Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with MIDI on Korg Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
somestuidguitarist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Help with MIDI on Korg Kronos Reply with quote

Hi All,

I recently bought a Korg Kronos 2 and since I'm primarly a guitarist, I'm not really familiar with the advanced features. So I need some help here, especially since I'm equally as unfamiliar with MIDI.

My question is simple. Is it possible for me to write a MIDI track in reaper, and then have that track trigger the sounds from my Kronos so that I can record them in Reaper. And if so, how do I set that up?

For example, I have the Session Horns VST from Native Instruments. And I know how to use that to write horn tracks in Reaper. But there are some sounds on the Kronos that I like better. I'd like to write a MIDI track and use the sounds that are in the Kronos. Again, I have ZERO knowledge of how to set this up. My keyboard "knowledge" is limited to simply being able to play the keyboard. And my MIDI knowledge is about the same. So please be as detailed as possible with any response.

I'm currently running my Kronos into my Scarlett 6i6 interface using the main left & right outputs (TRS cables). From there, I've connected my 6i6 to my Mac via USB. I'm running Reaper for my DAW.

Thank you very much for any help!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with MIDI on Korg Kronos Reply with quote

somestuidguitarist wrote:
Hi All,

I recently bought a Korg Kronos 2 and since I'm primarly a guitarist, I'm not really familiar with the advanced features. So I need some help here, especially since I'm equally as unfamiliar with MIDI.

My question is simple. Is it possible for me to write a MIDI track in reaper, and then have that track trigger the sounds from my Kronos so that I can record them in Reaper. And if so, how do I set that up?

!

I think I understand but let me re=phrase in my own way.
I know nothing about Reaper and what instruments are built in.

You want to create and write a midi track in Reaper. Lets say 32 measures.

You want to then send over your midi performance into Kronos , and utilize some great Kronos programs.

I am stopping there because I think the reverse.

I record in SEQ , picking my favorite Kronos program etc. Then send over that track in midi to Reaper for recording
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connections-wise, you are going to need to connect your Kronos to your Mac via a USB cable for MIDI communication. You may need to download the Korg USB Driver for the Mac, which you can get here: https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/driver/1/285/1357/

The USB connection along with the driver will become your MIDI connection between Reaper and the Kronos. I don't know how to configure Reaper to recognize the Kronos, and I know nothing about how VSTs work in DAWs. Sorry. I'm sure there is a lot of info either on this site or elsewhere. Just do a search for Korg Kronos Reaper and no doubt there will be tutorial videos....

Other than that, you've already sorted out the audio bit to Reaper, so you more than halfway there.
somestuidguitarist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Thank you guys for the tips. I’ll give these a try and see how it goes.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the kronos side, all you need to do is plug in the USB cable to the USB-B port on Kronos.
Kronos is default to Midi channel 1 for playing Kronos programs and Combis.

So if you want to use Reaper midi notes to trigger the internal Kronos sounds, you need to focus on figuring out how to set Reaper to match Kronos midi channel 1.
Once the midi channel match is made, Kronos sounds will respond to any midi notes it gets from Reaper.

Work at getting Reaper sorted out to send midi notes out over midi channel 1.
Then come back to the forum here if you get any ideas to make more complex setups with Kronos after the basic midi note connection is made between Kronos and Reaper.

Kronos will act also as the audio sound card for Reaper and use Kronos output to output sound to speakers or headphones plugged into Kronos.
This also may require some setup on the Reaper side of the USB connection.
Kronos side of audio will not need setup work if you are using Kronos programs or combis to sound output. But if you want your VST sounds and Reaper audio tracks to sound out through Kronos outputs, you will need to set up Kronos Audio page for USB input.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Help with MIDI on Korg Kronos Reply with quote

somestuidguitarist wrote:
Hi All,

For example, I have the Session Horns VST from Native Instruments. And I know how to use that to write horn tracks in Reaper. But there are some sounds on the Kronos that I like better. I'd like to write a MIDI track and use the sounds that are in the Kronos. Again, I have ZERO knowledge of how to set this up. My keyboard "knowledge" is limited to simply being able to play the keyboard. And my MIDI knowledge is about the same. So please be as detailed as possible with any response.

I'm currently running my Kronos into my Scarlett 6i6 interface using the main left & right outputs (TRS cables). From there, I've connected my 6i6 to my Mac via USB. I'm running Reaper for my DAW.

Thank you very much for any help!

Record in Reaper as audio? I am NOT familiar with Reaper. Find forums for Reaper?
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: