Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to disable Rotary Speaker effect on CX-3 voices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrvegas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: How to disable Rotary Speaker effect on CX-3 voices Reply with quote

I have decided that I want to use a Motion Sound speaker cabinet with my Kronos when I am playing organ voices.

How do you edit a voice, find the Rotary speaker effect, and de-select it or turn it off?

Then, what is the easiest way to save the changes to the voice in a user bank?

Thanks in advance.
pete.m

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you edit a voice? You do it by - there is no other way of putting this - editing the voice. When you have the main page of the program in front of you, you'll see plenty of buttons on the screen which will take you into the program when pressed. After that, you'll be presented with a wide range of options to help you shape the voice in the way that suits you best.

As for the effect, once you are in Program Edit mode as above, you'll see a row of buttons along the bottom of the screen. One of them is IFX.
Click on that, and it will take you to the Insert FX page. The main page of that menu will probably have a box that tells you that the program is being effected by IFX1. You'll also see a button marked 'Routing'.
Click on that, and you'll see where you choose what effects you want, one of which will be the rotary speaker effect. Click on the 'on' button for the effect, and it will change to 'off'. Job done.

You also have the opportunity to edit the effect, so that you can easily switch it in and out, or vary its depth, when you are playing. Here is one possibility.
On the effect edit page for the Rotary speaker, you'll see the Output section at the bottom. That will probably say 'wet'. You could vary the wet and dry mix by messing with that value. Or you could click on 'Source' and select SW2 Mod from the options. Next, alter the value to '-100'. When you play the program, you'll hear the Rotary effect as normal. Click on the SW2 switch, and you'll hear the sound without the effect.

You can do an awful lot more with the effects, but that's a huge story. What I have written may sound like a lot of steps, but it takes seconds and is far easier to do than to write about. I'm also doing this from memory, and so I hope I've got it right - it's about 95% there, at least.

Once you have made your edit to the program, click on the button at the top right of the screen and select 'Program Write'. You can pick a new name for your edit, a new category and also a new location (unless you just want to overwrite what was previously there). You'll lose your edits if you don't save them in this way.

Hope this helps.
mrvegas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Pete, that is fantastic! Thanks for the in-depth solution. I really like that I can over-write the existing program and not have to save it in a user location.

Now I have another related question.

Let's say when I play live I only ever play three sounds: piano, strings and organ. The piano and strings I want to send to a regular PA system, using the default Left and Right audio outs. The organ, however, I want to send to my rotary speaker cabinet using different audio outs on the back of the Kronos. Is this possible? Do I somehow modify the organ voice (similar to how I modify it to turn off the rotary effect) to tell it to send the notes to different audio outputs?
pete.m

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is easy to do. As is often the case with the Kronos, you have more than one choice.

In Program Edit mode again, and on the IFX page again (I just checked my Kronos and the first page you come to is actually the routing page - sorry for the slight confusion), you see the section that probably says All OSCs to IFX1. Click on that, and it gives you the option to send the sound directly to any of the 12 IFX slots or - and this is the bit you want - to the various outputs. Pick the mono output (or the stereo pair) that you want.

A useful alternative if you want the sound to have some additional effect before you send it out to your speaker is to keep the All OSCs set to IFX1. Then go to the Insert FX page, and choose whatever effect you want. Further along that first FX line you'll see a column headed 'Bus Sel'. Your effect will be set to 'L/R' by default. Click on that box, and you can route it to any of the other outputs.

If you want to go further and have the sound go through more than one effect on its way out, you can also chain the insert fx. Click on the button under the 'Chain' heading and it will route it to IFX2 (or any other effect that you choose). You then use the 'Bus Sel' option for the second FX to route it out.

Don't forget to save the edits, as before.
mrvegas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it to work on some organ voices in the Internal Banks.

When I went to some of the User banks, for example the voice called Cat on a Mojo, there were fewer buttons along the bottom and IFX was not on there. Seems strange that you can't edit voices on the User banks. Is there a way around that?

p.s. does anybody know if the organ voices are mono or stereo? When I re-routed the output to the audio output 1, I wondered if I should have re-routed to 1/2.
pete.m

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have that patch on my Kronos - organ sounds rarely feature in the music I make, and so I have overwritten nearly all of them. I do still have one called 'Smoke In Japan', however, which serves as a typical-enough example of what to expect.

It is true that some program pages have fewer buttons along the bottom, and that is because there are many different types of programs. If you look at the patch I mentioned, the first button on the bottom of your program will be 'Common'. If you click on that, you'll see 'IFX' come up as an option. Your patch will be the same, I expect. You shouldn't feel that you're going to cause a problem by pressing these buttons, by the way - you won't lose anything.

It isn't true that you can't edit some of the voices. You can edit every single voice on the Kronos. The sole, minor restriction you have is with the boring GM sounds in Bank G. You can fully edit them, but you have to write them to a location outside Bank G.

Are the organ sounds mono or stereo? That depends on the individual program, and you know simply by listening to them - through headphones, if you can't be certain. Either way, it really doesn't matter whether you route to a mono or stereo output - that is your decision, depending on what you want the sound to do. For example, if you have a mono organ sound, you might decide to stick it through a stereo delay. In that case, you would probably choose to route it through stereo outputs in order to retain that feel. But there are no rules - do what takes your fancy.
whatever oy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: How close can Kronos get to CX3 circa 2005 ? Reply with quote

I perhaps should start another thread...

I use my CX3 purchased new in 2005 as a more than passable B3

Bad news, PARTS are not available for my prized Organ clone.
I would consider a Kronos but suspect the CX3 is progtamed a little differently.

Have any of the devotees of CX3 used a Kronos for precise CX3 sounds?
Are there sliders that can substitute for drawbars for one set of sounds ?

Any assistance in keeping the CX3 flame burning would be appreciated, including parts for CX3.
Thank you
pete.m

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would recommend starting another thread. There has been quite a bit of discussion on the relative merits of the Kronos' organ sounds down the years, and giving your post its own specific heading is likely to grab the attention of users who have that particular interest, rather than it being tucked away here. Hope you get some answers.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any of the Programs using the CX-3 engine, the Rotary Speaker is not in the IFX, it is part of the EXi itself. Touch the EXi tab and you will see another tab for the Rotary Speaker. On that page there is a check box to disable it.

To find the IFX in the CX-3 engine you need to touch the Common Tab, not the EXi tab. That will get you to many pages, including the IFX and Master FX.

Regards,

Jerry
mrvegas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I have another question about the Hammond organ programs. I see how there are all the usual Hammond settings such as chorus, vibrato and percussion ... that signature second or third harmonic clicking sound. I wonder it there is a way to edit a program so that you could turn the percussion feature on and off without having to go into edit mode, etc. etc. like when you''re playing live and just want to click a switch or press a pedal to turn it on or off????
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To edit any program or combi while playing live --

Touch the tab that says Control Surface. This screen represents all the physical sliders, buttons, and knobs -- the physical Control Surface.

To edit a single organ program, it's enough to press the Tone Adjust tab on the screen, or its corresponding physical button (2nd column from left, bottom button). Then you'll see one of the buttons (#4) is assigned to turn Percussion on/off. Also, note that the sliders are now drawbars as well.

From Combi mode, once you go to the Tone Adjust page, look on the upper right where it says "Timbre". Choose the timbre number that matches your organ. Now you can use the sliders as drawbars or toggle percussion, vibrato, chorus, etc.
IAA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
way to edit a program so that you could turn the percussion feature on and off without having to go into edit mode

Yes. most organ patches have sw1 and sw2 as percussion on/off or vib on/off.
You can set it how you prefer?

I’d recommend reading the manual, everything you want to do is well within the Kronos capabilities.

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: