Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This EXs (176) is killing it... what's your favorite?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeskeys

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: This EXs (176) is killing it... what's your favorite? Reply with quote

I could not tear myself away from the Sounds of Planet "Energy". I love esoteric synth tones and this library is very, very well done, including Karma and drum track selections. I've purchased a handful of expansions but this one is worth every penny of the very affordable price.

I am not affiliated in any way with the vendor.

Which one do you love?
SoundsOfPlanet
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: This EXs (176) is killing it... what's your favorite? Reply with quote

yeskeys wrote:
I could not tear myself away from the Sounds of Planet "Energy". I love esoteric synth tones and this library is very, very well done, including Karma and drum track selections. I've purchased a handful of expansions but this one is worth every penny of the very affordable price.

I am not affiliated in any way with the vendor.

Which one do you love?

Hello

I am glad that you have found and installed my EX’s 176 sound pack and that this is your favourite library !

Regarding your comment – well, it leaves me nothing more than just to accept you to be a member of my family Smile Thanks ! Very Happy

Greetings
Sounds of Planet

http://www.soundsofplanet.com/
one Man -one Kronos- and new sounds by Sounds of Planet
yeskeys

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm particularly fond of tones like "Vader DubStep", uses your MS 00020:Dub 4 SoP multisample. How did you make that sample? Sounds kind of like a distorted bass guitar a la Chris Squire with some HPF.

(I guess it borders on blasphemy to praise sampled synth tones when the Kronos itself has such powerful and immense synthesis power. Did you use the Kronos itself to generate the multisample??)

Thanks again for your work, this one's a home run.
Eric
Korg Karma module, Kronos61, SEQUENTIAL PRO3, DSI OB6, Oberheim OB8, XStation25, Yamaha MFC (for Karma Pads), Omnisphere, guitars by Tom Anderson, Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, D'Angelico, Parker, Line6, Guitar Processors by Fractal Audio, Amplification by Mesa, Carvin, w/Celestion V30(!)
yeskeys

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I isolated a few of the multisamples from this set and found with some programming, and especially applying some of the IFXs, I was able to pretty closely simulate these raw waveforms on the Kronos itself.

So thanks for the inspiration. I specifically honed in on the MOD7.
I never liked the DX7 and was pretty turned off to the timbres generated by FM on it, was never anywhere near as interesting as the MOD7, is this because the DX7 only used sine wave carriers/modulators? By contrast I had the TG77 and loved it's more complex tonalities, I'm sure the effects didn't hurt.
Korg Karma module, Kronos61, SEQUENTIAL PRO3, DSI OB6, Oberheim OB8, XStation25, Yamaha MFC (for Karma Pads), Omnisphere, guitars by Tom Anderson, Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, D'Angelico, Parker, Line6, Guitar Processors by Fractal Audio, Amplification by Mesa, Carvin, w/Celestion V30(!)
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeskeys wrote:
I specifically honed in on the MOD7.
I never liked the DX7 and was pretty turned off to the timbres generated by FM on it, was never anywhere near as interesting as the MOD7, is this because the DX7 only used sine wave carriers/modulators?

Correct, the DX series only had sine waves. The first generation didn't even have polyphonic unison. Try that in MOD7, it really thickens up the sound. But be careful of those sines -- the sub energies can start to distort the engine. Putting a Mastering Limiter on TFX2 can tame that.

I think over time, the sound designers learned a bit more on what FM can do. To emulate acoustic instruments more closely, it helps to see a spectrograph of the sound so you can see what harmonics you need to re-create in FM.

Of course with MOD7, you have access to saw, square, triangle, PCM, noise, and all the waveshaper waves. And make-your-won algorithms. Extensive AMS capabilities, double engine, modern FX, etc, so it's easy to see why Kronos MOD7 sounds are much better than DX7 sounds (which I'm sure you know you can load into the Kronos as well).

Quote:
By contrast I had the TG77 and loved it's more complex tonalities, I'm sure the effects didn't hurt.

Funny you mention this, I just got a TG77 about a month ago. I've been on a mission to learn it, and deconstruct some old patches. It has a few more waveforms other than sine. The sample portion is nifty, but the quality of some of the samples is so-so. It's much better in MOD7. TG77 does have some really nice sounds, and again it's great knowing that MOD7 can do everything it can, and more.

MOD7 is super powerful, don't forget to check out the Waveshaper in it. Try changing the OSC waveform from Sine to (Sine +Waveshaper). Click on the Waveshaper Drive, and then in the upper right, put a slow LFO on it with Intensity about 9dB to sweep through the drive. Then on the dropdown for the Waveshaper table, click on the safety pin to "lock" open the window, and go to town clicking on various waves to hear how they sound. So much you can do with just one OSC!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: