Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FM Tines - The Kronos Equivalent
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLR wrote:
brendanh wrote:

VGSoundtrackGuy I Would also love to see a Kronos pack of these DX/ Dyno Rhodes sounds. I would definitely purchase it, as am sure SLR would too.

I would indeed, but being the impatient sort, I’ve taken the plunge on a Yamaha MODX8. VGSountrackGuy’s stuff, and Audiolounge Urs Wiesendanger’s Rhodes Affair proved too much of a lure.

Excellent purchase. I like MODX8 - their 88 key bed/action feels very good to my fingers. Its on my shopping list for late this year
SLR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, next to the Kronos, the MODX8 is UUUUGLY....but with Rhodes Affair freshly installed ? I just close my eyes. Music heaven !! 😁

Financially, I stretched myself to get the MODX but as it’s payday next Friday, I will be straight over to VGSoundtrack Guy’s site to endulge myself yet again 🤣

I totally agree with you: The MODX8 is an excellent machine indeed. Not wishing to detract from the original post here because I REALLY wish I didn’t have to look elsewhere for what I wanted.

When & if these sounds are ported over to the Kronos, it will the ONLY piece of hardware I would ever need for music production.

Maybe the short to mid-term answer here is to plug the Kronos into a laptop and install VG’s ‘EP Heaven’ (once released) and FM Tines 2. That’s £200 UK compared to the £1330 I just spent on the MODX & Rhodes Affair. Throw in the Rhodes Affair 2 plug-in, and you will never need look any further for these ‘Disney-esque’ sounds.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the Kronos can load DX7 SYSEX files.

There are hundreds of these files on the net. You can even use the free VST Dexed to modify these free files, or use it to create your own. Then just import these into the Kronos and you have all whatever FM sounds you want.

The Kronos can even make those files better. MOD-7 has multimode filters, and you can use polyphonic unison to really fatten up the DX7 sounds.
SLR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Keep in mind that the Kronos can load DX7 SYSEX files.

There are hundreds of these files on the net. You can even use the free VST Dexed to modify these free files, or use it to create your own. Then just import these into the Kronos and you have all whatever FM sounds you want.

The Kronos can even make those files better. MOD-7 has multimode filters, and you can use polyphonic unison to really fatten up the DX7 sounds.

Yes, this is true. I've loaded hundreds of them with great results. There's no getting away from the fact the Kronos is an absolute monster, but in my personal experience, Yamaha sound designers (in-house or 3rd party) have the upper hand where these 'niche' FM Rhodes hybrid sounds are concerned. It's the ONLY area where the Kronos fails me. Well, that and the boot up time. Laughing
mieszkothomas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: FM Tines - The Kronos Equivalent Reply with quote

Well, just an update for those who wish to add this to their collection, hope that it doesn't violate any forum rules by sharing it here.

The searched continued.... I've learned to program a bit of Mod 7.... just a little bit to expand my piano collection from the wide range of dx7 files I've collected, and from members on the forum that shared them so gracefully

Anyways, I came across this the on youtube the over day ..... JD800 Crystal Rhodes SF2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGhx1wqwVGs, made contact and purchased.

The soundfonts included the following:

JD800 Crystal Rhodes
DX7ii Fulltines
LA Midi'ed Piano
JV LA Session
M1 Super E.P
T3 EP2
TG77 Ice Ring
Dark Pad

Took a while to learn how to work with sounfonts, I think i'm getting it hehehe

Having lots of fun, I'm not much one for all the software stuff, i prefer having everything on the kronos, rather then having laptop and all the other goodies

Every morning have a read through all the post
Great forum!!
Sweat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mieszkothomas wrote:
From what I experienced and someone might correct me if I’m wrong, MOD7 imports only the original dx7… the mark 1 if I can call it that, I think many times when people get to think of DX7 Tines EP’s ….what they actually hear from ballads or the Disney DX Ep’s etc I found is more DX7iiD, SY99 and TX-816 EP’s.

I agree, it is why I use this...

SLR wrote:
I use Purgatory Creek ( MKS-EP, TX-816) and Gino Quiñones (Platinum Dyno EP) the most. Superb sound sets. If you use them in combination with some MOD7 DX sounds, the results can be stunning.

Like other multisample libraries for HD-1, the 2.8GB Purgatory Creek TX-816 does a wonderful job of steaming, using minimal RAM. Busch mentions here that (another) Kronos engine could emulate TX816 EP, but would be left with only six notes of ployphony. http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=117532&start=0

Regardless, it would be nice to have a MOD7 'TX816 EP' program like that when needed. Anyone know? ...or perhaps can report on the KARO, Kid Nepro mentioned?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: