Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wavesequence option

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeskeys

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Wavesequence option Reply with quote

I used to love my Oberheim Xpander because you could set up six patches in multi-timbral mode, and every note on event would cycle through them, generating a different sound every time you would play a new note.

So I was psyched when I found that I could do close the same thing with a wavesequence, by 1) turning off Run, and 2)turning on Note Advance.

Assign that WS to a new HD1 program (polyphonic).

You can then play each step of the WS polyphonically, until you release all notes and then the next step of the WS can be played, etc. OR just play a melody with a different sample on each note.

This can also sound really interesting when using Karma - depending on the GE, each WS step might play polyphonically and then step forward, or every note will advance the wavesequence.

What I don't understand is why this very powerful technique isn't employed in most, if not all, the factory presets.
Korg Karma module, Kronos61, SEQUENTIAL PRO3, DSI OB6, Oberheim OB8, XStation25, Yamaha MFC (for Karma Pads), Omnisphere, guitars by Tom Anderson, Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, D'Angelico, Parker, Line6, Guitar Processors by Fractal Audio, Amplification by Mesa, Carvin, w/Celestion V30(!)
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, great to see someone else exploring the wave sequence feature! They say the Kronos has 9 engines, but I really consider this the 10th.

I don't know why there aren't more presets, it really seems underutilized. The Note-On advance is really useful, and I think several 3rd party expansions use the technique to get round robin sample playback.

You can also sync the wavesequence so that it will play along in time to MIDI clock. You have to de-select Note Sync to do this. Otherwise, if you enable Note-Sync, it plays immediately after key press, ignoring the clock.

The Kronos has all the rom sounds from the original Wavestation. It also has most of the Prophet VS waves. And there are also many single-cycle waves you can load up as well.

Check out Postman's contribution. He basically re-created the Wavestation factory presets.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=97573&highlight=wavestation
yeskeys

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to go to NAMM back in the day. I'll never forget the first time I heard the Wavestation, I was utterly blown away! Of course the concept was brand new, the Korg demo had all that s**t synchronized and I about had a heart attack. I actually took out a loan to buy one the second it came out. I eventually got the AD, and then the 1 rack SR, which really sounded terrible compared to the AD.

They were a huge pain to program however, the Kronos makes it so easy and adds some great features. I only wish the steps could access the entire range of samples, meaning the DRUM SAMPLES. Am I missing something?
Korg Karma module, Kronos61, SEQUENTIAL PRO3, DSI OB6, Oberheim OB8, XStation25, Yamaha MFC (for Karma Pads), Omnisphere, guitars by Tom Anderson, Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, D'Angelico, Parker, Line6, Guitar Processors by Fractal Audio, Amplification by Mesa, Carvin, w/Celestion V30(!)
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an easy and fun experiment, try what you mention with the five following samples in EXs1 ROM Expansion Mono : 0134 to 0138, named PC Voice 1-14 to PC Voice 1-18. Wink

As a side note, I owned a WS A/D as well. Before I sold it to buy my new K2, I sampled the best programs I made out of it and also took note of how my favorite custom programs were made. The Kronos can do exactly the same and so much more.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised that you can't access any of the DrumSamples in the HD1 engine. Looks like it's best to import custom drums.

For basic work, there are some drum samples in the Wavestation category (found between the Synth Waves and Single Waves). They're 911-922.

====

I tried out waves Exs1 mono 134-145. It's not quite Speak and Spell. To me it sounds like it's saying:

K O R C K what time is sysex dot oh k.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
I tried out waves Exs1 mono 134-145. It's not quite Speak and Spell. To me it sounds like it's saying:

K O R C K what time is sysex dot oh k.

Thanks to have tried this too. Some sounds are indeed quite tough to decipher I might say. Very Happy
On my side, after KORG (or KORK Laughing) I guess I'm hearing : wow time say SYSEX duh pool. Shocked Laughing
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two aspects of the Wavesequences that I've never seen used either in factory sounds or third party :

1°) Using a HD-1 Prog with two osc, its possible to set a delay for one of the OSC (up to 5,000 ms). So, when you play a note, the OSC 1 is playing immediatly and the OSC 2 plays after the delay time.
As a wavesequence can use up to 64 steps, its possible to play two wavesequences, one after the other and so, to get a 128 steps sequence !!! Of course, we have to do the right timing setting.

2°) As its possible to set the step durations down to 10ms, we are near of the granular synthesis caracteristic. Here is a point good to explore.

3°) A more common point : its possible to set two samples playing on the same velocity setting, on one OSC, its so possible to get 4 wavesequences playing at the same time just on one HD-1 Prog !
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
Here are two aspects of the Wavesequences that I've never seen used either in factory sounds or third party :

1°) Using a HD-1 Prog with two osc, its possible to set a delay for one of the OSC (up to 5,000 ms). So, when you play a note, the OSC 1 is playing immediatly and the OSC 2 plays after the delay time.
As a wavesequence can use up to 64 steps, its possible to play two wavesequences, one after the other and so, to get a 128 steps sequence !!! Of course, we have to do the right timing setting.

Nice. That's a lot of steps. If your goal is to use the wavesequences rhythmically (locked to MIDI clock), then you can also program OSC2 WS so that its first step is a rest or volume 0. Then OSC1 can play the first measure, and OSC2 will follow in time thereafter.

Quote:
2°) As its possible to set the step durations down to 10ms, we are near of the granular synthesis caracteristic. Here is a point good to explore.

Thinking about granular synthesis, I made a few different wavesequences with very related waveforms for each step. I tried several crossfade types or times -- 0 to 40ms, log or linear or exponential. It sounds *somewhat* granular. Using an LFO to modulate the Position improves it a bit.

In the end, I found making a good WS normally then sending it through the Grain Shifter FX gets a good granular experience.

It would have been nice if Korg tweaked the WS engine so that it could scan and play individual samples. It seems that wavetable synthesis is all the rage now.

Quote:
3°) A more common point : its possible to set two samples playing on the same velocity setting, on one OSC, its so possible to get 4 wavesequences playing at the same time just on one HD-1 Prog !

Yes! One WS can be kick/snare, and the other HH. Then each HD1 program becomes a drumkit beat where you can fade in OSCs or Programs/beats as needed. You can then even make layers in combis for more monster WS madness Twisted Evil
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:

What an awesome tip! Technically there’s nothing stopping you from continuously chaining wavesequences from different programs in a combi till you run out of delay start time. Not sure what the maximum delay start is off the top of my head.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

What an awesome tip! Technically there’s nothing stopping you from continuously chaining wavesequences from different programs in a combi till you run out of delay start time. Not sure what the maximum delay start is off the top of my head.

Very good idea too ! In Combination mode, the Maximum Delay time for each timbre is 6,000 ms (6 s), no more. It's one second more than in Prog Mode. But, I guess it's possible to reach a very complex sequence (considering the 5s delay in Prog Mode and 6s delay in Combi Mode).
But there is one more possibility in Combi : triggering a Timbre in Key-Off mode. So a last wavesquences can be triggered after releasing all keys.

And then, why not sampling this large sequence in a new Multisample which will be the first step of a new wavesequence !!! Amazing : in theory we can create a wavesequence with an infinite number of steps !!
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha infinite wave sequences with sampling!

Liviou2004 wrote:
the Maximum Delay time for each timbre is 6,000 ms (6 s), no more. It's one second more than in Prog Mode. But, I guess it's possible to reach a very complex sequence (considering the 5s delay in Prog Mode and 6s delay in Combi Mode).

So check it out, in Combi mode you have that six second delay you were talking about, but you can also switch it to tempo instead of time in order to delay by a note value Surprised
The largest note value you can choose is a whole note... buuut you can also choose how many whole notes (!) With the multiplier at maximum it's possible to delay the start of a program by up to 32 whole notes. Plenty of time to create a very long wave sequence! I'm sure you can chain together quite a few sequences that way like you were saying.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
haha infinite wave sequences with sampling!

Liviou2004 wrote:
the Maximum Delay time for each timbre is 6,000 ms (6 s), no more. It's one second more than in Prog Mode. But, I guess it's possible to reach a very complex sequence (considering the 5s delay in Prog Mode and 6s delay in Combi Mode).

So check it out, in Combi mode you have that six second delay you were talking about, but you can also switch it to tempo instead of time in order to delay by a note value Surprised
The largest note value you can choose is a whole note... buuut you can also choose how many whole notes (!) With the multiplier at maximum it's possible to delay the start of a program by up to 32 whole notes. Plenty of time to create a very long wave sequence! I'm sure you can chain together quite a few sequences that way like you were saying.

Yes, that's right ! Now, we just have to practice and test !!

(Considering the huge possibilities offered by the Wavesequences tool, I agree with Psionic who says it could be called the 10th engine.)
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another very interesting feature : It is possible to expand or compress the duration of a wavesequence thanks to the "Duration" parameter.
It can be set from 1% to 400%. If set to 100% the duration is unchanged. But if 1%, the initial duration is divided by 100 ! "Duration" can be modulated by an AMS as a S&H LFO for instance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: