again. I’ll add that, or a tarpaulin!

If I had to gig, I would need 2 road managers.

In the event of rainy gigs, they could hover around my Kronos with 2 large
umbrellas.

Funny, how keyboard players don't hire road managers. Hmmmm Wink
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these for quick cover in bad weather. Under $4 at walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Husky-Plastic-Drop-Cloth-9-x-12/19512223

Back in the late 1980's, I was playing 2 gigs at the same location in Albany, NY for New Year's Eve. Did the early gig and left the location for several hours until my next gig. They had about a foot of snow cover, but it was getting warmer and it started rain. When I returned to the venue, I was told that the facility had a roof leak - right over my keyboard rig. At the time I was using an Ensoniq EPS and a Digital Piano on a 2 tier stand. All the water went right on and in the EPS.

We moved the DP off the stand and went to work on the EPS. First thing we did was remove one of the rubber feet under the chassis. When we took out the screw, the water poured out like a spigot! Fortunately, the EPS had a front panel that opened up. The maintenance guy got a hair dryer and using a low temp setting went to work drying off the circuit boards. This is REALLY important, because if you let the water evaporate, minerals left behind from the water could short circuit the boards.

The venue had an acoustic piano, so I did an unplugged concert. The next morning, before hitting the road for home, I plugged in the EPS and it worked fine. I toured with it and used it in my studio for several years before upgrading to a Korg 01/W pro. In fact, I still have it but it needs a new floppy drive. Or perhaps just the rubber band that turns the spindle, haven't opened it up to check.

Outdoors, I always play under a canopy. I take my own with me. 2 weeks ago I had an outdoor gig and didn't think to take the canopy with me. I was kicking myself, but at least the weather was good. Even at that, we were under trees and there's always the possibility of falling sap. Thankfully, that didn't happen either.
aellison62

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the pitch bend/mod joystick, not the vector.

Great advice and tips from all, thanks. Yes, I went out and bought a plastic tarp which will now stay with the Kronos in the case.

I will open the unit up this week and dry with hair dryer. Luckily I have no gig this coming weekend.
aellison62

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I opened the Kronos, unseated the joystick assembly and did not notice ANY moisture. Put it back together and still have the same problem. I can’t be sure the rain caused it. What is weird is that once I move the joystick down (-Y) the program or combi behaves fine. I can even engage the -Y modulation again and it works fine. But as soon as I move away from that program and come back to it, the -Y state is engaged again. On ALL programs and combis.

What the heck could be causing this if not moisture?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem could be downstream of the joystick, rather than the joystick itself. It might be instructive to look at the MIDI messages generated by the Kronos when the joystick is moved, to see if there are any dead spots, non-linearities, or odd behaviour. Use something like MIDI-Ox to see the messages. There should be no joystick messages if the joystick is not moving.

aellison62

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, "there should be no joystick messages if joystick is not moving"

THIS is what I need to see. My Kurzweil had a great diagnostic mode the user could access to see if any faders, knobs were sending data while not being used. This then pointed out the problem hardware.

Does Kronos have this type of diagnostic mode or do I need MIDI-Ox ??'

What IS MIDI-Ox ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: