Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions on monitor/sub combination sought...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wdxash

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:43 am    Post subject: Opinions on monitor/sub combination sought... Reply with quote

I’ll apologise to begin with for starting another monitor thread, but I have searched for what I’m looking for to no avail.

I’ve just bought a Kronos 2 - 88 and now need monitors, so would be extremely grateful for your opinion on monitor and sub combinations. Firstly, I’d like to say that they are not for producing but just for playing the Kronos through, for my own pleasure. They’ll be in a dedicated room in my house (luckily detached, so volume not an issue), the room isn’t particularly large but I’ll probably be relocating into a bigger room in the future so want to make sure monitor / sub sizes are appropriate.

So far, I’m thinking...
1. Adam Audio A7x’s and a Sub10 Mk II
2. Genelec 8030 and a 7050 (poss dsp versions)
3. Genelec 8040 and a 7060 (poss dsp versions)
Or... will some other combo give me realistic piano sounds and amazing synth dynamics for less money, like KRK V6’s and their equivalent 10” sub?

I’ve visited a few music showrooms and listened to monitors in the usual demo rooms but unfortunately it seems difficult to be able to do the same with the respective subs running as well?

I’ll be very grateful for any opinions, advise, or suggestions on this before I take the plunge.

I’ll spend the money if I have to but don’t want to if I don’t need to, if you know what I mean.

Many thanks in advance.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent home hi-fi can give good results. Plug Kronos output into the CD or Aux input.
aellison62

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run my keyboards at home thru the exact KRK system you described. I have no complaints. Could it sound better if I spent more money? Probably. Do I need it to?,...nope
Wdxash

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Voip, I did think about using home hi-fi but my current system is properly set up an another room and a bit too special to use, although buying another amp and speakers for the Kronos hasn’t been dismissed at this stage.

Aellison62, going the studio monitor route is the other option, and the one I’ve been spending most time researching... What you have said is exactly what I have been considering - is the extra cost for high end monitors going to be worth the outlay, will I notice, is it necessary??? As I’m not going to be producing music for reproduction (he says) I have no requirement to obtain a super flat sound. As long as whatever system I end up with, the sound I get is pleasing (to me) and able to reproduce and deliver the dynamics of a Kronos I’ll be happy. Knowing your KRK system works for you is useful to know, so thanks for letting me know. I know it can be subjective but it’s quite hard to audition everything in-store and sometimes it comes down to trusting other people’s opinions to help guide decisions.

Many thanks
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been mulling over whether to give you a reply on this too, as I thought I might be jeered out of the room!

Even though I have my good Adam monitors, just for sheer playing pleasure I really enjoy my set of iLoud micromonitors though a KRK 8S sub.

The stereo image is excellent with the iLoud's dome tweeters, (the Adam's ribbon tweeters are incredible, but the stereo sweet spot isn't as good as the dome tweeters).

Because they are small I have them positioned back behind the Kronos, to play pianos and orchestral, and being so small they aren't affected by room acoustics so much, meaning I can move them from place to place and still get the same sound.
Feeding the micromonitors as satellites from the sub, and it's crossover filtering the lowest bass from to the iLouds, mean I can get an amazing amount of volume out of the sound field.

The whole sound system is relative cheap in cost, but it sure is pleasant to use!
Devnor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded my Adam A7 monitors to Genelec 8351. If you thought the Kronos sounded good, you should hear thru these. With my room the way it is, there is only so much I could do with treatment. The SAM software took it the rest of the way. My mixes translate better, everything sounds better Kemper and all my keyboards. It's a real pleasure to use these on a daily basis. 8330SAM is a great system.
Wdxash

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeltaJockey wrote:
I've been mulling over whether to give you a reply on this too, as I thought I might be jeered out of the room!

Even though I have my good Adam monitors, just for sheer playing pleasure I really enjoy my set of iLoud micromonitors though a KRK 8S sub.

The stereo image is excellent with the iLoud's dome tweeters, (the Adam's ribbon tweeters are incredible, but the stereo sweet spot isn't as good as the dome tweeters).

Because they are small I have them positioned back behind the Kronos, to play pianos and orchestral, and being so small they aren't affected by room acoustics so much, meaning I can move them from place to place and still get the same sound.
Feeding the micromonitors as satellites from the sub, and it's crossover filtering the lowest bass from to the iLouds, mean I can get an amazing amount of volume out of the sound field.

The whole sound system is relative cheap in cost, but it sure is pleasant to use!

DeltaJockey, your reply is appreciated and very useful.

This is all a new learning curve for me and hence me not rushing into splashing out on the first monitors I find. I knew zero about studio monitors a few weeks ago but since committing to getting myself a Kronos I’ve been researching the monitor market until I’ve now almost ripping my hair out!

At the moment I’m playing through DT 990 headphones and the sound is tremendous. Yesterday I made the mistake (curiosity, I call it) of plugging the Kronos into my valve driven guitar combo - it sounded horrendous!!! I then started imagining that it’d sound the same through monitors... no surely not? I realise it’s horses for courses and the studio monitor will be a different story all together. As it happens, the suggestion in your reply is something I’d already been mulling over, albeit in the guise of a pair of 8030 satellites and a 7350 sub - which is probably my favourite option at this time.
Wdxash

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devnor wrote:
I upgraded my Adam A7 monitors to Genelec 8351. If you thought the Kronos sounded good, you should hear thru these. With my room the way it is, there is only so much I could do with treatment. The SAM software took it the rest of the way. My mixes translate better, everything sounds better Kemper and all my keyboards. It's a real pleasure to use these on a daily basis. 8330SAM is a great system.

Devnor, your reply made me sigh! I’ve done a lot of research and not come across many who have upgraded from the Adam A7’s - I’ve found quite a few who have upgraded to them! I imagine that the Kronos sounds incredible through the 8351’s, but they are a serious amount of money though and more than I want to spend considering that I’m only playing for my own pleasure. I won’t be producing, so don’t need monitors to examine mixes. I’ll look into the 8330SAM and sub combination though.

Thanks for the replies, they are much appreciated.
Purgatory

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wdxash wrote:
Devnor wrote:

Devnor, your reply made me sigh! I’ve done a lot of research and not come across many who have upgraded from the Adam A7’s - I’ve found quite a few who have upgraded to them! I imagine that the Kronos sounds incredible through the 8351’s, but they are a serious amount of money though and more than I want to spend considering that I’m only playing for my own pleasure. I won’t be producing, so don’t need monitors to examine mixes. I’ll look into the 8330SAM and sub combination though.

Adam A7's are a very old model that is discontinued , the new models are A7X and are in a different league and if you go read reviews you will see they are award winning for many years in a row and still classed as the best value 7" studio monitors.

I went from Focal Twin 6be to Adams A77X. The Focals amp on one of them died in a week and then were sent off for repair and smashed during transit and I asked for a refund and went with the Adams A77X as the Focal warranty was utter rubbish 2 years and I got a new pair they wanted to replace my new faulty one with a refurb used one.. I said no thanks and got the Adams.

The Adams are better value and have a 5 year warranty too, not 2 years like Focal and then they want to send you used good for new.

My current setup is A pair of ADAM Audio A77X and a PreSonus Temblor T10 Subwoofer.

In your case I would get the Adam A7X and the PreSonus Temblor T10 Subwoofer. Best value for money and best sound, the Focals were nice when they worked but not worth the price difference and the headaches of warranty.
Wdxash

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purgatory wrote:
Wdxash wrote:
Devnor wrote:

Adam A7's are a very old model that is discontinued , the new models are A7X and are in a different league and if you go read reviews you will see they are award winning for many years in a row and still classed as the best value 7" studio monitors.

I went from Focal Twin 6be to Adams A77X. The Focals amp on one of them died in a week and then were sent off for repair and smashed during transit and I asked for a refund and went with the Adams A77X as the Focal warranty was utter rubbish 2 years and I got a new pair they wanted to replace my new faulty one with a refurb used one.. I said no thanks and got the Adams.

The Adams are better value and have a 5 year warranty too, not 2 years like Focal and then they want to send you used good for new.

My current setup is A pair of ADAM Audio A77X and a PreSonus Temblor T10 Subwoofer.

In your case I would get the Adam A7X and the PreSonus Temblor T10 Subwoofer. Best value for money and best sound, the Focals were nice when they worked but not worth the price difference and the headaches of warranty.

Spooky... the combination you have suggested is one I actually wondered about! I like what I've read about the Presonus sub but wanted to keep to one brand, although I'm not so sure it really matters too much when it comes to te sub end. The Presonus is now on my list I'll try to find a bit more to read on it before I place any orders. I'm wondering if the Adam Sub8 would be any good - I've read good things about it!

It's easy to find proper opinions on monitors but not subs, as it seems that most people want to show you a sound test on youtube by blasting the sub, which isn't much use when your're not in the same room? I'd actually rather listen to intelligent summaries or opinions on how well they integrate with their respective monitors. I supose I'm in a minority really, as most want monitors for mixing and not for playing keyboards through.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, I'll definitley be looking more at the Presonus, whilst still wondering about the Sub8...?

Cheers
Wdxash

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purgatory wrote:
Wdxash wrote:
Devnor wrote:

Spooky... the combination you have suggested is one I actually wondered about! I like what I've read about the Presonus sub but wanted to keep to one brand, although I'm not so sure it really matters too much when it comes to te sub end. The Presonus is now on my list I'll try to find a bit more to read on it before I place any orders. I'm wondering if the Adam Sub8 would be any good - I've read good things about it!

It's easy to find proper opinions on monitors but not subs, as it seems that most people want to show you a sound test on youtube by blasting the sub, which isn't much use when your're not in the same room? I'd actually rather listen to intelligent summaries or opinions on how well they integrate with their respective monitors. I supose I'm in a minority really, as most want monitors for mixing and not for playing keyboards through.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, I'll definitley be looking more at the Presonus, whilst still wondering about the Sub8...?

Cheers
Purgatory

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Adam sub8 is not worth £450+, The T10 is £290ish now I paid £350 for it and thought it was great value and matches very nicely with the Adam A77X and the Focal Twin 6be before it. I actually purchased it to go with the Focals originally.

Now it looks like the perfect match with the Adams and I like the ability to tune it how I want it has a lot of controls and a foot switch to turn off the sub and let the mains have full range again so you can compare with the sub on and off and honestly it sounds great for the money and i'm very picky when it comes to sound gear. I was shocked how good it was for the money when I got it and like the fact it is front ported and has a metal grill to protect the sub, the Adams have no grill and basically one wrong foot or a pet or a child will put an end to it quickly. Subs need a grill or it ends bad, this is why i'm shocked a lot don't come with them, the mains is one thing but the sub sits on the floor, where you vac and can accidentally damage it or a accidental foot.

What you will find with the T10 is you will have it turned to very low as it is a very powerful sub and has great warranty too.

You will love the Adams A7X and the T10.

I don't work in the music industry I just play at home as a hobby and love the sound and is overkill really for what I need but I like great sound.

Also when you get the Adams remember to run them in with some music playing threw them for at least 8-12 hours and they will sound right, a lot of people including myself are shocked when they are first turned on and as you run them in they become magic so don't be surprised at first these are real monitors that need running in. Gentle at first with the volume then half way threw (6 hours-ish) turn them up to wear them in and to get the T10 worked in too Wink.
Wdxash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update...

My monitors were delivered last week.

After researching, I thought I’d take the plunge with a pair of Adam Audio A7X’s and an Adam Sub10 Mk2, to use at home with my Kronos 2-88. I only picked up the Kronos a few weeks ago and so far had only been playing it through my DT 990 headphones, so didn’t have particularly high expectations for monitors in comparison to the DT990’s. I needn’t have worried - wow!!! Piano is superb and all other electronic sounds are reproduced very impressively.

My room is quite small but purely used as my music studio. The Sub10 Mk2 is capable of delivering more than I need, so have it turned down a tad to create a natural and balanced sound - I’d rather have spare in reserve than be running at full to get the desired effect. The package works brilliantly together and I’m extremely pleased with my choice.

Out of curiosity I turned the volume/gain of the sub to zero so that just the A7X’s were active and played some notes on the Kronos in the lower register; the A7X’s reproduced them brilliantly but play the same notes with sub turned up a little and difference is night and day. The depth is instantly apparent in audible sound - as the chap from Adam Audio quotes, it’s deeper bass, not louder bass. A much more satisfying sound.
Wdxash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update...

After researching, I thought I’d take the plunge with a pair of Adam Audio A7X’s and an Adam Sub10 Mk2, to use at home with my Kronos 2-88. I only picked up the Kronos a few weeks ago and so far had only been playing it through my DT 990 headphones, so didn’t have particularly high expectations for monitors in comparison to the DT990’s. I needn’t have worried - wow!!! Piano is superb and all other electronic sounds are reproduced very impressively.

My room is quite small but purely used as my music studio. The Sub10 Mk2 is capable of delivering more than I need, so have it turned down a tad to create a natural and balanced sound - I’d rather have spare in reserve than be running at full to get the desired effect. The package works brilliantly together and I’m extremely pleased with my choice.

Out of curiosity I turned the volume/gain of the sub to zero so that just the A7X’s were active and played some notes on the Kronos in the lower register; the A7X’s reproduced them brilliantly but play the same notes with sub turned up a little and difference is night and day. The depth is instantly apparent in audible sound - as the chap from Adam Audio quotes, it’s deeper bass, not louder bass. A much more satisfying sound.
Wdxash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: