Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos MIDI Misconceptions. Help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arapahoe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Kronos MIDI Misconceptions. Help! Reply with quote

Hoping someone will help me with this.

I feel I have a total misconception about how KK handles midi in general and midi out to Cubase Pro specifically.

I’m trying to understand how I can control VST instruments within Cubase and also in Vienna Ensemble Pro 7. I want to use the keyboard split in combination mode but be able to send midi information to Cubase or VSL Pro. Not using programs within KK. I try to use Ext and Ext2 but nothing works. I can play all the VSTI’s in Cubase but I can’t figure out how to send specific midi channels to specific instruments.

As far as I can tell KK just sends info on 1g all the time and won’t communicate with external vst instruments on different channels.

Also I’m only connected to Cubase via usb. I’m not using a midi interface and midi cables, just the usb connection

I just think I have a HUGE misunderstanding of KK midi and I’m really needing a way understand.

Thanks for any help
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I saw your request for help in the other topic. I can try to help isolate the problem, but first a disclaimer: I have no experience with VSTs, Cubase or any other DAW. The only software I use is MIDI-OX as a MIDI router and (sometimes) a troubleshooter. So I might not be the best qualified to help in this instance.

So, basics first: Do you have the Korg USB MIDI driver installed?

If so, does the Kronos appear as one of the MIDI instruments or ports in Cubase?

You do mention that you are getting MIDI from the Kronos on the global channel only... So something is happening and if you answer yes to the two questions above, then it might be a configuration thing in Cubase... but I don't know. If you have MIDI-OX, we can use that to confirm that the Kronos is transmitting on other MIDI channels... (Btw, the Kronos will always transmit midi on its global channel regardless.)

Since I mentioned that, I have to ask the obvious: Have you set up your combi so that the your keyboard split transmits on the desired MIDI channels on the Timbre Parameters / MIDI screen?

One quick way to test things is to change the Kronos's global channel to another MIDI channel to see if it plays one of your external VSTs...
arapahoe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks HS! I’m reviewing you questions to make sure I can give the most succinct answers and not waste your time.

Back in a bit

Thanks again for answering
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: