Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording to External Device

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mypupdaisy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Recording to External Device Reply with quote

I'm using a Yamaha MD4 minidisc mixer to record my Krome performances. I'm running 1/4" L/R out from the Krome into the MD4 Line in. What's strange is that the Krome outputs are controlled by the volume control. Figured it would have balanced outputs to run into a stage amp or mixer for recording. I know, should have read the manual before buying, but it's not a big deal.... just need to figure out the best way to do this. This has caused some oddities with my mixer. Have to keep the volume real low.

Anyone else recording into a mixer and how is this working out for you?

I'm thinking about ordering a Roland GO:Mixer Audio Mixer for Smartphones. Anyone use one of these?

Thanks in advanced.
mypupdaisy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add... in the end, I need my music in MP3 format.

Thanks
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that I do not fully understand what the problem is...

You are trying to record to the Mini Disc recorder/mixer and the volume is too loud going into the recorder portion of the MD4?

You have gain/input trim controls on the MD4 (according to the pictures, each channel has a Gain knob), then I would turn those down and raise the volume of the Krome. There are many people who recommend that the instrument be turned up pretty high, or even at full volume...

I usually set my volume levels of my synths up to at least 50% when going into the mixer. I set the gain staging of each channel to be where it just sits below clipping so I do not overload the channels.

You may be better off looking at getting a new recorder/mixer; say something from Tascam that can record WAV files and then you can convert them to MP3 on your computer.

The stand lone 2-track field recorders also have options for selecting the type of file you want to record to. I would recommend WAV and then converting 'down' to MP3 (whichever resolution of MP3 you like).

I am not aware of too many synths that offer balanced outs. In my experience, the balanced out options are usually reserved for stage pianos, (Kawai MP11, Roland RD series, Korg Grandstage, etc...). Maybe the Kronos does, but the Krome/Kross/etc... do not. This is not a limitation of the instrument.

I would consider getting another medium for recording other than the MiniDisc. I considered getting one of those back in the dfay (in the 1990's) and chose Digital Compact Cassette (DCC) over MiniDisc (MD). The problem with both of those formats is that they didn't just do audio compression of the signal being recorded; they performed 'data omission'. They were digital and certainly cleaner than cassette, but compared to DAT recordings, they were inferior. I ended up buying a DAT recorder as well and then got a stand alone CD burner. Oftentimes, the media on these older devices can be hard to find and when you do find them, they can often be expensive to get new media. They will wear out over time and with lots of use.

You can find a Tascam DP-004 (used, since they upgraded that unit into the DP-006) for well under $100 USD these days.

With today's technology, you could get an audio interface as well, a 2-channel- unit and record straight into a computer. Then you could easily convert the media in a DAW to any format you wish.

If you want to stay with the stand alone media recording, the Tascam or Fostex units are really the way to go. In my studio, I have a PC for manipulating file formats and mastering, as well as a DAW for certain recordings, but most of my multi-track sessions still go into a stand alone unit. In my case, I use the Tascam DP-32SD. I have even used an older Tascam DP-008 8-track unit for recordings. They are recorded as WAV files natively in the units and then once transferred to the PC, I can make MP3 files for everything if I choose.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
mypupdaisy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, fantastic reply and thanks! I only am using the MD4 because it's what I currently have, so it's a no $$ solution for right now. I know it's a poor solution, but I just put out the $$ for the Krome and was just looking for a temp device and it's all I have. In the end, I am thinking I will probably do the Roland Go mixer for Smartphones ($99) and connect it to my iPad and record it to a DAW app. I just don't have the money right now. I appreciate the information. I will try putting the Krome at 50% and then lower the gain on the inputs.

Thanks again.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mypupdaisy wrote:
Wow, fantastic reply and thanks! I only am using the MD4 because it's what I currently have, so it's a no $$ solution for right now. I know it's a poor solution, but I just put out the $$ for the Krome and was just looking for a temp device and it's all I have. In the end, I am thinking I will probably do the Roland Go mixer for Smartphones ($99) and connect it to my iPad and record it to a DAW app. I just don't have the money right now. I appreciate the information. I will try putting the Krome at 50% and then lower the gain on the inputs.

Thanks again.

I glad that you have a solution in mind Smile

I was not saying that your current setup was a poor one. In fact, I still have that Philips stand alone CD burner in my studio Smile I also have a dual cassette deck as well Smile

I got rid of the DAT recorder when I started really getting into archiving my data on the PC, in the cloud, and on external HDDs.

I got rid of the DCC recorders (I had two of them, one a Magnavox I got for $300 new and a Radio Shack unit I bought new for $800 back in the day). Once the recording medium became hard to find and hideously expensive on eBay, I knew it was time to jump out of that format.

With that said, getting a Tascam unit, even the 4-track unit, is a well under $100 option. It records to SD cards and my DP-008 has never failed me Smile

My DP-32SD also a great unit, but it is more expensive - around $500 new. That is a planned purchase for most, I would think. I understand about the funds being directed to other things.

I have looked into the Roland GO:Mixer thing too and it will not really work too well for what I do. Maybe down the road, it would be a neat way to make recordings both video and audio, on the road...

With regard to the Tascam DP-004, the cheapest I have found is $60.00 at Music Go Round online. If you are in the USA, it might be an option for you...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
mypupdaisy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my Wife surprised me and bought me the Roland GO Mixer for Smartphones. Connected it to my iPad and Krome and recording was simple. Very cool. Easy to use and quick.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mypupdaisy wrote:
So my Wife surprised me and bought me the Roland GO Mixer for Smartphones. Connected it to my iPad and Krome and recording was simple. Very cool. Easy to use and quick.

Well, there ya go Smile I am glad that it is working for you Smile

Grace,
Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: