Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to route Karma output to midi out?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomto66

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: How to route Karma output to midi out? Reply with quote

For the love of me I can't seem to get karma midi out of my Kronos. In Global I have karma module to midi out enabled... I can get global data out on midi 1, and I can get e.g. drum track midi out on midi 10 - but no karma midi out ... Any clue how to do that?
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of weird how this works. If you're in combi mode, the timbres that KARMA plays need to be set to EXT or EX2 (on the Timbre Parameters / MIDI screen) in order for those midi notes to be sent out. And if you do that, then the internal Kronos sounds on those timbres won't play at all. If in combi mode and you want both the Kronos sounds and your external synths to sound, you will need up to four open timbre slots in your combi in order to set them to EXT for MIDI out. They are basically dummy timbres specifically for sending MIDI out. This way, you leave your original Kronos sounds set to INT and they'll play fine. This is how it works for me. I could be missing something obvious though... there might be a better way.

But another way is if you copy your combi into a SEQ song, you can set the status of those timbres to BTH, which will play your internal sounds and send out the MIDI from KARMA without the need for the extra dummy timbres.

Does that make sense?
tomto66

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx mr or mrs HardSync - I'll give the EXT method a shot tomorrow!
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma has “thru in Z” and “thru out Z”, per module.
I know for sure that one of those controls wether the zoned keys played under finger, will sound out in addition to Karma GE notes being played.

The other one does what? Out of zone keys enabled or not?
I don’t have Kronos to test the curiosity, but it is the first thing i would look at if i had the same issue.

The other thing is what your Midi I/O setup is on the GE setup page.
Input set to Gch will see that Karma is taking midi input from the Keys that work for Kronos global channel. Then Karma will send that midi to output on any midi channel you want as long as you set that channel in the output side of Midi I/O per module.
Getting the midi out is proven by receiving it on the external device which has to match Karma module output midi-channel if it is to receive midi out from Karma module.
Normally no need to set Kronos to EXT to send midi out. Global channel will automatically send all notes out to anything on the same channel.
The timbre midi channel has to be set to match Karma output midi channel if it is to receive Karma GE notes, and then any external device has to be set to match the midi channel shared in common by Karma module output and the Karma assigned timbre.
Drum track works on Channel 10 as default and channel 10 gets set as the drum program timbre midi channel, as well as in the drum track midi channel select.

So if your Karma module is set up to output on a channel and the timbre channel is set to the same channel, it should be set up to work just like Drum track where drum track is set to output on channel 10 and then it gets received on any timbre set to Channel 10.
Karma should be received on any timbre set to the module output channel as well as any external device set to the same Channel.
If you already got all that sorted out and still no luck, then i would think that
HardSync is right about the special exception in Karma midi routing.
And HardSync’s mention of EXT settings or using the “Both” setting in Sequencer, sounds like the only other option to me.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct answer is:

Copy the Combi into Seq Mode. Set the Track Status of the KARMA-played tracks to 'BTH'.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: