Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Song structure dilema

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dawnbell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Song structure dilema Reply with quote

Hello there,

I am not sure if anyone else has encountered the same situation, but I am really scratching my head over this.

I play keyboard for our small church worship team. We rehearse every week, but sometimes during live service, not all things go the way as we rehearsed. For instance, we have a song of 8-measure verse, 4-measure chorus. There is a 1-measure break in between the verse and chorus. During live, instead of 1-measure, the lead singer lost track and took a 2-measure break. So, by the time the singer starts chorus, the keyboard is on the second measure of the chorus already, which messes up the accompaniment. How to fix situation like this? I thought about using the "stop" sync button, which will make the accompaniment start from first measure, but that brings a sudden silence to the accompaniment, which is not good either. Are there any other work-around?

Self-taught keyboard newbie. Humbled and grateful for this forum. Korg PA700 + TC Helicon Perform-VK
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Song structure dilema Reply with quote

Dawnbell wrote:
Hello there,

I am not sure if anyone else has encountered the same situation, but I am really scratching my head over this.

I play keyboard for our small church worship team. We rehearse every week, but sometimes during live service, not all things go the way as we rehearsed. For instance, we have a song of 8-measure verse, 4-measure chorus. There is a 1-measure break in between the verse and chorus. During live, instead of 1-measure, the lead singer lost track and took a 2-measure break. So, by the time the singer starts chorus, the keyboard is on the second measure of the chorus already, which messes up the accompaniment. How to fix situation like this? I thought about using the "stop" sync button, which will make the accompaniment start from first measure, but that brings a sudden silence to the accompaniment, which is not good either. Are there any other work-around?

You could try putting a Fill In when the lead singer comes in and it will restart the style from measure 1 again. I have had issues like that too with choirs and praise band singers in the past. If the singer comes in late, put a Fill in there and it will restart the style progression from measure 1.

This works if you are playing the keyboard live with the styles. If you are sequencing anything or playing an MP3 from the PA700, it will not sync up.

If the singers look to you for their cues during the songs, then I would make a very obvious head nod when they are supposed to come in. If you are playing live, then you could put a Fill before going into the next part of the song as well. this kind of gives them the cue that something is supposed to happen. If you decide this, make sure to tell them to listen for a 'drum solo' or something before coming in again Smile

I am not sure if there is a way to reset the measures with a foot pedal or not.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Dawnbell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Hesitate to use fill Reply with quote

Thanks Harry, for taking time to reply. I appreciate your input.

Using a fill sounds like a good solution, I will definitely give it a try. I hesitated to use auto fill function because for many styles, I can't find the perfect time to press the auto fill button, which results a very odd sounding fill. When should I press the auto fill button anyways? I have been puzzled by it.

Self-taught keyboard newbie. Humbled and grateful for this forum. Korg PA700 + TC Helicon Perform-VK
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hesitate to use fill Reply with quote

Dawnbell wrote:
Thanks Harry, for taking time to reply. I appreciate your input.

Using a fill sounds like a good solution, I will definitely give it a try. I hesitated to use auto fill function because for many styles, I can't find the perfect time to press the auto fill button, which results a very odd sounding fill. When should I press the auto fill button anyways? I have been puzzled by it.

I am glad to help. I ALWAYS use the Auto-Fill option. I usually hit it at beat 2 or 3 and it will activate the fill in the measure you are currently in. This will give you a quick way to get the style pattern back to measure 1 in a pinch. If you want to make the fill go into the next measure, then do it closer to the end of the measure you are in. It should default to do a full 1 (or sometimes 2, but mostly, 1) measure fill and then the style will go back to measure 1,

If the singer(s) are way out of sync with the song, I would use the Break button instead and cue them that you are bringing them back into the song Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
B.Safe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Song structure dilema Reply with quote

Dawnbell wrote:
Hello there,

This is a very common situation when accompanying people who are not used to singing with a soundtrack or styles, especially when they are not familiar with the song.

You can use the Reset/Tap Tempo button.
Actually, when the Style is in progress, this button immediately restarts at beat 1 of the first bar of the current variation, which is very convenient for resynchronizing the PA with the singer.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Song structure dilema Reply with quote

B.Safe wrote:
Dawnbell wrote:
Hello there,

This is a very common situation when accompanying people who are not used to singing with a soundtrack or styles, especially when they are not familiar with the song.

You can use the Reset/Tap Tempo button.
Actually, when the Style is in progress, this button immediately restarts at beat 1 of the first bar of the current variation, which is very convenient for resynchronizing the PA with the singer.

I wondered if that is what that button did, in addition to setting the tempo via 'tap' method.

Yamaha has been promoting, pretty heavily in the new PSR-SX series, its new function of being able to start the measure from the beginning with the press of a pedal. It is nice to see Korg was already on that issue before Yamaha was...

I am glad to know this answer, myself, and hope that it will benefit the OP as well Smile

Grace,
Harry
B.Safe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Song structure dilema Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
It is nice to see Korg was already on that issue before Yamaha was...

Yes, this function was already present in the PA800, but is not described in the manual. Just the RESET indication on the button.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Song structure dilema Reply with quote

B.Safe wrote:
Musicwithharry wrote:
It is nice to see Korg was already on that issue before Yamaha was...

Yes, this function was already present in the PA800, but is not described in the manual. Just the RESET indication on the button.

I skimmed the PA700 manual as well yesterday and could not find a specific page or anything that had the feature listed.

I tried it today and it indeed works. I also tried to assign another pedal to be able to activate that, and I could not get it to work. It was not listed in the choices for choosing what the assignable pedal could do...that is where they could add a feature, in my book. Maybe I just did not see it, but I read through the list of things that I could get the assignable pedal to do...maybe I missed it...

Grace,
Harry
Dawnbell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, didn’t expect such a simple solution. I will try it tomorrow. Thank you!

B.Safe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Song structure dilema Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
I also tried to assign another pedal to be able to activate that, and I could not get it to work. It was not listed in the choices for choosing what the assignable pedal could do...that is where they could add a feature, in my book. Maybe I just did not see it, but I read through the list of things that I could get the assignable pedal to do...maybe I missed it...

Harry,
you missed it because you were looking through the pedal assignments.
As it is a binary function, you will find it more easily in the switch assignments Wink
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Song structure dilema Reply with quote

B.Safe wrote:
Musicwithharry wrote:
I also tried to assign another pedal to be able to activate that, and I could not get it to work. It was not listed in the choices for choosing what the assignable pedal could do...that is where they could add a feature, in my book. Maybe I just did not see it, but I read through the list of things that I could get the assignable pedal to do...maybe I missed it...

Harry,
you missed it because you were looking through the pedal assignments.
As it is a binary function, you will find it more easily in the switch assignments Wink

Thank you again Smile

I will probably dig a bit deeper on Thursday, since I have a day off Smile

I was out of town today, drove 366 miles round trip for my 5 performances today.

Grace,
Harry
Dawnbell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Thank you all for replying! Reply with quote

Thank you all for providing help and guidance to my question. Just within the first week of my membership on this forum. I've learned how to use the Auto Fill & the Tempo Reset functions. They are very handy and very good! Thanks again everybody!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: